post 1.3

GODLIKE

Post by GODLIKE »

riddla wrote:I dont expect top performance, the game just plain sucks ass merely from a feature-set pov. Gameplay really sucks as well. [snip].
This interests me, at least, a teensy bit. Not MUCH interest, because I suspect we'll both tire of it instantly, but:

I play Quake 4 like three times a week, and I'm digging it.. I've played ALL the Quakes, and Doom3. While I'm no pro, I don't suck. And, I like Q4. A lot, even. In fact, I can't go back to Q2 or Q3, now, because it annoys me if I can't crouch slide... But anyway:

I might agree with you on features.. I miss a real console log, I miss GTV, and some other things, but:

Why (And please, please try to do this while saying something more useful than "it sucks") do you think the gameplay sucks?

I'm at least moderately interested.. You seem like you're not an idiot.
GODLIKE

Post by GODLIKE »

pjw wrote:I'm through dancing; now it's time for some yummy watermelon.

Clearly, your clipart collection is mighty, and pwns all. :icon25: ++
DooMer

Post by DooMer »

I'd have to completely disagree with that.
DooMer

Post by DooMer »

Who is Troll, and why is he stealing my Deadzone opinion? http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1160018

I've got my eye on you. :icon6:
GODLIKE

Post by GODLIKE »

RE: two posts up by Riddla..

That's at least coherent. I actually disagree about the weaps balance for 1.3, I think it's not bad (they COULD have nerfed the rail a tad, but that's me).

I don't play much CTF.. I'm a DM/TDM player pretty much purely.. So I won't shame myself by talking out my ass about it.

(LOL @ pic)

/me goes to do actual work..
KO

Post by KO »

Tormentius wrote:rather vocal minority of players who have shite hardware or badly tuned systems and expect top performance.
So thats what you think huh. Q4 does'nt run like shit.. its just our poor hardware.

An estimate would be around 1 in 50 gamers systems can run Q4 smoothly(constant 50-60fps). Whats your estimate Tormentius?
Tormentius

Post by Tormentius »

KO wrote:
An estimate would be around 1 in 50 gamers systems can run Q4 smoothly(constant 50-60fps). Whats your estimate Tormentius?
There aren't any reliable statistics to back that assertion and you're pulling that number out of your ass. I won't even bother taking a guess since thats all it would be.

Just out of morbid curiousity what hardware are you trying to run Q4 on?
Zombie13

Post by Zombie13 »

I run Quake 4 on a 3.06 P4 with HT, 2 gig of low latency DDR2, and a X1900XTX and I still get hitchy/lag while playing at 1024x768 medium quality. Playing with a ping of 20-40 as well. :(

Yet I run single player at 1280x1024 ultra quality with 16x AF and 4x FSAA and get 60fps everywhere.

Z
GODLIKE

Post by GODLIKE »

Zombie13 wrote:I run Quake 4 on a 3.06 P4 with HT, 2 gig of low latency DDR2, and a X1900XTX and I still get hitchy/lag while playing at 1024x768 medium quality. Playing with a ping of 20-40 as well. :(
Z
Betcha on LAN you'd do fine.. Q4 is really, really picky about net traffic. Make sure you don't have SMP 1 and the lagometer on, though.. that still generates all kind of skitter in-game.

:icon26:
Duhard

Post by Duhard »

riddla wrote:I dont expect top performance, the game just plain sucks ass merely from a feature-set pov. Gameplay really sucks as well. The engine is shit as well, so I dont even have much hope for ET:QW either.
Poor Tormentius never had the chance to learn how to play q3 properly so don't expect him to grasp the basics of a pure deathmatching experience.
zolborg

Post by zolborg »

pjw wrote:This is a fun thread.
It makes me want to dance.

Look FOO, here's a screenshot of UT!
fKd

Post by fKd »

HMMM i'm getting an average of 60 fps... but its still hitchy and lets face it... not fun.. q3 got to be polished because the raw 1.0 game was... FUN! this is just bad.. and the netcode licks big balls.

you cant polish a turd :)
Ganemi

Post by Ganemi »

GODLIKE wrote:
riddla wrote:I dont expect top performance, the game just plain sucks ass merely from a feature-set pov. Gameplay really sucks as well. [snip].
This interests me, at least, a teensy bit. Not MUCH interest, because I suspect we'll both tire of it instantly, but:

I play Quake 4 like three times a week, and I'm digging it.. I've played ALL the Quakes, and Doom3. While I'm no pro, I don't suck. And, I like Q4. A lot, even. In fact, I can't go back to Q2 or Q3, now, because it annoys me if I can't crouch slide... But anyway:

I might agree with you on features.. I miss a real console log, I miss GTV, and some other things, but:

Why (And please, please try to do this while saying something more useful than "it sucks") do you think the gameplay sucks?

I'm at least moderately interested.. You seem like you're not an idiot.
I think the game is getting better. Yesterday I played Q4's version of q3wcp14, and I jumped from the flag to the YA area with out trouble(Which I usually get in Q3). And I absolutely love the napalm gun, new gametypes, and new game modes(bring 'em on >: D).

On the other hand the game glitches ALOT. Half the time it doesn't start up and I have to taskmngr it. I have a gig of ram a 7900 GT and a dual core 3800+, but I can't run the game on the same settings in MP as I do in SP with the same FPS. If 6 players get on screen my FPS will start to crash to 20 from the smooth 60. And even when I get 60 FPS the game just doesn't look smooth enough.

See that? 18 FPS, and there's barely any action. That's super not cool. And that wasn't taken as a .jpg. It was taken as an uncompressed .tga. : [

I'm kinda sad, because I was pretty GD eager to grab Q4, but a week after playing it I drifted back to Q3. Ofcourse, I never said "Mother fucking shit balls! This game blows, I'm giving up on ID and Raven and Blah Blah right this INSTANT." It makes sense to wait for this game to get fixed and all that shit, since it's on a new engine and what not. Regardless of getting fixed or not, it's still pretty frustrating that the game was missing stuff that the previous Quakes had. : \

I'll continue playing and waiting for updates, and I hope that the developers feel free to add more weapons and gametypes that fit into the whole Quake theme. >: ]
dzjepp

Post by dzjepp »

Sort yourself a nicely tweaked cfg with ambientlight 1 and you'll get 60fps all the time.
I cant spell u

Post by I cant spell u »

quake3world.com quake 4 server plz
Ganemi

Post by Ganemi »

4days wrote:i like the gauntlet in q4, the contact feels a little more satisfying than q3's.
The gauntlet in Q4 does not come close to q3's in terms of satisfaction, or in terms of anything, really, and this is coming from someone who likes to average 15 gauntlet kills in any 20 minute CTF/DM game. When you attack, you have to be far too close to the enemy for it to be worth anything. Some hits don't register, when you stand within range of the enemy and wave the mouse back and forth. The HIT sound is so confusing, since there are two. It seems there is one that means the client thinks the gauntlet contacted the enemy's armor, and the actual hit sound that means you did hit. The hitsound of the gauntlet making contact and the actual hitsound sound too much alike, and they're played at different times causing confusion. Another thing is that the there's an animation that plays when you attack, rather than you hit, so that adds to the confusion. The last thing that I can remember is that... well, the gauntlet doesn't light up. : [

The only thing that saves the gauntlet from being utterly useless(but not impractical) is being able to crouch slide and check someone into a wall.
GODLIKE

Post by GODLIKE »

Ganemi wrote: I think the game is getting better. Yesterday I played Q4's version of q3wcp14, and I jumped from the flag to the YA area with out trouble(Which I usually get in Q3). And I absolutely love the napalm gun, new gametypes, and new game modes(bring 'em on >: D).

On the other hand the game glitches ALOT. Half the time it doesn't start up and I have to taskmngr it. I have a gig of ram a 7900 GT and a dual core 3800+, but I can't run the game on the same settings in MP as I do in SP with the same FPS. If 6 players get on screen my FPS will start to crash to 20 from the smooth 60. And even when I get 60 FPS the game just doesn't look smooth enough.

See that? 18 FPS, and there's barely any action. That's super not cool. And that wasn't taken as a .jpg. It was taken as an uncompressed .tga. : [

I'm kinda sad, because I was pretty GD eager to grab Q4, but a week after playing it I drifted back to Q3. Ofcourse, I never said "Mother fucking shit balls! This game blows, I'm giving up on ID and Raven and Blah Blah right this INSTANT." It makes sense to wait for this game to get fixed and all that shit, since it's on a new engine and what not. Regardless of getting fixed or not, it's still pretty frustrating that the game was missing stuff that the previous Quakes had. : \

I'll continue playing and waiting for updates, and I hope that the developers feel free to add more weapons and gametypes that fit into the whole Quake theme. >: ]
(Quote snipped a little..)

I agree the bugs are frustrating, but I'm glad you're actually PLAYING the game, rather than just bitching about it. I'd like to have a go at your system, almost, because I ALSO have a X2 3800 and a similar-gen vid card.. and I haven't had 18 FPS, like, ever. Maybe if I turned 8x AA on. Not that I'm saying it's "your issue".. but I simply haven't had the same experience. Now that my sound is tweaked to work well, I have basically no performance issues that aren't caused by network bandwidth.. and there's always a half-second hitch about four seconds into a round, but I think that's PB.

At least, you're talking about your points intelligently, and not just spamming crap about the game. I think some of my perf issues don't exist because of my net connection, too.. I have pretty good bandwidth, and I realize not everybody does. That, and I play about 1/3 of my matches on my own server.. and I'm on the same LAN segment.