Overwatch

Open discussion about any topic, as long as you abide by the rules of course!
Eraser

Re: Overwatch

Post by Eraser »

Yeah, them dicks shouting "we need healing/tank/whatever" while picking Hanzo while we already have a Widowmaker and another Hanzo really get on my nerves.
U4EA

Post by U4EA »

There was an Overwatch tournament this past weekend. Some really great plays. Worth watching if you have tons of time.

Twitch VODs:
https://www.twitch.tv/joshog/v/74458177
https://www.twitch.tv/joshog/v/74661501
Tsakali

Post by Tsakali »

Yeah watched some of it live.
U4EA

Post by U4EA »

Competitive mode is out:

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20167051

Brief summary:

o Competitive Play will be locked until you hit level 25.

o Every new player must first complete 10 placement matches in order to obtain their initial skill rating.

o Competitive Play will consist of four seasons, each lasting two and a half months.

o At the end of a season, anyone who has completed the 10 placement matches will receive a special spray and player icon, with a new set of designs being released every season.

o As you win matches, you’ll earn Competitive Points. Based on your performance, you’ll also receive a number of points at the end of the season. These Competitive Points can be exchanged for cosmetic Golden Weapons for your heroes.

o A leaderboard system will highlight the best players in the Overwatch community—so if you manage to fight your way into the top 500 players on your platform, you'll receive an in-game notification, certifying your competitive credentials for as long as you can hold the position.

o Leaving a game early or stepping away from your computer during a match will make you ineligible to join a new game until the original match has been completed. There is an option to rejoin an in-progress game—however, failure to rejoin will result in a penalty.

o Continued infractions will lead to restrictions on future competitive matches. As the violations start to pile up, Competitive Play will be locked for an increasing amount of time. Repeated violations can also result in a ban on Competitive Play for the current season—including the forfeiture of any rewards.
MKJ

Post by MKJ »

I wish theyd bring out a demo. I like the artstyle of this game but I'm not sure how it plays. Every bit of footage I see also seems to be on the same two maps.
Κracus

Post by Κracus »

The gameplay is ace. You won't find any faults there, the game is extremely polished and the maps, which there are several of them, I'm not sure the exact number but it feels like there's about a dozen different maps with various gameplay types.

The maps themselves are instant classics. They feel like they've been well thought out and aren't too difficult to get used to but have enough little secrets and shortcuts to make map knowledge key to using specific classes.

As a tank, I mostly stick to the main routes but when I play as tracer/genji I tend to stick to the alleyways and rooftops to flank the enemy team.

There's very little to complain about in overwatch. New maps and new characters were announced by blizzard and told they'd be free which is awesome. They seem to have a lot of things planned for it. The only thing you could complain about is that there's no storyline or single player and there's not many online modes to choose from. Just the 1 but it's a testament to how good the game is because I'm far from bored with that one game mode.

There's so much variety in the characters you choose from that if you get bored of one style of playing you can just switch to another character and it almost becomes an entirely new game.
U4EA

Post by U4EA »

Why didn't you play during the open beta in early May? Perfect opportunity to try it out. Unfortunately, Blizzard don't seem to do demos, the open betas pre-launch are the closest you'll get to it.

Kracus is bang on though, Just get it, it's a fantastically well built game.
Κracus

Post by Κracus »

Also... get it on xbox one and you can play with mei...
Tsakali

Post by Tsakali »

Get the game it's very entertaining. And I'm not easy to please when it come to games
MKJ

Post by MKJ »

U4EA wrote:Why didn't you play during the open beta in early May?
'Cause it wasn't really on my radar back then. Or more accurately, it was being called a FPS moba and I'm not into mobas.

I guess my primary concern is the price vs the amount of time I'll sink into it. That and that I rarely - if not never - use voice chat on xbl. Which leaves pubs which means a team of people trying to get the most kills instead of getting the objective.

MP FPSs made me bitter, can you tell? :toothy:
MKJ

Post by MKJ »

Then again I bought Titanfall in a spotlight sale and I sunk almost as much time in that as I have in Diablo3.
Κracus

Post by Κracus »

The online isn't that bad. You'll come across some teams that just don't work together and others that seem to do everything right. I don't really care too much about winning or losing and just try to play the best I can in the role I'm playing.

Sometimes I'll pick last to fill in any roles that are missing like healer or defense etc... and other times I just play what I want and don't give a shit what other people think or say. I rarely chat on xbl in this game unless I hear someone else. The communication wheel and the characters own dialogue seem to say what I was going to anyway. Like if you play as Mercy she yells out to teamates when she's healing and someone jumps her... not that anyone seems to notice... :p

I disliked titanfall though.
Eraser

Post by Eraser »

MKJ wrote:I guess my primary concern is the price vs the amount of time I'll sink into it.
it's only €40 :shrug:
Eraser

Post by Eraser »

Oh and forget about competitive play. I did two placement matches and oh my god, both games were filled with rude know-it-alls that demanded I play one or another character (and not in a nice "would you please" way) and who blamed everyone but themselves for a lost round. I actually quit that second game ignoring all the red warning messages you get about penalties for leaving games because, wow, Overwatch instantly turns into a shit show once you enter competitive mode.

I'll stick to quick matches from now on. Fuck those golden weapons, they're ugly anyway.
U4EA

Post by U4EA »

MKJ wrote:it was being called a FPS moba
Yeah, I don't really think that was a fair comparison. MOBAs have creeps and currency and last taps and other such bullshit. This has none of that, just unique heroes with their own skillset.
MKJ wrote:I guess my primary concern is the price vs the amount of time I'll sink into it.
I've put in about 93 hours since launch. I'm almost certain that number is going to go up. I've probably spent more time on this than I did D3 at a similar point in the game's life. Value for money up the wazoo.

and jesus fucking christ man, only some kind of pooron even has to calculate this lolol r u saying ur a pooron?
MKJ

Post by MKJ »

Eraser wrote:
70 for the digital version, which is just absurd.
I obviously dont *have* to get it digitally but if you just want to get three rounds in it's really a hassle changing discs around.

consoles and AAA digital releases don't mix :(
Don Carlos

Post by Don Carlos »

MKJ wrote:I wish theyd bring out a demo. I like the artstyle of this game but I'm not sure how it plays. Every bit of footage I see also seems to be on the same two maps.
If I had tried the demo or the beta, I probably wouldn't have bought it. I just needed to kill some time for a day before I flew to Rome so I went and picked it up. In fact I was completely unsold on it until a few days ago when I clicked with a few of the characters and now I love it. Such a fantastically balanced game. Very few times do you genuinely have a white wash. I would recommend it sir and I would recommend playing until you hit level 10 - thats when I started to get to grips with the game personally.
U4EA

Post by U4EA »

Eraser wrote:Oh and forget about competitive play. I did two placement matches and oh my god, both games were filled with rude know-it-alls that demanded I play one or another character (and not in a nice "would you please" way) and who blamed everyone but themselves for a lost round. I actually quit that second game ignoring all the red warning messages you get about penalties for leaving games because, wow, Overwatch instantly turns into a shit show once you enter competitive mode.

I'll stick to quick matches from now on. Fuck those golden weapons, they're ugly anyway.
Aww, I'm sorry you had such a bad first experience with it. I would suggest giving it another chance and not being so quick to write it off. I'm sure you're going to get the occasional rude jerkwad, but by and large people are going to be OK. Quick Play is definitely a lot less stressful though.

I played 6 placement matches today, won 5 and lost 1. Played Lucio on 1 [Control] and Mercy on the rest [the other map types]. My first two matches were solo queue, but by chance I got grouped with the same set of people twice in a row, and they invited me to their group afterwards. So we played four more matches together. The fifth one was Route 66. We won the first round on attack, but the opponents had a pretty good strategy/comp/execution on the second round when we were defending. The enemy Tracer especially hounded me a lot and would save ult often just to get a solo kill on me. As a result, I had quite a few deaths and therefore wasn't around to heal or res as much as I could have been. Wasn't really getting much support from my team in taking her out, but she was really good at ducking out and then coming back to harass. Just the usual Tracer bznz. One guy in the group started getting very pissy, nearly constantly spamming for heals, even when I was clearly dead or running back. We lost the defence round, so it went to overtime, which we easily won on defence. He didn't say anything in chat, but immediately left the group after that. I'm just like WTF chill dude.

Playing with a semi coherent group is fun, but there is more pressure and expectation to perform. And if you don't, it can be a bad feeling. I'm not sure yet how seriously I'm going to take Competitive Mode. Needs more data points.
Eraser

Post by Eraser »

MKJ wrote:
Eraser wrote:
70 for the digital version, which is just absurd.
I obviously dont *have* to get it digitally but if you just want to get three rounds in it's really a hassle changing discs around.

consoles and AAA digital releases don't mix :(
Console version is €70? Holy shit you're getting fucked :olo:
On PC the Battle.net download is only €40 for the normal version, €60 for the "origins edition" and then there's some kind of collector's edition as well.
Don Carlos

Post by Don Carlos »

I paid 50 euros for the Origin edition on the PS4...disc version though
MKJ

Post by MKJ »

Eraser wrote: Console version is €70? Holy shit you're getting fucked :olo:
On PC the Battle.net download is only €40 for the normal version, €60 for the "origins edition" and then there's some kind of collector's edition as well.
i know right.
Origins is the only edition available on consoles, and MS always jacks the digital dl prices.
Retail versions are usually obtainable for about 40, 35.

They do have nice sales every week though, slashing prices to up to 70%. so thats something.
Tsakali

Post by Tsakali »

I'm going to ask the obvious here, but why not pc? Its an fps .
MKJ

Post by MKJ »

havent owned a gaming pc in about 6 years. i do casual games on my laptop and the rest on consoles. seeing how i usually dont play competitive fps' anymore anyway i dont need the kb/m edge.

but fuck you guys. youve done it, imma get this game. congrats :mad:
Eraser

Post by Eraser »

Have fun not playing with us >:(
Κracus

Post by Κracus »

Well... I'll be playing it so hit me up MKJ, I'm starting to gather others on my friends list that play it so a full team is possible.

Although as I mentioned the normal matchmaking is pretty good.