Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        Quake 4 for Mac?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 4 for Mac?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-25-2005 11:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere (I did check scan the posts back to April), does anyone know what's the ETA for Quake 4 for Mac?

Are we going to get an unoptimised version months later with ridiculous hardware requirements (like Doom 3, at least, according to what I've read, didn't bother buying it as my dual G4 isn't remotely up to the task) or is it going to be a (little) bit more simultaneous and better tweaked?

canis
canis
PostPosted: 09-25-2005 01:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it will happen, but it will probably be like D3 where it took quite a few months to get it ported to the mac. I expect the minimum specs will be very similar to those for D3.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 09-26-2005 06:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On a similar note, do you guys remember wayyy back then the earliest id demos of doom 3 where displayed on a mac, or at least, at a mac pr show? I thought id was sleeping in bed with apple, what happened? Doom 3 got butchered. :/

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 09-26-2005 06:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
On a similar note, do you guys remember wayyy back then the earliest id demos of doom 3 where displayed on a mac, or at least, at a mac pr show? I thought id was sleeping in bed with apple, what happened? Doom 3 got butchered. :/

Yeah, I've still got one of those vids somewhere. I remember watching it and just drooling. It was very impressive for back then.

Roman Conqueror
Roman Conqueror
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 09:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was just some GeForce 3 pimpin' sponsored by nvidia. (running on a Mac).

canis
canis
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, it was a well-scripted demo because apple was using new nvidia hardware and wanted to get a wow from the crowd. I'm sure they spent a good chunk of change getting idsoftware to spend the time and resources on that. Hopefully drivers and such mature to be more optimized for D3. As it is, there are some hacks that can boost FPS about 30-50%. Hopefully they give Q4 more optimizations so it will give a better multiplayer experience. I'm expecting to have to tweak the hell out of it, however....

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 10-06-2005 08:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:/ You're saying your G5 isn't good enough?

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 10-06-2005 02:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the video card will matter a lot more than my processors if Q4 doesnt suck as much as D3 did clock for clock as D3 does on mac compared to pc and if they support multiprocessor configurations (which they better, because they don't want to release a turd onto dual core processors)

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 10-20-2005 02:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canis wrote:
Yeah, it was a well-scripted demo because apple was using new nvidia hardware and wanted to get a wow from the crowd. I'm sure they spent a good chunk of change getting idsoftware to spend the time and resources on that. Hopefully drivers and such mature to be more optimized for D3. As it is, there are some hacks that can boost FPS about 30-50%. Hopefully they give Q4 more optimizations so it will give a better multiplayer experience. I'm expecting to have to tweak the hell out of it, however....

Is turning off shadows a hack? :icon25:

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 10-20-2005 03:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I think the video card will matter a lot more than my processors if Q4 doesnt suck as much as D3 did clock for clock as D3 does on mac compared to pc and if they support multiprocessor configurations (which they better, because they don't want to release a turd onto dual core processors)

I'm not holding my breath, much of the delay in the Mac release of Doom3 was aspyr trying ot optimize and then just giving up.

Then again, Stubbs the Zombie's just around the corner, and the Halo engine stands up MUCH better on the Mac.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 10-22-2005 01:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i remember when quake 3 arena was released almost simultaneously on mac, pc and linux...

:puke:

canis
canis
PostPosted: 10-22-2005 10:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's because they tested the network code using the smaller mac user base so they wouldnt get flooded with responses. Having got that up and running it was simple for them to get the rest of the game going on the mac. I thought at that point that times were changing so the Mac would get games closer to the release for the PC. I think there's still too much difference between the mac and PC platform for simultaneous releases. The intel macs should help that problem.

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 03:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canis wrote:
As it is, there are some hacks that can boost FPS about 30-50%.

Seriously, which ones ARE these?

canis
canis
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 09:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 10-31-2005 08:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canis wrote:
The intel macs should help that problem.

But Direct X still creates problems.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 10-31-2005 09:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, but I've read that ~30% of the difference is CPU related, so ports between DirectX and OpenGL will be much easier, and more focused on the graphics libraries instead of both the libraries and the CPU and the OS.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 11-03-2005 10:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i just wondering, it is so difficult port a game like quake 4 for mac? the macintosh hardware really stucks with a game like quake 4? why id, or raven or just aspyr hasnt released a public demo before the game, so they could try any hardware configurations?

i still dont understand why they are waiting so much to say: "Yes, quake 4 is on the way for Macintosh in fall 2007!" or just "No, macintosh hardware/market/users really sucks, so we dont want they play our game!"

:confused:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.