Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Try this, skyfix.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Try this, skyfix.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 12:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Remeber all those lines you get? See if this works. Load /devmap hipshots_skyfix and see if there's any lines. Should have posted this earlier but I forgott, well well...

http://www.zfight.com/misc/files/q3/hipshots_skyfix.rar - ~8M

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 04:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interesting approach, but unfortunately it's not working (at least for me).

Tested with my notebook (Pentium M, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700). Graphic settings are almost default I suppose, except the resoluton. No mod loaded, hence baseq3.

r_fastsky 0
[lvlshot]http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/viv-1.jpg[/lvlshot]

r_fastsky 1
[lvlshot]http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/viv-2.jpg[/lvlshot]

So as you can see, I get a strange graphic glitch while turning on the sky.

Short video demonstrating the glitches (1.5MB)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 08:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, that works nicely on my 9800 pro.

I've tried fixing skylines before by modelling the skycube, pulling in the uvs half a texel and turning off mipmapping. This looks similar.

You might want to point the /env reference to textures that do not exist (or to nodraw shaders). That way the skycube doesn't render underneath the rest of the stuff and you keep the overdraw down. Might fix that wierd artifact of maz0rs, too (what is that, a z-buffer thing?)

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 12:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm on an Ati Radeon X200, and I'm not seeing any lines. Oh..and that's a beautiful looking skybox btw. The spot where you look down to the earth is great. What location is it aimed at?

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 04:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Works great here too. I've also got a 9800 Pro.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 05:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whoa, trippy!

Looks good. There is one small seam on the left facing the vortex. I think it's a texture error rather than an actual skybox seam since I don't see it anywhere else.

6800GT

Care to share your technique?

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 02:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why not using a textured box via portal sky?

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 08-03-2006 10:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@ v1l3, that is a satelite pic from near my house.

@ Obs, if you take the file again, it should contain the source. It's really not that hard, it's just a model in a skyportal

@ salinga, cause a model is better than a textured skyportal. Because I can rotate it, scale, do whatever I want (almost)...

I think foo made a similar solution a couple years ago, but he used a sphere? I don't remember... But, anyone that want to have thier maps "skyline-free" might wanna look into a solution like this... The rotated sky is just an effect I wannted to do for a long time, but not until ~last week did I think of the idea to add a model into the skyportal as a skybox and then rotate it that way. I was fiddeling with photoshop trying to angle the texture itself, that sucked.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-03-2006 09:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Only thing I can't wrap my head around is the skybox model. Is it a cube, or a sphere, or a spherified cube?

Can you send me a copy of that model?

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 08-03-2006 09:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a cube. It's included in the folder /source, called hipshots_skybox.ase.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 08-04-2006 10:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Btw, this is just a "texture" not a sky itself, to make a sky with effects, like moving clouds etc, you need to model them for yourself and place them in the sky, like a sphere or something. I have no problem with this, I feel that it's better in some ways, cause I have more control over the number of triangles needed for the effects, also, I can use more than 3 layers of effects in the sky. Some might think this is a bit bothersome, but for me being hooked on skyboxed and making them it's a real treat. I love spending time on that part of the map making process =)

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 08-06-2006 11:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sky addicted freak :icon25:

never mind, keep up the good work man

edit: what about my glitches there? seems nobody else experienced them :/

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 08-07-2006 03:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

maz0r wrote:
sky addicted freak :icon25:

never mind, keep up the good work man

edit: what about my glitches there? seems nobody else experienced them :/

Try increasing the graphics level, seems like a z-buffer error or similar. Try 32bit instead of 16.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 08-07-2006 04:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ah right, forgot about this darn thing. ty hipshot

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.