Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Slowly but surely... (ODQ3DM6)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 02:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

holy shit, the lightning looks like crap :icon28:
I want your old style lightning back..

:paranoid:

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 02:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I also did a rough portal jobby on the map and nuked most of your little lights, and I was able to have it running smoothly
you also don't seem have any ambient light in the map which is a must if you want people to play it, just remember todays machines can not handle hardcore amounts of lights in a map with 16 or so players. You will need to use a few large lights, and then if you have some performance left in the map, add some small detail lights, and don't forget to set the detail level on the lights, so when people run the game on the lower quality settings, those lights will not be rendered.

Z

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 03:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

TTK-Bandit wrote:
holy shit, the lightning looks like crap :icon28:
I want your old style lightning back..

:paranoid:

HOLY SHIT THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK ON THIS BETAS LIGHTING EVEN THOUGH NOBODY GIVES A SHIT ATM!!

Zombie13 wrote:
I also did a rough portal jobby on the map and nuked most of your little lights, and I was able to have it running smoothly
you also don't seem have any ambient light in the map which is a must if you want people to play it, just remember todays machines can not handle hardcore amounts of lights in a map with 16 or so players. You will need to use a few large lights, and then if you have some performance left in the map, add some small detail lights, and don't forget to set the detail level on the lights, so when people run the game on the lower quality settings, those lights will not be rendered.

Z

I think you loaded the wrong map. This level DOES have ambient lighting.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 03:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ahhh indeed it does, I never noticed cause it was sooo dark, need to bump it up a wee bit more, doesn't matter if it looks a bit flat, saves you adding 10000 lights to every hallway killing performance :)

BTW if you want people to give feedback, it's best to finish the map properly, I learnt that lesson yesterday rushing my map, only to have it fail :/

Z

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 03:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Zombie13 wrote:
Ahhh indeed it does, I never noticed cause it was sooo dark, need to bump it up a wee bit more, doesn't matter if it looks a bit flat, saves you adding 10000 lights to every hallway killing performance :)

BTW if you want people to give feedback, it's best to finish the map properly, I learnt that lesson yesterday rushing my map, only to have it fail :/

Z

But there isn't 10000 lights in every hallway.

The maps fine as is. Stop moaning, you have one way, i have another.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 03:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Moaning is what I do, if you don't want feedback why ask?

Z

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 03:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chill the fuck out o'dium.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 03:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Zombie13 wrote:
Moaning is what I do, if you don't want feedback why ask?

Z

Because your moaning about things already discussed, or points that dont need ot be talked about yet.

Like the kid who moans that he wants a red car before he even knows if hes GETTING a car.

Just be greatful i even bothered in the first place, because your more than welcome to step in and do your own.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 04:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Because your moaning about things already discussed, or points that dont need ot be talked about yet.

Like the kid who moans that he wants a red car before he even knows if hes GETTING a car.

Just be greatful i even bothered in the first place, because your more than welcome to step in and do your own.

Ok sounds good.

Z

Quake Addict
Quake Addict
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 04:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have just try the new beta map, it looks pretty good...WOW
But i have a great lost of FPS on that map, i drop by 30 FPS by moment...

the watching eye
the watching eye
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 05:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Zombie13 wrote:

Z

Have it fail? I tried your map yesterday and IMO it is a quality job! You got some bad feedback on it or something?

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 05:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've ran around the BETA quickly, and came across the following "problems". I use quotations because they may or may not be intentional, but DM6 purists like myself will notice them straight away :)

This stairway area which leads to the YA/PG has a raised doorway clip, which means you can't use it to jump off onto the bridge above (if you don't know the area I mean, just look directly above where my crosshair is placed). Since there is also an additional structure to the side of the bridge itself, with a bit of work this could be used as a shortcut for players who find themselves trapped in this room to get to higher ground.

Again, same problem here. Normally you can use the bouncepad to rest on the clipping just above my crosshair, but it is not possible anymore due to increased player height, and the raised clipping arch.

No longer possible to drop straight down from the RL and land onto the structure where my crosshair is placed. This is important to get to the SG/PG areas quickly.

This could actually be an interesting addition. There was of course a clipping area in Q3DM6 whereby you could crouch to avoid detection from the players coming in from the RL, but this now allows you to crouch and camp in direct sight of them. It could also be very annoying.

Remove these. It is important to be able to RL from below up to the top, and these make it more difficult.

This still looks too big :p

The rest have been discussed in this thread already, so I don't want to regurgitate what has already been said. Stick with it, i'm sure it'll all work out good.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 05:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

r3t wrote:
Zombie13 wrote:

Z

Have it fail? I tried your map yesterday and IMO it is a quality job! You got some bad feedback on it or something?

Ahh just wasn't happy with the item layout, and cause I set myself 5 days to make it, it got rushed a bit, so no more of that :)

Z

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 06:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks Brisk.

brisk wrote:
This stairway area which leads to the YA/PG has a raised doorway clip, which means you can't use it to jump off onto the bridge above (if you don't know the area I mean, just look directly above where my crosshair is placed). Since there is also an additional structure to the side of the bridge itself, with a bit of work this could be used as a shortcut for players who find themselves trapped in this room to get to higher ground.

Agreed, I shall work on these doorways again.

Again, same problem here. Normally you can use the bouncepad to rest on the clipping just above my crosshair, but it is not possible anymore due to increased player height, and the raised clipping arch.

See above.

No longer possible to drop straight down from the RL and land onto the structure where my crosshair is placed. This is important to get to the SG/PG areas quickly.

I disagree ;) It may be my new size in that area, but i can do it fine.

This could actually be an interesting addition. There was of course a clipping area in Q3DM6 whereby you could crouch to avoid detection from the players coming in from the RL, but this now allows you to crouch and camp in direct sight of them. It could also be very annoying.

Good point, thats where playtesting will come in.

Remove these. It is important to be able to RL from below up to the top, and these make it more difficult.

Done.

This still looks too big :p

I'm positive its the same scale, maybe its your FOV and the new sizes, not sure, but i will check it again.

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 06:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like the lighting its perfect for me since I use 1.8 gamma and 1.2 brightlight.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 06:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well TBH I think i may end up removing those orange lights and just leaving the light/flare. It doesn't make any difference to anything other than frame rate, and while yes it is drawing the whole level, it will still help. After all Quakes about fast gameplay not purdy lights.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 06:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Orange lights are removed, that helps.

I think I may model the central Mega Health grate into something more retro such as a pentagram design.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 06:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Orange lights are removed, that helps.

I think I may model the central Mega Health grate into something more retro such as a pentagram design.

Yep, thats what I meant when I said it looks too big. I would concentrate more on the lava than the actual player heh.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 06:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, I have been able to fall from the side of the RL to the ledges to the bottom left/right, but it is not as seemless as in Q3, and you have to literally tip-top off the ledge to be able to make it.

Hella Cool
Hella Cool
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 07:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good work o'dium :icon14: It feels exactly like the original.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i like it a lot, and i love the new open top and dangly lightning tube things above the main room. can't wait for the vis to get nailed down so i get over 20fps on it =p

i must say tho, the wierd starwars generator looking things on each side of the bridge seem a bit odd, and the one serves to make rail->bridge a tad too easy, i was havin no trouble makin it on that generator, whereas in q3 i'd miss rail->bridge somewhat often, sadly. the one on the other side also makes it easier to rj up to the bridge (which shouldn't be a problem anyway, at least with use of the wall, but still).

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 08:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

before you knuckleheads comment on the map how about you read the the previous posts so you don't repeat what someone else has already spouted? dimwits.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 10:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 11:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can you try scaling the entire bsp structure up to a value that feels more like Q3 does? So that the entire map is larger in x,y and z? I'd do it myself but I'm not sure exactly how this is done in Radiant. In Ued I know its bsp>transform permanently. Makes the bsp a solid temporarily so when its scaled, the brushes retain scale in relation to each other. So it doesnt end up like an "exploded" version of the bsp.

Oh one last thing on your q2 mod, I have no ingame audio. Is my OpenAL drivers out of date or something? It must be on my end cuz the SP in q2 looks beautiful, just no audio at all.

Your a very talented artist/mapper and I'm glad I have this option to "pick your brain" for the moment.

denzii.visible = false
denzii.visible = false
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 11:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Really sweet dude, I like it alot. I think we all have to get some really powerful machines to play that thing in any competition setting.

I remember when Quake 3 came out I used to get a 13fps max on my machine but after a while I got around 60... and now I can get a solid 125. I would have to guess that's what will happen here and not long from now we will be able to play that map with no problems. :)

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 12:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Denz .. the low fps is a temporary problem.
the map hasn't been optimized yet "no vis portals".
fps will jump once he figures the best way to vis the map.

Quake Addict
Quake Addict
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 02:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

axbaby wrote:
Denz .. the low fps is a temporary problem.
the map hasn't been optimized yet "no vis portals".
fps will jump once he figures the best way to vis the map.

Cool

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 03:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Other than the fact its unoptimized, and the doors are a little short it looks great and feels good.. Oh, one bug..

[lvlshot]http://xs53.xs.to/pics/05441/dm6bug.jpg[/lvlshot]

It curdled, and then I couldn't drink it. So I mixed it with some water, and it was alright again.

I am now sick.

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 03:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
Other than the fact its unoptimized, and the doors are a little short it looks great and feels good.. Oh, one bug..

He already fixed that

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 03:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Survivor wrote:
SOAPboy wrote:

He already fixed that

oh rly?

There a newer "beta"?

It curdled, and then I couldn't drink it. So I mixed it with some water, and it was alright again.

I am now sick.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 03:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Fixed the ****z-fighting**** by the mega

Last edited by axbaby on 10-30-2005 03:33 PM, edited 1 time in total.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 03:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
before you knuckleheads comment on the map how about you read the the previous posts so you don't repeat what someone else has already spouted? dimwits.

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 03:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bdw3 wrote:
+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

Got ya

Last edited by Survivor on 10-30-2005 03:34 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 03:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo: I would have left mine if jugg himself hadn't sliped in while i was looking at page 11. :icon14:

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 03:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
SOAPboy wrote:

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

Cry more.. i read the whole thread the other night, didnt get around to dicking with the map until today..

I am now sick.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.