Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Posing Quake 3 models

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Posing Quake 3 models

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-02-2005 05:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi there, I am stuck and need some help off some kind person with a bit more know how than I have. I want to render my quake 3 model in a 3d program, you know, make it look sexy etc but i have absolutely no idea how to go about it, I have been on the net now for hours searchin for information but have simply had to give up!
I have the trial version of Milkshape and wondered if there was a way of importing the animations. I have basically reskinned and changed the head on Visor so now he has the head of Bones.

I hope this email makes sense, my head hurts.

Thanks to any replies I get in advance. :dork:

Never dies...
Never dies...
PostPosted: 04-02-2005 11:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, but you know you can do that in-game?

/model "visor"
/headmodel "bones"

But about the 3d program...I have no clue.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-02-2005 12:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, i know u can do it in game :D

The reason I need to pose and render my hybrid so badly is I want to make it out of paper. I have already made the head but I want to make the whole body too, I have started work on a rocket launcher model too, needs a bit of work doing to the front but other than that it's pretty cool! It's 20 cms long, so u get the idea how big the actually hybrid will be when it's built. I'll post photos of it when done. I plan to make a couple of my favourite models including ranger, visor and tank jr. I think they'd look cool stood on my shelves. :p

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-02-2005 07:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You don't even need to use a 3D app for this.

Go find JavaMD3View and load that up (you need the java runtime). That little viewer has a couple of nifty things up it's sleave, one of which allows you to load a model and it's animations which you can then play though, pause and screengrab.

If you want to import the model into a 3D app the mesh won't be too much of a problem, it'll be the anims that cause import issues. Im' not 100% sure what MilkShape does with imported anims.

GMax iirc will import the MD3 (with the right script) and the anims.. it's been a while since I've looked so you'll need to play around abit.

The downside to both MilkShape and gmax, you can't do 'proper' renders, only screengrabs, but those might be enough. It might be worth you popping over to my site - link below - as I just posted a tutorial related to this, although to do with getting models from gmax to max, I've linked to some resources that might be useful, esp for gmax.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-15-2005 01:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kat's head must be really, really, really big from all that knowledge in there!

Realistic Gore
Realistic Gore
PostPosted: 09-26-2006 05:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah i reckon

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 09-26-2006 01:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On that topic, has anyone seen (or have a copy of) the MD3 import/export plugins for Blender? The server hosting them (bane.servebeer.com) is down. Curiously, it seems to run a bittorrent tracker on port 6881 that, alas, won't allow scraping.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.