Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        RAID Woes

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: RAID Woes

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 01-24-2006 06:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well just ordered a replacement hard drive for my dad's office. He has a RAID 1 (mirror) set set to backup the boot drive to during lunch via Norton Ghost. The mobo is an ABit IC7-G and I do plan to update all the RAID and mobo drivers before rebuilding the RAID. I am using two Maxtor DiamondMax 9 6Y080M0 (newegg) The reason I make this thread is I am wondering if there is anything that can be done to make a RAID 1 better, I don't know if the drive failed because it was a faulty drive or because of a RAID mishap, so can anyone give me some pointers or advice on how to best make RAID 1?

FragaGeddon
FragaGeddon
PostPosted: 01-24-2006 07:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well if it was a raid mishap, then both drives would have failed. But from your post, it seems like your saying only one failed, therefore it's a hard drive issue.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 01-25-2006 12:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Err yeah. Either your explaination of the situation isn't clear or you're misunderstanding the point of a RAID 1 array.

A RAID 1 array won't magically make your disks last forever. Instead, it increases the security of your data because now you'll be able to go and get a replacement drive, put it in, rebuild the array, and the data will all still be there.

If you want one that increases uptime with data retention then you need a RAID 1 with 3 or more disks, really.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 01-25-2006 04:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

K, well that is what I was thinking. I was just wondering if you guys knew any reason why a drive would fail other then it just failed. I am hoping that the drive simply failed and the RAID will work once I put the new drive in. I didn't think the setup had any bearing on the hard drive failing, but never h urts to ask.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 01-25-2006 05:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its my experience that drives in RAID arrays fail more often than a drive in regular use.

Whether that's because the drive gets more use, or the raid controllers ask it to do funky things, I have no idea. So yeah, it's feasible that being part of a RAID array caused the drive to fail, but I wouldn't chalk it up to misconfiguration.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.