Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        q3 to q4. who?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: q3 to q4. who?

cess primary
cess primary
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 05:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who of the q3 players here are gonna give q4 a shot, maybe try to play it on competetive level?

azer, menkent, julios, r1r, deji, misantropia, brisk, oeloe, duhy, fjoggs, cooldown, dzjepp?

I personally would very much like to give it a shot since the gameplay looks quite good from the videos, and it would be great to have a big and alive q4 scene. But i dunno for sure since i doubt if i can find the time to play it and i dislike the fact that i will need to spent quite some money on a new rig :<

So how bout you guys?

Last edited by Zyte on 10-09-2005 07:34 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 07:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Right now, I have neither the time to play and the money to upgrade my rig, so I suppose I'll have to leave Q4 to the younglings - at least for the first couple of months.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 10:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Zyte wrote:
But i dunno for sure since i doubt if i can find the time to play it and i dislike the fact that i will need to spent quite some money on a new rig :<

exactly my problem. i'd love to, but there's no way i'd have the time to get good enough to justify dropping ~$1000 to have a system that would be competetive. i'm gonna d/l the demo and see how stable i am, then maybe get the full version when i have a chance. being old sucks.

i hope azer picks it up though. he was just peaking when q3 was wrapping up. if the final four for a q4 tourney were czm, polosatiy, azer, and stelam i'd be one happy motherfucker :)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 11:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can upgrade to a A64 mobo & 3000+ CPU for 200 euros. I already have 1 GB ram. If it runs smooth enough with my 9800 Pro i'll certainly try to get in the game. I might wait for a demo though before i buy the game. Not sure yet...

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 11:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm planning on picking it up recreationally, seeing what I can get out of the initial influx/community, and if that leads into clans, events and tournaments, I'm usually game :D

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 11:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

might do - i'm quite busy with other things these days but who knows what will happen if and when i upgrade :p

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 01:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not sure if my current rig can handle the game.
\r_picmip 5^10 anyone?

Last year of high-school, so time isn't something i have plenty of either. :|

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 02:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OMG he mentioned my name!!! :lub:

I'm in the same boat as a bunch of the other guys - would need to upgrade my rig, and I dunno if I really want to, I'm much more inclined at just dropping 300$ on an Xbox 360 and have it at that.

BTW Fjoggs, remember Doom 3 and high picmip, it smudges the game ui really bad, I would guess the same will happen with Q4. :(

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 02:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
BTW Fjoggs, remember Doom 3 and high picmip, it smudges the game ui really bad, I would guess the same will happen with Q4. :(
If the guys at Id and Raven have any brains and want Q4 to be played competitively, they'll have fixed this in Q4. Same goes for demo recording.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 05:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

quake4 will own my life just like quake3 did wether it be playing,running a server "which i will do soon after the game comes out" or making noob maps.

oh and stfu J33p

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 06:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh man, this game will flop like a bitch if it only has 2GB demos.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 06:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rgoer has already cleared that up, it has new demo facilities with small sizes \o/ :icon30: :icon14:

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 10-10-2005 07:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm gonna move to q4 if it's competitive..if it's just another eye-candy-soda-can-bullshit I will retire for good.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-10-2005 10:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll probably pick it up. I recently bought a new laptop (1.86GHz P-M, 2GB DDR2 RAM, Geforce 6800 Go), so no worries in being able to run the game. :icon32: However, due to lack of time, I don't expect to be involved at a competitive level. :(

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 04:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

would you expect to be competative on a lap top anyways?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 04:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why not? They've got decent size screens nowadays and the performance can be great.

There's an alienware unit sitting behind me which would work just fine if set up on my desk with a mouse.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 07:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

17" screen :D

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 08:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll go to a CPL tourney with a mate, i mean, why not? :D

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i played q3 on my laptop (p4-1.6, only 128MB ram, radeon mobility 32MB) when i was in Germany. i could hold 125fps ok, but it heated up pretty badly and the ghosting/visibility was pretty nasty. and you better have a full kb and mouse plugged in.

cess primary
cess primary
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 09:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol i havent thought about using my laptop to run q4, cause i never play games on it, q4 would prolly run ok on it. But im so used to the position and angle of my keyboard with my regular pc that i will suck on a notebook :{

cess primary
cess primary
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 09:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i told azer to post his plans :icon34:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 10:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Depends how well my PC will run it. Doom 3 ran quite well on it, but I'll have to upgrade to 1024MB RAM probably. I hope my Radeon 9800 Pro can still handle it, because I don't want to play 250 euro for a new card :icon23:

But if Quake 4 is any good and I have enough time to play, then I will definetly play it competitively.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-17-2005 04:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm gonna play it, but that doesn't mean I stop playing Q3 right off the bat. Q3 might fade out, but my RA3 games in Moon Man against my RA3 buddy are too much fun to give up.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 10-17-2005 06:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Holy fuck q4 looks awesome, I'll definetly play i.

Quake Addict
Quake Addict
PostPosted: 10-17-2005 12:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I maybe not gonna play as for competetive level, but like i do for quake III....i'm gonna buy the game ( quake 4 ) and try it for a couple of month to see if its as good as Quake III...
My computer is enough upgrade to play quake 4 with almost all the setting to max...

cess primary
cess primary
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 01:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:
Holy fuck q4 looks awesome, I'll definetly play i.
yeah me2, but im afraid of spending nearly 50 euro and finding out i cant get it loaded @ my radeon 9600pro

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 07:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm more worried about nearly every review saying the mp is sort of wank. it'll apparently take some quick modding to turn this into a good competition platform.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 08:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Most people that has actually played it says it kicks ass. So I'll buy it.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 09:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

quote from someone i know who played it at qcon:
Quote:
it's decent, that's all that can be said unfortunately

q2mp was pretty wanky out of the box too though, and i still know a lot of people who exclusively play q2. a good tourney mod is all it should need.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

qcon was just a test, thing might have changed since then. But of course, OSP is all it takes. :]

cess primary
cess primary
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 03:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

from those movies posted in q4disc, it looks like it does have the quake 'feeling' to me, which it should have. I try to imagine what it would look like with a competitive .cfg; blurred walls, green model etc.

but yeah, a demo would be very nice for the hesitating people.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 03:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
quote from someone i know who played it at qcon:
Quote:
it's decent, that's all that can be said unfortunately

q2mp was pretty wanky out of the box too though, and i still know a lot of people who exclusively play q2. a good tourney mod is all it should need.

That's the biased opinion of people being used to playing with OSP who start whining when no bright skin option is available. I'm sure that in terms of gameplay Quake 4 will be awesome.

The pro's complain about there not being enough pro options and the noobs complain about there not being an Onslaught or Bomb mode gametype. Well fuck that. I just want Quake 3 gameplay in a fresh coat.

edit:
and q2 mp being wank out of the box was more related to technical issues. The casual player doesn't care about the rest.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 08:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well, no offense, but FUCK the casual player. it's supposed to be on the cpl world tour. if it bombs as a tourney game, it could easily end up as ignored as pk or d3 and never get enough serious community/attention for a something like osp to happen. bright skins aren't even the issue. it's solid netcode, flexible server options, well-balanced weapons, good maps, callvoting refs (etc), and a hundred other tiny things that make a game a good tourney platform. a lot of that will only come after months of play-testing (q3dm6 --> q3dm6tmp --> pro-q3dm6?)... but on the other hand, q2 never really did get fixed- it's still completely orange and kinda buggy.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 10-19-2005 12:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, but Q2 did enjoy a rather good sized competitive following. There where a bunch of great tourneys, even if the game itself didn't look well suited for comp. play (but in the end it did, because the game didn't have pure server support, so people played with their own textures and brightskins). You can't do that with Q4 obviously, but I hope a good comp. mod can sort it all out.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-19-2005 02:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
well, no offense, but FUCK the casual player. it's supposed to be on the cpl world tour. if it bombs as a tourney game, it could easily end up as ignored as pk or d3 and never get enough serious community/attention for a something like osp to happen. bright skins aren't even the issue. it's solid netcode, flexible server options, well-balanced weapons, good maps, callvoting refs (etc), and a hundred other tiny things that make a game a good tourney platform. a lot of that will only come after months of play-testing (q3dm6 --> q3dm6tmp --> pro-q3dm6?)... but on the other hand, q2 never really did get fixed- it's still completely orange and kinda buggy.

Have any of the things you mentioned ever stopped Quake 2 and Quake 3 from being popular CPL games? How's plain Q3 with 1.32 installed compare to a game like UT2004 in those aspects?

I don't think the pro community should worry about Q4 being a bad competitive platform. It'll probably be one of the best games for competitive play. Whether that means Q4 is exceptionally flexible in that area or that the overall level among all games is really low is kind of irrelevant. If Q4 is the best current solution then the pro community should be happy.

And lets be honest here, the real hardcore pro players make up only 0.01% of the entire customer base of id Software / Raven

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.