Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        So, Resurrection of Evil then...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: So, Resurrection of Evil then...

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 04-09-2005 08:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bit bloody short innit?!?
Got it in the mail at 9 this morning, played for a bit, took a couple of hours break, just completed it now (5:30PM).
And that was on Veteran difficulty.

Don't get me wrong, it was a thoroughly enjoyable blast while it lasted, and the Boss fights in particular were really quite cool. It was even a nice change of pace after plugging away at Splinter Cell Chaos Theory on Expert mode for most of the week, but 6 hours?!?

Hrrmph.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 04-09-2005 08:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've had it for 4-5 days, and I'm not done yet.

Take more breaks. :P

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-09-2005 08:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm with mat. Took me 2 hour, maybe 2 hours 30 to beat it all together.

REALLY short, but a lot better than doom 3. Still, it gets a tad boring again when they re-use all the same stuff 4 levels in.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-09-2005 08:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They probably lost track of gameplay hours in the mind numbing work load needed for assets creation... :p

I ordered it yesterday so hopefully it'll arrive Mon/Tue next week.

I've been reading lots of comments/complaints about the price, for the money it doesn't seem like it good value as a product (that's *not* to be read as a comment on gamplay btw) esp when it's damn near the same as the original game. So combine that with the number of hours... unless you're a l337 player..!? ;)

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 04-09-2005 12:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The presentation wasn't as slick as DOOM 3's, but the gameplay overall was a lot better. And I still see it as a suplement to DOOM 3.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-11-2005 03:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I still have to get it! :icon23:

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 04-11-2005 04:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i need doom 3 first (pc) , oh wait no i dont i need a hardcore upgrade like some more ram an a new graphics card! :S

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-11-2005 03:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:

REALLY short, but a lot better than doom 3. Still, it gets a tad boring again when they re-use all the same stuff 4 levels in.

You're not suppose to rage through it. Take your time, look at all the little cool things in the game, pretend to be enthralled by the game, etc.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-12-2005 09:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

redfella wrote:
o'dium wrote:

You're not suppose to rage through it. Take your time, look at all the little cool things in the game, pretend to be enthralled by the game, etc.

That WAS taking my time. ;)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-14-2005 01:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Got it this morning. Played it a bit this evening. Just got the bullet time power and I'm pleasantly surprised at how they've implemented this by now run-of-the-mill gaming mechanic. The grabber is quite fun as well. Much more of a weapon than HL2's gravity gun. I like how you have to use it against the first boss. And it's very useful against Vulgars.

I can already feel that this is going to be a short expansion, because the game feels rushed somehow. I don't mean that in the sense of that the developers rushed it out of the door, but within the first 10 minutes of playing I already found myself holding a well stocked machinegun and it only took about 30 minutes to get to the first boss.

Maybe the pace of the game slows down, but at this pace it can't be long.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 04-14-2005 01:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CHILL OUT YOU DARN DUTCHEE! :p

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-14-2005 03:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It took me more than 2 hours to get through the 1st level... and that's on 'please don't hurt me'..!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-14-2005 07:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kat, you do know that you have to press the 'w' key to move forward don't you? :p

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-14-2005 08:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

my 'w' key says 'run away'.. hehe

Just finished the game actually, it wasn't nearly as bad as D3 for monster closets, but I really feel for the Art guys, all that fantasic work (esp the temple thingy at the start) and it's shrouded in darkness. I think I must have spent most of my time looking around with the flash light rather than playing the game..!

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 04-15-2005 04:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, the atmosphere is just.. :drool:

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 04-15-2005 08:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Kat, you do know that you have to press the 'w' key to move forward don't you? :p

Not me. I use the RMB. :icon25:

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 04-15-2005 08:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Really!

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 04-15-2005 08:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:
Really!

Yeah. And z=left, x=backwards, c=right, and space=jump. It's a more relaxed position for my left wrist.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 04-16-2005 03:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thats a bit dont you think?

Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 04-16-2005 05:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, I've managed to squeeze in some RoE playtime, and I've just passed the place with the hazard suit zombies and mancubii. So far it's all nice and all, but I can't really get the enjoyment out of it that I had expected.

I did kinda expect it to be just more of the same stuff, but when playing it I feel that I still am waiting for something new to happen, and I still become disappointed when nothing does.

I am already tired of those new imps who throw green fireballs, and all those narrow corridors that make the grav gun more or less worthless.

That first boss-fight was kinda interesting, but hardly anything new (teleporting bosses like the Borg boss in Elite Force II, the monster in the Pill Factory in Beyond Good and Evil, and the plasma ball stuff from the end of Half-Life 2).

Not only is it pretty dull - I get really shitty fps in many areas. I don't know if it's because of sloppy level design or what it is, but in ordinary corridors and smaller rooms I stay around a steady 60fps, but as soon as I enter a larger room it drops to around 30. When the enemies start spawning, there's another fps drop that takes me down to around 20. That outdoor sequence with the Cacos right after you exit the enviroment suit area brought my machine almost to a complete halt, with with only around 8-10fps. It was more or less unplayable.

I think I remember playing D3 at 1024x768 with high detail last summer, but with RoE I've had to go down to 800x600 at medium detail to even be able to play it at all. I don't know if I've messed up my config or what it is, but the performance is definitely worse.

What I'm trying to say is that I want to finish the game, if not only because it's DOOM friggin 3, and it should be good, but as soon as I sit down and start to play, I get the feeling that I could spend my time better doing something else, or at least playing a better game.

Oh, and whoever says that they've played through RoE in two hours is a damn filthy liar - I've played close to four hours now and I'm not even at the second boss.

Back & Forth
Back & Forth
PostPosted: 04-17-2005 05:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grudge wrote:
Oh, and whoever says that they've played through RoE in two hours is a damn filthy liar

o'dium wrote:
Took me 2 hour, maybe 2 hours 30 to beat it all together.

so what are you trying to say Grudge?

:)

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 04-17-2005 08:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

TR!N!X wrote:
thats a bit dont you think?

A bit what? odd? Yeah, I know. My theory is that it really doesn't matter what keys you use as long as it's comfortable for you. There was a discussion a while back in BD about which way the view tilts according to where you move the mouse. For me I have where I move the mouse forward and the view goes up toward the cieling. A lot of people said they had it the opposite. Point is, it's whatever you get used to.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-17-2005 11:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

VoxProminence wrote:
Grudge wrote:
Oh, and whoever says that they've played through RoE in two hours is a damn filthy liar

o'dium wrote:
Took me 2 hour, maybe 2 hours 30 to beat it all together.

so what are you trying to say Grudge?

:)

I know of a few peopel that have done it in 2 hours, less than me, so 2 hours 30 ABOUTS is nothing to cry about.

Remember, it takes me 4 seconds to load a level as well, and not much time to actually BEAT a level. Plus the bosses where easy and i could take down huge monsters with ease.

So, whats your point.

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 04-18-2005 06:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you still playing on "ultra"?

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-18-2005 07:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grudge wrote:
...I get really shitty fps in many areas...
That's really odd, I actually get better FPS in RoE than Doom 3, but then I haven't played Doom 3 itself for a while. But, I did get a real kick in the goolies when you get to Erubus 2 a 'cave' where you had to get over to the other side to activate a lift, my FPS dropped from 45+ to 5 when I first opened the door to get into that area.!

PostPosted: 04-19-2005 07:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, that's one of the areas where I got slowdowns too.

Necro
Necro
PostPosted: 04-20-2005 03:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kat wrote:
but I really feel for the Art guys, all that fantasic work (esp the temple thingy at the start) and it's shrouded in darkness. I think I must have spent most of my time looking around with the flash light rather than playing the game..!

more or less the same,go into an area,kill everything that needs killing,then spend half an hour looking @ everything with the torch.
ive taken my machine into the spare bedroom,
total darkness,headphones, = win :icon14:

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 04-20-2005 03:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd wait until sundown before playing Doom3.

PostPosted: 04-26-2005 02:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, now I've finished it, and I have to say that I did actually enjoy it quite a bit. I really loved the Hell bits in Doom3, so I was glad I had to take another trip to hell in RoE.

All in all it feels like a compressed version of Doom3. Take out all the slow, scary bits (and the monster closets), and you've got RoE. It's not omfglolwtf or awesome in any way, but it's solid, good action.

Btw, the performance issues I was having turned out to be due to my graphics card overheating. The heatsink and fan was stuffed with dust, so after cleaning that up, it ran great at 1024x768 and High detail. Go figure, blame where blame is due.

Oh, and yes - there's no fucking way in hell you could play it through in 2 hours. Perhaps if you do a speedrun and skip all the cutscenes, but not by playing it through like you should. o'dium, you're a damn filthy liar.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-26-2005 02:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grudge wrote:
Ok, now I've finished it, and I have to say that I did actually enjoy it quite a bit. I really loved the Hell bits in Doom3, so I was glad I had to take another trip to hell in RoE.

All in all it feels like a compressed version of Doom3. Take out all the slow, scary bits (and the monster closets), and you've got RoE. It's not omfglolwtf or awesome in any way, but it's solid, good action.

Btw, the performance issues I was having turned out to be due to my graphics card overheating. The heatsink and fan was stuffed with dust, so after cleaning that up, it ran great at 1024x768 and High detail. Go figure, blame where blame is due.

Oh, and yes - there's no fucking way in hell you could play it through in 2 hours. Perhaps if you do a speedrun and skip all the cutscenes, but not by playing it through like you should. o'dium, you're a damn filthy liar.

A liar? It took me about 7/8 hours to do doom 3.

Its a very weak, dull, boring game.

Go figure.

Necro
Necro
PostPosted: 04-28-2005 04:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:yawn:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-28-2005 05:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

busetibi wrote:
:yawn:

Yes, I did quite a few times. Thanks for asking.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-01-2005 05:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice to get some idea what to expect of the game.
Not sure I'll purchase it though.
Also a couple of questions for o'dium.
If Doom3 is a weak, dull & boring game, why have a Doom3 based pic in your sig? And why buy RoE?

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 05-01-2005 05:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Uh, what does the sig thing have to do with his point of view regarding the game itself?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-01-2005 06:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well a sig is a form of endorsement is it not?

And it seems weird to endorse something that you think is dull & boring.

Still it's a free world.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.