Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Radiant 1.6 (ZeroRadiant)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Radiant 1.6 (ZeroRadiant)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-24-2011 09:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

UPDATED: 2011-04-06

So, lots of work being done on Radiant 1.6 recently after a long hiatus. All thanks to Rambetter. 1.6 is built off of the GtkRadiant 1.4 branch. It's still considered "beta" but it's on a much more updated codebase.

Quote:
2011-04-05
  • There was a bug where q3map2 was running out of stack space on Windows. I think the default stack size on Windows is 1 MB. I bumped it up to 8 MB. I fixed this q3map2 crash because obviously it was critical since
    nobody on Windows was able to compile a map with patch mesh.
2011-03-03
  • imagehl plugin now part of build. Not really sure what it does, but it does not seem to break anything. It was "dead code" before code existed but not built into a module.
  • Desktop composition code is not triggered automatically anymore. New preference controls this, "NVIDIA/Aero bug - disable Windows composition". Thanks to TTI from the Reaction team who helped me test this, even though we never full ironed out a small issue which is really not important for proper functioning. The disable option is enabled by default. That is, if you're using ATI drivers that don't have the bug, you need to manually uncheck the checkbox to re-enable desktop composition.
  • "Misc" -> "Colors" -> "Themes" color themes are now saved as soon as they're selected. This prevents the color theme from being clobbered when you open Preferences after having just changed the theme.
  • Since one person reported a bug with Intel video chips and since this option fixes his problem, I've renamed the ATI drivers hack
    preference to "ATI and Intel cards w/ buggy drivers (disappearing polygons)"

2011-02-21
  • Updated all 3rd party libs such as Gtk+, GtkGlExt, libxml, libjpeg, STLport.
  • Redid the Windows build procedure from scratch.
  • Fixed some issues in the Linux SCons build.
  • Made the plugins list consistent on Linux and Windows. I took the union of what was used on the two systems.
  • Windows build now uses new method of OpenGL font.

Give it a try and report any bugs. Please include relevant details like OS, video card, steps to reproduce the issue, etc.

Download

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-24-2011 09:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool news, will test.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-25-2011 12:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dunno why, but with every build of ZeroRadiant so far (including this one), double clicking radiant.exe gets me nothing more than a dos-box like screen with a blinking cursor and then nothing happens.

edit:
tried on Vista

Last edited by Eraser on 02-25-2011 06:21 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 02-25-2011 12:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What are the levels for?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-25-2011 05:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Eraser: Same here (Win7 x64).

Edit: ZeroRadiant startet 1 minute after starting the exe. In the dos window it says:
"I/O warning: failed to load external entity "file:///C:Zero%20Radiant/Zeroradiant/global.xlink"
"I/O warning: failed to load external entity "file:///C:Zero%20Radiant/Zeroradiant/installs/Q3Pack/game/game.xlink".

Few things:
a) Not sure if ppl really use the TreePlanter, PlotSplines or DropEntity icon ever? >:D
b) Could be cool to specify your own shortcuts in radiant.
c) Why are there 2 _decal entries when you click RMB?
d) Having all your texture sets and texture views by the texture window was handy in 1.5. Is there a way to costumize that in 1.6?
e) Using the texture menu: I only get until the letter C. The third register card seems to be lower than the others. Screenshot: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18689396/rad.jpg

Last edited by neoplan on 02-26-2011 04:05 AM, edited 3 times in total.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-25-2011 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got that the first time too. But I closed it down and tried again and it works.

What does it say in the black command window? Any error messages?

Eraser, you are on Vista? 32-bit or 64?

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 02-25-2011 10:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What are the levels for?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-25-2011 10:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Feels pretty fine. Welcome back mighty Z-view. Now if you can somehow give me full idtech4 support (like real time lighting rendering) it can be pretty much ultimate radiant :).

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-26-2011 06:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's time we had a new Radiant :D Here's my wishlist as far as features go (if it means anything):

* Macro functionality for repetitive tasks.
* 'Find/Replace entity' function with optional flags setting etc.
* Full Quake Live support (QL encrypted PK3 support, QL game option... essentially make mapping in QL almost as convenient as Q3 mapping).
* Advanced texture replacement function (optionally specify the angle, coordinates and scale of both the texture to find and the texture to replace it with)
* Export to HTML option for map entity list, map texture list, map shader list, map model list.
* Fix the issue of disconnecting vertices from brushes when moving vertices further than the brush will allow.
* Option to automatically snap all floating vertex points in the map to the grid, at least to Grid 1, or even customisable.
* Select multiple entities from 'Entities' window.
* Full idTech4 support (realtime lighting like ShadoW suggested)
* More control over texture mapping with brush primitives.
* Option for Q3Radiant style light drawing on grid.

That's all I can remember. Just my 2 cents.

obsidian wrote:
I got that the first time too. But I closed it down and tried again and it works.

It did that to me as well but I just waited about a minute and it started up. It doesn't show any messages (at least I didn't see any). I'm on XP.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-26-2011 11:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What is up with the black CLI window? I know it's not Dos box.....god it better not be dos box, I don't know what the dev team did....ANYWAY.....I ran it fine in Win 7 64-bit, I didn't have to run it twice. I double clicked radiant.exe, it did the CLI window dance for a bit, then the radiant GUI popped up asking the normal radiant things....and it ran, loaded a map, compiled, etc etc etc, for bug testing so far, I wanted to test out the "sleep" function, whatever that's supposed to do, so I did that, and the program freaked out and crashed. What is the sleep function for anyway? Regardless, it doesn't work. Everything else seems ok at first glance. The layers function was actually one of the driving forces behind my urge to make my own radiant. It's so...useful, as long as it does what I think it does (grouping brushes and entities as per the user's selection, so they can be toggled on and off in the 2D view so you don't always have to stare through a wireframe nightmare)

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 02-26-2011 12:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

VolumetricSteve wrote:
What is up with the black CLI window?

That's because the application has a main() function as its entry point, not WinMain(). Haven't done win32 programming in nearly ten years but I still remember this one. :-)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-26-2011 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I feel like this could be easily changed....perhaps not....does the CLI serve an alternate purpose, like running the window supporting q3map2 output?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 02-26-2011 12:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's sometimes used to print debug info. IIRC you need to set up an event loop if you use WinMain, otherwise Windows will think your application hangs. So in that respect it's a little more hassle than a plain main().

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 02-26-2011 01:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What are the levels for?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-26-2011 04:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, can anyone report back on the program only loading the black command window? Is it reporting any messages in the window? What OS? 32 or 64-bit? Does Radiant spit out any errors in the debug log (radiant.log in your ZeroRadiant installation folder)?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-26-2011 05:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I launched radient.exe and did get no problem

While trying to compile a map with zero radiant i keep getting errors that i dont get with the old q3radiant:
************ ERROR ************
LoadPortals: couldn't read D:/Quake 3/baseq3/maps/phobos_pack_v1.prt
on windows xp 2002 32 bits service pack 3

Just after this error i ran the old radiant and it compiled the map fine. Is there something more we need to do under zero radiant ?

Last edited by Bonnebez on 02-26-2011 06:17 PM, edited 2 times in total.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-26-2011 06:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I still haven't got this to work yet, but after reading the above comments I maybe was to impatient. Will try again after work.
The parent folder goes inside my Quake 3 folder right? What about all the game pack files, do I need those? My common shader is customised somewhat these days, isn't that going to cause some conflicts?
How does 1.6 compare to 1.5 for handling meshes? 1.5 was far superior to any other build in that respect.
It will be good to have the z-window back, I have missed that.
Reading steve's post, does 1.6 actually support layers now?!! Wow, that's something I asked spog about years ago! I've got used to region select and grouping, but layers would be such a great feature to have.
Is one click multi-face select/paint in there, I love that feature in 1.4; the texture window showing selecting the texture on the selected brush face is something I miss in 1.5 too.
Really wish I was at home...quite keen to try this now.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-26-2011 08:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can extract the folder anywhere on your computer and just run radiant.exe. It'll ask you to find your quake3.exe folder and your mod if you have one (under project settings). It will read whatever is in your current game directories so your shaderlist.txt and everything else should be okay. For testing purposes, I have set 1.6 to read a different mod directory just in case (so it has it's own copy of shaderlist.txt and other files). I have and use both 1.5 and the current development branch of 1.6 interchangeably.

What specifically did you like about 1.5's mesh handling?

Paint select face is back in, 1.6 is essentially based off of 1.4 and skips 1.5 altogether. The down side is that most of the 1.5 exclusive features are currently missing but there's a chance someone will port those over. As always, there's a shortage of programmers so right now the focus is being able to update it for stability before trying to tack on more features.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-26-2011 08:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

neoplan wrote:
ZeroRadiant startet 1 minute after starting the exe. In the dos window it says:
"I/O warning: failed to load external entity "file:///C:Zero%20Radiant/Zeroradiant/global.xlink"
"I/O warning: failed to load external entity "file:///C:Zero%20Radiant/Zeroradiant/installs/Q3Pack/game/game.xlink".

Few things:
a) Not sure if ppl really use the TreePlanter, PlotSplines or DropEntity icon ever? >:D
b) Could be cool to specify your own shortcuts in radiant.
c) Why are there 2 _decal entries when you click RMB?
d) Having all your texture sets and texture views by the texture window was handy in 1.5. Is there a way to costumize that in 1.6?
e) Using the texture menu: I only get until the letter C. The third register card seems to be lower than the others. Screenshot: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18689396/rad.jpg

I get those errors too. They aren't critical, just some of the external link files are missing. They just point to the manual (F1) etc. I suppose the issue is trying to figure out why it takes a minute to start the first time. Does it still take that long for you?

A lot of the plugins are backported from older/newer/Linux versions. Rambetter did a union of all the plugins. Many (plotSplines) are for other games like Wolf:ET, etc. so may serve little function for Q3. I actually like the tree planter and made a map with a shit-ton of trees and plants.

Sounds like it may have dropped another entities.def in your game install somewhere so it's reading it twice and giving you 2 _decal entries. Find the extra one and it should be okay.

In your screenshot, select shaderlist.txt. It's the same with 1.4 and 1.5, deselecting it makes all textures/shaders show up from all 1-million maps you have installed.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-26-2011 08:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bonnebez wrote:
I launched radient.exe and did get no problem

While trying to compile a map with zero radiant i keep getting errors that i dont get with the old q3radiant:
************ ERROR ************
LoadPortals: couldn't read D:/Quake 3/baseq3/maps/phobos_pack_v1.prt
on windows xp 2002 32 bits service pack 3

Just after this error i ran the old radiant and it compiled the map fine. Is there something more we need to do under zero radiant ?

That's a problem with your map not compiling because something is wrong with it, not something related to Radiant. Q3Map2 didn't generate a .prt file for some reason, probably because it found an error in your map, perhaps is leaked, or because of a shader error or something else. Check the Q3Map2 compile log and it may give you some more details as to why it's not compiling.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 02-26-2011 11:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What are these for?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-27-2011 01:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:

Vista 32-bit.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-27-2011 02:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The free rotation gyro thingy, and the free scaling are very helpful for working with meshes, rather than assigning values to the entity. For large chunks of model based geometry this was helpful.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-27-2011 03:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Obsidian : my map was leaked, eveything works fine for me since i repaired the world hollowed box (i did drag an edge by error and never knew about it because it require to zoom out a lot).

-------------
On a side note, each time there is a compile error like a map leak, a microsoft bug report window open. Is it normal ?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 02-27-2011 04:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bonnebez wrote:
On a side note, each time there is a compile error like a map leak, a microsoft bug report window open. Is it normal ?

No. Something is crashing, either q3map2 or zeroradiant. Can you upload a .map that consistently triggers this?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-27-2011 05:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

here is the map that crash q3map2 on compile with BSP -meta : http://serge.billault.pagesperso-orange.fr/Quake3/crash_map.map

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 02-27-2011 06:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll give it a spin. Just to be sure, you're using the q3map2 from the zip, right?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-27-2011 06:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes. The about box of radiant says: GtKRadiant 1.6.2 21 Feb 2011

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-27-2011 09:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On my first run, things went smoothly, however, I ran it from my download folder, so now that I want to move it anywhere else, I get errors and it won't open. It's still trying to look for items in the download folder directory I first opened it from. I was thinking I could just use the emergency preferences menu to hit the "Clean" button and that might fix things, but the Clean button seems to cause the program to crash, so now I can only run ZeroRadiant out of my download folder...

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I've tried deleting it, re-extracting it, shuffling things around, so far, no dice. It REALLY wants to run only from where I first ran it. I feel this counts as a bug.

Also I get:

I/O Warning: failed to load external entity "C:\Users\"[...]

for each of:
Q3Pack/game/local.pref
ZeroRadiant/global.xlink
Q3Pack/game/game.xlink
Q3Pack/game/synapse.config

Is there something I can delete manually to fix this?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-27-2011 10:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I dunno this sounds like permission issues to me.

Have you tried installing in C:\Users\Public\* ?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-28-2011 12:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
obsidian wrote:

Vista 32-bit.

Same problem in Win7 32-bit by the way

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-28-2011 03:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I couldn't test it yet, but here is a build (made on a debian Sid) for Linux x86_64: GtkRadiant-1.6-x86_64.tar.xz (md5sum: e0e8255319e2a1655c91b4e2b632d498).
And here is a 32b version (md5sum: ae65bca047288c4a1a1fbab73dfe0191).

Note: the builds are based on the current (as of today) subversion trunk revision 478.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 03-01-2011 05:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The starting process lasted a while and the editor is a little slow in some situations. A small bug: view/entities as../skinned is the same as view/entities as../skinned and boxed.

May one aswell give suggestions for the editor?

Edit:
The window placement of the c/xy/xz/yz if messed up (3rd one in the layout settings menu).

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-01-2011 07:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tried again under Vista and gave it a little longer to load this time. It took some time but I finally got some configuration pop ups and after configuring stuff Radiant finally loaded.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-01-2011 07:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For the slow loading issue, is anyone still having problems at start up or is the problem only when starting up the program for the first time?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.