Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Photos for textures

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Photos for textures

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-03-2012 10:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been thinking for quite some time about generating photo material primarily aimed at creating textures out of it. I just never really got to doing it but now that the weather is slowly improving, I'm thinking of going outside and snapping some nice shots of concrete, brick or other surfaces.
I realize that simply taking pictures is not quite the same as creating usable textures, so what I'm wondering about if anyone has some tips and do's and don'ts for creating such pictures. Is it in fact really useful to do it? Maybe someone with real texture creating experience wants to help me out to convert the photos to actual textures?

I will already say that I intend to release any pictures I take under a creative commons license (probably a BY-SA license) which means that you may use it in commercial works and you may alter them in any way you like.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 04-03-2012 10:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Always best to do w/cloud cover, contrasts on sunny days tends to bleach out parts but others parts are dark, try to take square w/ lines(concrete/brick lines) photographs.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 04-03-2012 10:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tips from cgtextures.com. They might seem obvious, but are in fact very useful.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-03-2012 10:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That is a good link. Thanks!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.