Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        a poll, of sorts, from an ex raven guy

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-31-2005 12:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1) Yes

2) 9.9

3) Only thing I would suggest is Co-op.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-31-2005 12:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Turning into a strogg = spoiler?

It's actually a feature, nothing particularly secret about it.

On the back of the Quake 4 dvd: "The only way to defeat them is to become one of them"

Amazon.co.uk quote: "In gameplay terms an early plot twist has you being captured by the Strogg and assimilated as one of their nasty looking cyborgs. "

So, no spoiler there.

P.S - The whole turning into a strogg thing was extremely disapointing. The only real change in gameplay was speed and being able to access health terminals and strogg consoles.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-31-2005 04:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shadd : Scoreboard pings will be very fluctuating as long as players can't run the game with locked framerates :)

horrific
horrific
PostPosted: 10-31-2005 09:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tequila! wrote:

lol :)

hate and pyro - sorry it didn't meet expectations.

Met my expectations....... :shrug:

I dont know. I knew something would be wrong with it as soon as I found out it wasnt being made by id.

Quake 3 got the formula and balance completely correct.

To be honest, I think quake 4 will prolly go the same way as Half-life. Someone will make a mod for it that will turn it into a good multiplayer game and the mod will become "the game"

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-01-2005 10:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[FTF]Pyro wrote:
Met my expectations....... :shrug:

lol pyro :)

a little busy at the moment so i haven't read through everything.

as far as quake3 being "perfect"....

that is clearly not a universal truth. all you need to do to understand that is go to gamespy and see how many players are playing counterstrike, unreal tourny, call of duty, enemy territoy, etc.

personally i kinda agree with the "quake3 is perfect" attitude. all versions of quake, up to #4 now, have been important to me in different ways.

quake1 showed me how much games have changed since i was a kid. and it totally blew me away.

quake2 introduced me to multiplayer.

quake3 introduced me to mapping.

quake4 i helped build, warts n all. sorry for the warts :)

but my attachments to quake are all personal.

had the original unreal game reintroduced me to gaming...

i might be writing this on an unreal message board explaining why unreal 2 is "less than perfect." :)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-01-2005 10:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake 1 introduced me to MP and clans and eventually mods.

QuakeWorld kept me interested in MP and clans and more new mods.

Quake 2 made me feel some of the magic of Quake had been lost.

Quake 3 (after a while) got me re-interested in MP and clans and mods.

Quake 4 has a huge question mark hanging over it for me.

--

I hope Quake 4 is a late developer like Quake 3 seemed to be. I personally didn't get into Quake 3 until I had a PC capable of playing it with perfectly smooth frame rates, which was in 2002/3. By this time, there were a load of well established mods, and communities attached to those mods, which made playing the game all the more enjoyable. Really the Quake series is all about the mods for a lot of die hard players.

So all I can do now is wait for both a system that plays with a maxed out 60 FPS (or with a bit of luck something closer to 100 once the game is patched), and for some top quality modders to come along and create a stable and enjoyable base for us loyalists to call home.

Only then can I give Quake 4 the thumbs up and expect some kind of longevity from it.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 11-01-2005 11:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like everything about it, really. The multiplayer is like q3 with enough new features to keep it interesting. The net code is kind of iffy, and there are some bugs that need to be addressed. I was a tester, and some bugs are still there that I recall specifically writing up bug reports for, so that gives me the impression that it was kind of rushed. The custom map thing definitely needs to be resolved. I don't give a shit about not having female models, or more skins. It's all about the gameplay, and it's all there. Everything else is fluff.

the watching eye
the watching eye
PostPosted: 11-01-2005 11:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was pretty psyched about the game, although I must admit that I was only psyched after seeing some of the QuakeCon footage. Before that I didn't really dare to get excited.
Now that I have the game I find the single player portion to be extremely enjoyable, and it rates really high in my "best games ever" list, so that's good.
I've played hours upon hours of Quake 3 multiplayer so I'm probably a bit biased (as are most of the people here) but Quake 4 MP has left me with a mixed feeling. After playing Quake 3, which is extremely polished after all this time, for so long, going back into a new game which is still having some growing pains takes some getting used to.
On top of that my pc isn't really up to snuff to get me comfortable framerates at all times (and I'm a bit of a graphics whore, so turning the game into a blur fest ala picmip 5 is a no-no), so I'm having trouble commiting to Quake 4 completely. At least, for now! I'm quite sure that once the bugs get ironed out after a few point releases (and at the same time, hopefully, supply us with some goodies - you can always hope :) ), the mod community gets down and dirty with the game and my pc gets a major upgrade, I will be completely hooked.
My only fear is that the game won't sustain a large enough community, but I do have good hopes that this game won't go the way of Doom 3.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 11-01-2005 12:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1. Yes

2. 8.5

3. Quite happy with it overall. Not really played the single player, and don't intend to. Haven't been gripped by a single player FPS since the original Deus Ex, and from the couple of levels of Q4 I HAVE played, it's not goijng to change my mind.

But that's not why I buy Quake titles, I buy them for the multiplayer, which is after all, what they SHOULD be about. Okay, id are now pampering to the console market, and that's all about the single player game, but they're a business and they have to make money and the console market is where the $$$ are right now, so I understand why they're going that route (That and Carmacks desire to make interactive 'Pixar' type movies)

So, the MP. TBH I'm quite enjoying it, and if it was as rumoured, an afterthought and tagged on at the end, they've not done too bad a job of it, and I'm confident that if the bugs are ironed out and the game given a little more polish, it could be the natural successor to Q3.

The major bugs should be given priority (dodgy netcode, sounds repeating, performance issues, not being able to strafe on stairs etc) and should be sorted asap to keep people interested. Gameplay enhancements (brighter skins, better hud etc) should take a back seat for now, as it's nothing the community can't provide (and already have in a couple of mods) and will only delay the release of the essential fixes.

Once the bugs have been seen to, and somebody comes up with a grapple mod (or Raven add one as I'm sure they're all extremely nice chaps/chapettes and feel bad about us having to play the game in it's current state ;) ) then I'll be a very happy bunny.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-01-2005 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Im just pissed that the ending was so anti climactic. I mean, we wait eight years for this game to come out, and they really added nothing to the series. Last quake, you kill the makron and you are left with the feeling that there was still a major battle to kill all of the strogg. This quake, you kill another makron, who looked even worse than the old one and was way easier to kill and you are left on the same basis. I really felt that they were going to end the series, but I guess as another member put it, "he (game writer)wants another new sports car"

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 11-01-2005 01:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1. OMG YES.
2. 9/10
3. Haven't finished the SP yet, but what I've played so far has blown me away. This game is everything that Doom3 should have been. Great level design, fantastic graphics, love the weapon models, decent depth to the story so far. The Stroggification was a neat twist, if a bit gruesome to watch.
There have been several points in the game that have actually scared the crap out of me. Just walking in the mech was creepy because of the footstep sounds.
I love everything about this game.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-01-2005 04:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tequila! wrote:
Question 1: Are you glad you have it in your hands now?
This is a simple pass / fail test. No other answer is required

Meh. For me its Q3 with higher system requirements and built in punkbuster (which I hate. hated it then, hate it now. pos software). Oh, and the cd check can chew me. Multi only please, no stupid single player start. And NO, I don't need to restart my @#$@#$#@$ system to change res you @#$@#$ stupid @#$#@$ program.

Quote:
Quesion 2: On a scale of 1-10 - give it a number, no explanations.

Quote:
Question 3: rant and rave about any aspect of the game as long as you'd like - rant about the junk you hate and rave about what you like. Cohesive and constructive thoughts would be appreciated, but not required. :)

The ported maps are horrible. Absolutely horrible. In contrast, the new maps are really great, particularly several of the ctf maps. Given how good the new ctf and dm maps are, I can't believe they ported over crappy old ones. Also disappointing that there aren't many new maps.

The lack of community interaction from Raven and id has been very disappointing. I don't even know who should be contacted about multiplayer issues and support (I've found a nasty exploitable wepaon issue in multi, but my emails have gone unanswered to generic raven email and one person at id, so I have no idea whatsoever if they're even paying attention)

This far down the line in terms of multiplayer development, and the in-game server browser still sucks to the point of literal uselessness, very poor

The netcode bandwidth usage is insane. Desperately needs to be patched. Don't want to run a server until this is cleaned up, not to mention the issues its causing people with limited upload bandwidth

The default server settings make me want to kill someone

WHY DO TEAMMATES HURT YOUR ARMOR IN CTF WITH TEAM DAMAGE OFF AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. So. Stupid.

The machinegun sound, dear god lower the volume please

Footsteps are quite loud as well

That's about all

I still hate the railgun with a passion, and armor and health bleed can bite me

But given that my options are Q4 or ww2/modern day 'realistic' shooters, I'll take Q4 ;) Fast paced dm, yay.

Now where's the SDK... needs more rune deathmatch, hulk coop, and a better CTF mod

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-01-2005 06:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I havent bought the game yet...but no hurry :) From reading here and esreality...I had every intention to wait and listen :) I wont pay for another game I wont play (d3) hehe...I wont fall for that again.

I want a great ctf mod(ditto what riddla said) and please ---> a FEMALE model !!!

I am waiting to see how it all comes along...or doesnt. Sounds to me like alot needs addressed at the moment. If a nice well thought out osp/cpma "like" project gets off the ground then there is hope.

*just waiting and watching* :p :paranoid:

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 11-01-2005 07:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1) Definitely
2) 9/10
3) The singleplayer ending could have been much better but other than that my only complaint is CTF skins. Overall, the rest of the game is excellent.

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 11-01-2005 09:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Get it the day before quake wars comes out.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-02-2005 01:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1. Yes

2. 7

3. Single player is.. "done before" sorta game play i found it quite boring..

MP seems a little slower and needs alot of work.. new maps and a few changes should put it in the right direction hopefully :D
Q3 took a long time for perfection so expect Q4 will be no different.. but worth it :p

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-02-2005 07:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1.IDK
2. 8.?
3. As most all others have said, but I figure every voice counts,

Need Bots, I get around 10 servers with ping times of less than 100 ,(which nobody practically plays on) which means there are hundreds of servers 100-300+ms pingage, (and jammed with all the people).
Im not even gonna waste my time playing on servers with 100+ping as its not worth my time, effort, and or frustration. Especially with this D3tech and up to sixteen people. Atleast with bots I could still playonline, learn the maps, trick around a bit, and still frag out, and wait for real people to join.
The server browser is something awful.wtf happened there?
Machine guns need to be toned down, goddamn that shits annoying!
Abliliy to multi-bind other arguments to your _impulse's
The sensitivity of zoom could be easily adjusted,^ along with countless other possibilities.
Faster weapon switching would be nice
More Player models would be nice, basically there all the same model just with different skins. Wasnt there a marine model/skin in his underwear in those vids from quakecon?
The skins themselves definatly need to be brightened. Not necessarily true brightskins so models glow like neon signs and shit, but the colors should be more vibrant, so they are easily distinguishable from the opposing team and the map itself.
More official maps. Shoulda realeased with more original maps and left the remakes up to the modding comm. Im not a modder but I image that that is half of the fun for them, recreating the classics with the new tech and having the rest of the comm. there backing them for support and testing/evaluation.
Onscreen text during warmup and while spectating should go . -unless you can already hide it?
Mouse_acceleration is a must. the movement seems too "loose" even at low sens. You have to play at higher sens to get that 180 quickturn, and then it feels really loose, to me anyway. Its like quake4 was developed for the xbox from the get go, then rushed to finish/release a month befor 360 even ships. So as to seem that the devs are staying true to their pc fans, and not selling out. but idk, something doesn't seem right.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-03-2005 09:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1. Yes
2. SP NA, MP 7

Q4 Multiplayer Issues.

1. Settings have little impact on FPS.
2. Flaky netcode?
3. Sounds are dropped very often.
4. Settings that should be client side are either locked or server side.
5. Scripting has been crippled to the point of near uselessness.
6. r_singleLight needs to be unlocked for MP.

1. With a default config I get in the 30fps average on this demo. http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11890

Fully tweaked to the maximum extent possible I can get 47fps. 17 extra frames fully tweaked? Obviously more should be able to be found, and indeed as the community has found a simple combination of r_singleLight and r_lightscale has DRAMATIC effects on everyone’s FPS, both top of the line and middle tier rigs. People are asking for these settings and I see no reason why they should not be released if it is what the people want.

2. The netcode does not seem to be up to the task. I have been playing an hour plus for the that last few days on several different servers all with pings that were in the 40-60 range and very often there was noticeable lag. Now obviously this is a new game and these servers may be the problem and I am going to continue to try and play and see what happens but its not looking good right now.

3. The sounds are handled very very poorly in this game. This is not Q3 I get that, but Q3 has much more clean, crisp sounds then Q4 in every area. There are issues with footsteps, we can either hear them all, or cant hear people we should be able to, there are issues with hit sounds. I think this may be linked with both issue 1 and 2 but the SG especially doesn’t seem to register hit sounds very well at all especially when you know your hitting because the target goes down in 2 shots. Another area is item pickups, I very often do not know if I have grabbed something by the sounds and if I miss the little display that I grabbed it I have to switch to it to see if I have it because simply pressing the key for the weapon I have in hand does not display my weapon list. That’s important so I will bring it out. I have read that OpenAL does the trick, but have also read that it kills frames dead, and I do not know if my Audigy 2 supports it anyway with an update to the drivers. Which goes to another point. Should we be expected to shell out $60 for the game and $400 for hardware upgrades? I don’t think so.

The Weapon list should be displayed whenever any _impulseX for a weapon is called, any weapon even if it is not currently in our arsenal. I would also ask for simpleitems to be included.

4. Settings are currently server side which should not be. Its simply incomprehensible for the bob settings to be locked server side, what if any justification for it is there? The doublevision setting is another one that is flawed, the blood in your eyes does not get in the way of your sight at all, it simply kills a frame, even a fraction of frame, but as of now that fraction of a frame is needed BADLY elsewhere. And honestly unlock the r_singlelight and r_lightscale combo so we can actually look down into the atrium of the edge and not lose 30 frames instantly, even with everything else turned off, you cant even see the shadows or dynamic lights but they are still being rendered and are killing fps by the handful.

5. Scripting is crippled as it is currently implemented. I should be able to bind a weapon, sensitivity, mouse accel (if it was even in the game!) fov, and crosshair to every key. Just like in Q3. I have read that this is being looked at but I just thought I would bring it up.

6. r_singlelight needs to be unlocked for MP. This is currently the biggest issue with the game being playable by a great deal of the community who are going to both stick around for a long time if things get fixed, and will drag others into the fold meaning more sales, more of an established community base, and more sales for future games. Its no surprise that a game that can be run by everyone still absolutely dominates the servers even if the game play is sadly lacking CS I am looking at you…

Now, these obviously are not demands, and you will note that I am not asking for a rebalancing of the weapons, tweaking for the physics or any of that, because even with the flaws I have highlighted I still find the game fast and fun, crouch sliding is sweet, ramp jumping + strafe jumping can lead to serious distance on a few maps and combining it with a rocket jump in a few locations is equally satisfying.

I think that these are minor problems which are compounded by each other more often then not. The FPS lag + net lag + sound drops = problems. There are more then enough threads out there which are talking about many of the same issues on many different forums.

http://forums.ravensoft.com/ib/ikonboar ... 10;t=34010

http://forums.ravensoft.com/ib/ikonboar ... 10;t=33918

http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12944

http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=918989

In closing, I hope that some or all of these issues can be looked at in a timely patch. I know its dependent on the publishers, yada yada yada, but a few of these things would take very little time and a posting on fileplanet, planetquake, ect to distribute a small patch.

Either that, or quickly release the SDK so that the mod teams can begin to fix these issues.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-04-2005 01:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good to see you're still alive and kickin Bob. I hope things are going well for ya, I didn't get to say goodbye!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-04-2005 04:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Madjack McMad wrote:
Good to see you're still alive and kickin Bob. I hope things are going well for ya, I didn't get to say goodbye!

howdy... andrew....? :)

if anyone feels like i'm not responding enough here, I'm very busy at the moment, and being an EX ravenite have no real say in things anymore.

at least a couple folks at raven have seen this tho.

and i'll read it all at some point, i'm very happy with the criticism in this thread, pro or con, as it has all been fairly polite and to the point.

cheers. :)

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 11-04-2005 04:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I totally disagree on the netcode. It's been *FUCKING FANTASTIC* for me so far. In fact, I'd say it's what I like most about the game.

Mebbe it's coupled with the different hitbox mechanism, but I get pings of like sub-20 to most Uk serves, and it really does behave like LAN play, too.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-04-2005 04:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think that the guys who are complaining about the netcode are the ones with higher pings. I agree the netcode works beautifully to my local server. I did however experience some lag playing on servers with 50-60 ping, but actually it was fps related, so I'm not sure if that can be caused by network lag or not.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-04-2005 04:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
I totally disagree on the netcode. It's been *FUCKING FANTASTIC* for me so far. In fact, I'd say it's what I like most about the game.

Mebbe it's coupled with the different hitbox mechanism, but I get pings of like sub-20 to most Uk serves, and it really does behave like LAN play, too.

are you technically sure about this foo or is it just how it "feels"? i suggest looking at your ping display while running around and see how much it moves.

is +-25ms good enough for you?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 11-04-2005 05:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I dunno about the technical specifics, and I'm not watching the scoreboard. All I know is it feels fantastic.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 11-04-2005 06:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tequila! wrote:
The game industry is a harsh mistress for almost everyone who goes through it.

Exactly! It's something people outside the industry can never understand from anyones explanation who have been through it. Harsh is an understatement IMO. But onto Q4........

Positive:

It's a great game. I loved the level design, and the gameplay. It flowed well from start to finish, and I never once yawned during any gameplay. I always got to where I was needing to get to without any problems. (aside from getting killed, but that's supposed to happen) Teammates were used the best here than I've seen in any other games. The models were good. I liked seeing new designs, instead of rehashed Q2 models.

Negative:

Not enough music. I know music cues set the tone and moods for a lot of games, but I don't feel it was used enough in this game. Some of the sounds and weapons feel sluggish, and not smooth like previous quake titles. Weapons should give the player a sense of that being an extension of their hand on the mouse. MP is good, though it's not exactly like Q3 like most people have been expecting, but it's just as good IMO but does need some bug fixes no doubt. Most nitpicks have been from pro players about this and that, but it's a new game, you learn it's ins and outs like you did Q3.

I'm not picky at all, but overall I enjoyed this game immensely. So there's not too much for me to say wasn't good. I enjoy games, I don't pick at them. Any chance of mentioning the levels you did?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 11-04-2005 07:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1: I am very happy to have it in my hands, though I was a bit skepicial when I saw the first batch of screenshots featuring the newly redone Strogg.

2: ~8

3: (this all pertains to single player, as I was a big fan of Quake 2)

Story
Voice acting was great, I recognized the voice of John Mullens from the SOF series as a medic. Walking around the ship and talking to people really added to the atmosphere. I think there were some inconsistancies though. Like one guy talking about how his grandfather worked on the ship. I always thought that Quake2 was set in the not too distant future and we just stole most of the tech from the Strogg after the invasion of earth. It also didn't make too much sense to have all the Doctors examining the Strogg cadavars, cause I thought this war had been raging for years? I guess it was just to add to the atmosphere. The story really seemed to drag after the stroggification. Was real disappointed how they quickly played off the Nexus invasion and then said "here is the real invasion". Could have been more cohesive. There also should have been a cooler aspect about being a Strogg that somehow played more into the story. Even better, why couldn't the main player and the one technical guy that everyone hated both have become Strogg? Then during the Strogg levels you could both be running a sabotage operation disrupting the entire Strogg network. Ah well, I am rambling so I will move on.

Levels
The game starts off real strong, I enjoyed all the levels up to the first vehicle level which just seemed to get in the way of the story / action. The tank level felt like a bigger version of that old Atari game S.T.U.N. Runner. The Nexus Levels were the highlight of the game IMHO, and pretty much made it worth the purchase price. The couple of levels after the strogification before you get back to the ship were terrible and just felt like filler (they all reminded me of the recycling plant in doom3 - which was also the lo-light of that game). The end gets a little more exciting, but too much rinse and repeat.

Weapons
Weapon sounds are great (unlike Doom3's) but the models suck. The shotgun with the cheezy looking LCD ammo count is a joke. Take Doom3 weapons and Quake4's sounds and you got a winner. Also, I don't buy into the whole nailgun thing. It worked in Quake1, but really. You are supposed to be some elite Military unit. I found myself using the machine gun basically the entire game cause it seemed to pretty much do as good of a job as any other gun. I don't like how much ammo you physically had to use to kill a Strogg on the higher difficulty levels. A good headshot should be instakill on any grunt regardless of difficulty imho.

Strogg
Aside from the gladiator, most of the strogg were just not scary looking. Especially the grunts and that thing that charges you like a bull. I wish more inspiration was taken from Quake2 in that aspect. Unlike Doom, this wasn't a remake, it should have continued the same story with a lot of the same art direction in regards to weapons / monsters. The actual levels did stay pretty true to the series though.

My only other comments is that the squad combat aspect was awesome, and really should have been used even more. That was the one thing that made the game different and I would have not argued if you never were left alone in the game.

Please tell your friends at Raven to make SOF3. :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-04-2005 08:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kiltron wrote:
Any chance of mentioning the levels you did?

To be honest, Q4 took so much freaking time out of me, both for better and worse, that I haven't been able to bear with playing through the single player yet. :icon25:

I'll play a bit this weekend and see exactly what's left of 'me' in there. lol.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-07-2005 04:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey Tequila.

Can you tell me how it is to work for a game company like Raven? I'm into design also but afraid to take the big step and make games for a living.

I would greatly apreciate a little bit info of your own experience in the bussiness.

Thnx in advance.

ontopic: Well, i guess most things are pointed out. I'd rate it 90 %

Banned
Banned
PostPosted: 11-07-2005 05:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:

Ditto.

And:

1. Yes
2. 7.75 and rising
3. Without a good system you are completely fucked, poor bastards unable to go above a 9700 (which ran HL2 very well with everything turned up in 1024x768) will feel like they're playing the bastard child of Quake 3 and Unreal tournament. It feels unresponsive as hell without a nicer card than that, thankfully I upgraded my card and it's massively improved and now I'm really starting to enjoy it.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 11-07-2005 06:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tequila! wrote:
Madjack McMad wrote:
howdy... andrew....? :)
psst, that was Shepard ;)

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 11-07-2005 06:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Post moar, collective ravens >:E

plained
plained
PostPosted: 11-07-2005 07:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i was kinda hopeing the game would look like the future, not the past :(

honestly tho i only messed around with the multiplayer so i get alot of slowdowns.

maybe when comps catch up in a few years it'll smothen out, dunno

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 11-07-2005 01:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Woah, time relativity problem we got goin on here woah

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-10-2005 06:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

must.. finish.. painting apartment.. new paint is making everything else look filthy so i'm cleaning the hell out of everything as i go.

--

quick response:

keep in mind the raven guys are only able to speak so much about Q4 on public forums, and while it sucks, there is a purpose to it.

a lot of people worked on Q4, full time + part time, not to mention folks at id / activision.

from a company standpoint, they really don't want 100 people all posting their 2 cents, throwing out ideas that may or may not come true, etc.

from a company standpoint you really don't want someone promising, "our new exciting SmelloVision Technology".. and then not being able to deliver. (fictional example in case that wasn't obvious)

even as an ex-dude i am bound by a nondisclosure contract and try to be careful in what i say.

-

Predefined - I'll try to give a good answer to your questions when done painting. I had my gripes about Raven (a job is a job is a job), but I'm aware that I was also lucky to work there and be a part of Q4.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-10-2005 07:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tequila! wrote:
must.. finish.. painting apartment.. new paint is making everything else look filthy so i'm cleaning the hell out of everything as i go.

--

quick response:

keep in mind the raven guys are only able to speak so much about Q4 on public forums, and while it sucks, there is a purpose to it.

a lot of people worked on Q4, full time + part time, not to mention folks at id / activision.

from a company standpoint, they really don't want 100 people all posting their 2 cents, throwing out ideas that may or may not come true, etc.

from a company standpoint you really don't want someone promising, "our new exciting SmelloVision Technology".. and then not being able to deliver. (fictional example in case that wasn't obvious)

even as an ex-dude i am bound by a nondisclosure contract and try to be careful in what i say.

-

Predefined - I'll try to give a good answer to your questions when done painting. I had my gripes about Raven (a job is a job is a job), but I'm aware that I was also lucky to work there and be a part of Q4.

I think that all the community at large would like is a small blurb.

"We are aware of problems X, Y, Z. We do not consider Y to be a problem but X, and Z are getting our attention and will be fixed in a later patch which may happen in AA days."

:icon28:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.