Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        any monitor calibration gurus around here?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: any monitor calibration gurus around here?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 06:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so I got this monoprice 30" ips monitor for work,

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=10235

looks great for the price overall, but the colors are off. I don't mind getting a spider or something to calibrate it, but I think I read somewhere that connecting through a display port might be an issue with calibrating it correctly?

My work system is a loptop with only a display port (an ati based system, no nvidia) so I'm kind of stuck using that.

is there a known issue with this type of connection or will a calibrator do the job just the same? I'm on win 7

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 06:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've tried it, but for some reason, I can't seem to get it right manually. I set one thing up right, and I mess up another :(

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 07:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

have you tried fixing the problem? Perhaps with a degauss?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 08:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is it an old CRT from 1972? Julios might be of help then.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mat may have some good insight

not sure if he does winbox stuff tho

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 10:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

post on techreport.com u'll get your answer, some ppl have those monitors there and are all techies

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 01:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 02:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thnx for the links, I'll try to give that online calibrator a go.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 02:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Both of those are shit. You'd be better off doing it by eye.

Get a i1pro 2 if you're rich, or a i1 colormonkey.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 02:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wah? what if I don't want to spend double the money the monitor costs just to calibrate it?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 03:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

An i1 pro 2 (spectroradiometer) will provide good accuracy at mid to high luminance levels, but below a certain level, it's more or less useless. A colorimeter can read at much lower luminance levels.

A popular option is to get a decent consumer grade colorimeter and profile it against a spectroradiometer. Right now, the i1d3 is an excellent colorimeter, and depending on the spectral properties of your display, may already have built in offsets that make it suitable for your display, in which case you wouldn't need to profile it.

I would avoid the spyder. If u choose i1d3 (i1 display pro) Get the OEM version, as it will work with more software.

What kind of On screen display (OSD) controls does your display have for color management?

As for displayport changing the picture, don't know anything about that issue. But it's good practice to calibrate in the same environment that you're going to be using the monitor. So as long as you calibrate the display using the displayport connection, then all should be good. Unless, of course, the displayport connection is screwing things up so much that accurate color reproduction is impossible.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 04:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

my FW900s were manufactured post 2000, and represent the pinnacle of CRT technology :)

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 05:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looking at the specs, its only DVI just find your monitor calibration and go from there

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 06:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Julios I might need to wait till the morning to tell you for sure, but from what I remember, it only has a single bar for R a bar for green and one for blue, then it has a contrast and a brightness bar, but people are saying that the contrast bar is not really doing anything through a display port connection, and I think they are right. No other relevant settings that I could see , it's pretty simple.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 06:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
looking at the specs, its only DVI just find your monitor calibration and go from there

it's not only dvi, i think that's the cheaper version.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 06:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

take a pic of the back inputs

the link u posted dont list displayport, and bits are bits, so find the color calibration on your monitor itself

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 06:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
have you tried fixing the problem? Perhaps with a degauss?

i lolled hard

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 06:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
Julios I might need to wait till the morning to tell you for sure, but from what I remember, it only has a single bar for R a bar for green and one for blue, then it has a contrast and a brightness bar, but people are saying that the contrast bar is not really doing anything through a display port connection, and I think they are right. No other relevant settings that I could see , it's pretty simple.

those RGB controls will help achieve a better grayscale (white point balance), which is key in color reproduction. Doesn't seem like there are any controls that change the primaries (is there anything called sRGB or native or something like that?), but that won't be a problem if the native primaries are more or less on target.

I'm curious, when you say colors are off, can you elaborate a bit? Skin tones are a good reference, as we're good at picking out unnatural skin tones.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 10:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

julios, how come you know all this shit?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 10:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I kinda went nuts after I got my FW900s. Wanted to learn how to calibrate them, and ended up diving into textbooks on radiometry, colorimetry, and learning about calibration and video standards. I also learned a lot on the avsforums (display calibration subforum) where I post as spacediver.

and of course learned a lot about CRT technology which is like sci fi fantasy shit... I still can't over how fucking ridiculously cool they are. If someone had the idea in their heads about CRT tech, and explained it to someone, they'd come across as a brilliant stoned genius but completely out of their mind. Yet it fucking works amazingly.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 11:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

julz, u always bring up your crt, but he ain't asking about it, it's like ur trying to change his mind to get a crt.

i know you love yours but don't preach, i was very happy with my crt viewsonis pf790 pro, so was RAW, and i'm very happy with my 5ms Acer 22", i still kick ass. :owned:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-09-2014 11:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I ain't preaching brother.

Just telling it like it is :)

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 02:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OCD

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 02:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

snicker

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 03:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Might be worth checking to make sure the pins on your video cable are all ok. A few times I've had people complain about colors and it turned out the pin was bent and wasn't plugged in and thus was removing a specific color from the screen. Odd problem but it happens.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 03:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also not totally obvious when one complete channel is missing.....................

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 03:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
so I got this monoprice 30" ips monitor for work,

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=10235

looks great for the price overall, but the colors are off. I don't mind getting a spider or something to calibrate it, but I think I read somewhere that connecting through a display port might be an issue with calibrating it correctly?

My work system is a loptop with only a display port (an ati based system, no nvidia) so I'm kind of stuck using that.

is there a known issue with this type of connection or will a calibrator do the job just the same? I'm on win 7

T&T :arrow:

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 08:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

got this for u Tsa

That monitor is 10b/pixel, which means it'll run in wide color gamut by default.

Try to find in the controls if you can specify what color more it's operating on, and pick RGB/sRGB if the option is available.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 09:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:

That monitor is 10b/pixel, which means it'll run in wide color gamut by default.

bit depth and color gamut are completely independent. Generally speaking, a higher color gamut will benefit from a higher bit depth (as you need more steps to reach those saturated primaries from white), but just because you have a 10 bit display doesn't mean it's going to have a wider gamut.

Where did you find out that the monitor is 10 bit?

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 09:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just passing on info

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 10:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry for late reply but it has no sRGB mode at all

Last edited by Tsakali on 03-10-2014 10:21 AM, edited 1 time in total.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 10:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Julios, thx for your replies BTW, blues look more like cyan. As for skin colors, I guess if I have to generalize I would say they are more towards the red hue than they should be. But the cyan ish blues are very obviously wrong

Last edited by Tsakali on 03-11-2014 10:53 PM, edited 3 times in total.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 10:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

get latest amd drivers aswell

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 12:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
Julios, thx for your replies BTW, blues look more like cyan. As for skin colors, I guess if I have to generalize I would say they are more towards the red hue than they should be. But the cyan ish blues are very obviously wrong

Does this image look cyan on your display?

Last edited by [xeno]Julios on 03-10-2014 06:48 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-10-2014 05:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

holy lvlshot batman

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.