Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Stages of development with the site - Please Read...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Stages of development with the site - Please Read...

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 02:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Just so that you're more intune with what's going on and get a good overall picture of the new site and it's condition.

This is raw's site, he's spent the past month or so working on it and learning how to deploy and managed a phpbb. I was invited back last night by raw to help style the site into it's original condition (and considering i styled the original site, I should be the most knowledgable man for the job to get it back there). raw has other admins working on icons, and managing content.

The site is a phpbb, pretty much at stock, with an imported database of 10,000 accounts from q3w (10,000 which were actually used, opposed to all 45,000). If you were at q3w, you will EITHER have your old account here or will have had your new account here updated with your old postcount and reg date (depending on if your new account has the same name as your old one). Either way, you have an account on this board with your old postcount/reg date either way. The tricky part is wether you can access your account. You may have forgotten your password, if you have, I regret to inform you that CURRENTLY the smtp mail server is offline and not sending out password requests. This is an issue raw is presuing with IGN and there is nothing we can do to resolve this at the moment. A lot of you have registered your new account names and want your old account details moving to the new account, this IS possible, but very long and labourious. Thus, I will be setting up a new thread where I can help you help me get your stuff sorted. This is to follow.

For the next few weeks, raw is going to be processing his task list of jobs to do on the site and I'll be working in the styling aspect. For icon issues, DooMer has setup a new thread to deploy these, use this to request icons. If you have any comments, feedback, or suggestions, please post in this thread.

DO NO POST THE FOLLOWING IN THIS THREAD:
* Icon requests
* Account switching requests
* Password requests

THE PASSWORD ISSUE IS A BITCH FOR EVERYONE, US AND YOU! We are working to resolve this, please please please, be patient.

Last edited by Turbanator on 02-20-2005 03:34 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 02:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so, if people decide to make a big life change to their internet personality by getting crazy and throwing a few new syllables into the old account, what you're basically saying is you won't take 160 hours to hack what boils down to petty, insignificant changes for meager return and most likely whining about some other ridiculous minutia?
can I call you a prick here or do I have to do it in R&R, turb.

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 02:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's not as hard as I've probably made out, but the job could be either a complete pain in the ass if I have no co-operation from the end users, or a piece of piss (copy pasting a load sql queries over and over again) if they help out and provide the relevant information (ie: account numbers).

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 04:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:

K i'm going to be stupid (possibly)

I assume if I want my Rush account and it's already been transferred over to here (it's in the memberlist), then I don't need to register my Rush account here and have the previous account details merged
I just need to remember my password

Is this right?

yes, or you can request the pass as soon as the mail server is online

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 04:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Topic listing and thread views are done.

Posting view, index view and other bits and bats left...

opinions on the forum and thread views anyone?

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 04:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
sorry for starting another thread before seeing this one

can you give us some sort of link at the bottom of the pages to go back to the index?

..and darken the white posting bg a few shades?

a) click go
b) i'll be doing the posting view later...

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 04:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
Turbanator wrote:
riddla wrote:
sorry for starting another thread before seeing this one

can you give us some sort of link at the bottom of the pages to go back to the index?

..and darken the white posting bg a few shades?

a) click go
b) i'll be doing the posting view later...

clarification, the index of the entire board, not just the forum you're in ;)

I'll add a link in the footer...

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 04:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

done

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 06:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what about using an external SMTP until IGN can get thier shit into gear ? we have enough people on here with thier own servers that i'm sure someone could lend you some bandwith for a while :paranoid:

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 08:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just make it look like it did and I will be happy

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 11:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Turbie to the rescue; again.

Thanks man..

no really, I mean that.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 03:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just curious if you've thought about possibly condensing the header so more posts/threads fit on the screen?

kinda like moving all the clutter buttons up to the top in a toolbar; sort of like the navigation frame that the old UBB would run in if you went in from the links on the forum listing. (the bar at the top with the refresh button on it and stuff)
here is a very quick hack-job visual aid.

btw... good work turbie... really starting to fee like home already. :icon14:

Strogger Than You
Strogger Than You
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 04:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not much of a big deal here, but I've noticed the new q3w is wider than the old one. For example, http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/013172.html

If at any point this could be fixed, awesome; if not, it's still cool.

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 05:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a question is there any purpose for the Image icon? We already have the folders to indicate which threads have a new reply.

Approaching the singularity
Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 07:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if you click it you go directly to the oldest unread post

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 08:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plus i like it because it makes the newly replied topics stand out more :)

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 08:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hm... what about the lem + programming merge? it seems pretty pointless

no u
no u
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 08:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes and serveradmin + *nix seems odd. Im sure it will get sorted though.

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 09:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

reason is because the traffic is so low right now... 20 dead, unvisited forums will eventually kill the site, 5 mixed up, but busy and active forums gives everyone something to read and talk about.

if and when the site goes back to its former self, we'll break the forums out.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 10:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Turbanator wrote:
if and when the site goes back to its former self, we'll break the forums out.

just noticed coding discussion had been squished, that's not good at all :(

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 01:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

signa wrote:

Even though I agree this is an odd match, instead 2 inactive forums we now have 1 inactive forum.

Honestly Turb, why not just throw everything into T&T and be done with it?

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 01:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seg wrote:
signa wrote:

Even though I agree this is an odd match, instead 2 inactive forums we now have 1 inactive forum.

not a bad idea actually

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 01:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seg wrote:
signa wrote:

Is this a serious suggestion? it is tempting for now... at least until activity picks up, then we'll see what is discussed most often and break out subforums for those particular discussions.

Mac disc is the only surviving tech community, and the only tech forum I wouldn't merge right now... but *nix is dead too... what do you think?

I will break the forums back out into sub forums, when we have enough activity to justify it.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 02:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I was serious. I really don't think that the way it is now, will really have a major impact on traffic.

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 02:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Done....

Strogger Than You
Strogger Than You
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 05:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

christ, turb, you fucking rule.
this place lookse 90% like the old q3w did now.

gg's.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 10:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FAQ editor is kinda pointless, it's easier to just do it by hand (although it's not as accessable if you don't have FTP access and want to update it often)

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 04:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

test post count update

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 04:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

qwfix is online, lemme know of any problems with post counts updating etc...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 04:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

WOO, now mod meh! :p

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 04:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not a postcount issue, but I'll mention it nonetheless:
When I was alone in QwFix, "Who's Online in QwFix" displayed 'none', even though I'm not hidden.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 04:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've noticed that.... I don't think it display you to you. 0_0

*though I have done some funky stuff where I leave and come back a few times and I can see me. :icon32:

Last edited by Bdw3 on 02-17-2005 06:20 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 04:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see myself in GD...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 04:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dang too slow with the edit.... :/

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 05:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you have to go into a topic to get yourself on the list.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.