Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Teleporter and need help with final map

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Teleporter and need help with final map

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-28-2005 03:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey guys. i made a quake III map for a lan party and i cant seem to make a teleporter. Can you help with that? Im using GtkRadient 1.4.

Also. I made a pk3 of my map. because im using default textures i didnt need to include them. This issue is that the map doesnt show up when you go and pick your level. Nor does it distribute to the people connecting to the game. They goto join the map and it goes back to the main menu. I gave the pk3 to another person and they were able to join the map. so. if any one knows how to make the pk3 distribute i would greatly appriciate it!

THANKS!!!!

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-28-2005 04:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OMG I LOVE YOU! Ill try it tonight and ill see if i can get it to work! what you were saying about the distribution thing.. im not sure if its a server setting ive never had any trouble sending the map. another issue is when using the map single player.. it wont allow me to add bots. i get these random errors. lemme get it for you.. this is the error i get in the console

Fatal: AAS not initialized
Angel BotAISetupClient failed

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-28-2005 04:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heres some pics to help ya visualize along with what kaz said.

http://www.planetquake.com/bkp/scrotch/tel1.jpg

http://www.planetquake.com/bkp/scrotch/tel2.jpg

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-28-2005 04:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i did compile with -meta. where is -forcesidesvisible? do you want the .map so you can see what im talking about?

Multidirectional
Multidirectional
PostPosted: 07-28-2005 05:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dont forget to texture the trigger teleport with "trigger" shader from common!

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-28-2005 05:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how do you make a few brushes into one combined brush? basically i made steps and its like 30 brushes or more. and the computer has to render all of those sides that arnt visible. so basically i wanted to make all the steps into one block...

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-28-2005 06:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

again you guys fucking rock. im sry im a noob but im learning QUICK! Do any of you have AIM sn's? Any one from RI around here? we are having a lan party..

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-28-2005 06:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh god i dont mean to bother you guys again. noob question here. how to i change the 3d view so i can see solid objects. im sick of this wireframe thing. see the above pics. i want to view objects like that! um... i think its a texture view of sort....

Thanks AGAIN!

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-28-2005 06:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tronicsmasta wrote:
how do you make a few brushes into one combined brush? basically i made steps and its like 30 brushes or more. and the computer has to render all of those sides that arnt visible. so basically i wanted to make all the steps into one block...

you can't merge brushes if the resulting brush would have any concavities in it, which it would in the case of steps. the steps should definitely be detail though, with some structural caulk behind them

oh, and while q3map2 allegedly culls unseen faces, you should build all geometry with caulk then texture only the faces you want visible

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-28-2005 06:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tronicsmasta wrote:
oh god i dont mean to bother you guys again. noob question here. how to i change the 3d view so i can see solid objects. im sick of this wireframe thing. see the above pics. i want to view objects like that! um... i think its a texture view of sort....

Thanks AGAIN!

on the toolbar at the top there should be button with a little grey cube on it and the tooltip says 'texture view mode' - change it from wireframe to trilinear for the best results. if that doesn't work it means your gfx hardware isn't up to the job of rendering the 3D display properly (i.e. it's an onboard chipset for example) in which case you need a card.

Multidirectional
Multidirectional
PostPosted: 07-28-2005 06:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

or in the textures menu theres a submenu for view mode. I LUV flatshaded.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-28-2005 07:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

does someone know where there is a tutorial on how to caulk objects? im not exactly following the last post...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-28-2005 07:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
oh, and while q3map2 allegedly culls unseen faces, you should build all geometry with caulk then texture only the faces you want visible

It only culls unseen faces on structural brushes. Since your map should be 95% detail, this limits the amount of faces actually culled. Just caulk everything.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-28-2005 10:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol i still dont get the caulk thing lol.

Is there a way i can put just one level of light through the whole map? i just want it to be a medium light no shadows?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-29-2005 12:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey awesome people...

How do i make a spotlight. I tried making a light then an info_null object and targeting them together but it didnt work. infact the light itself didnt work? How can i go about this.

Also. how do i make the teleporter glow like the actual maps do. i applied the trigger texture but it doesnt make that blue thing when you look at it... do you know what i mean?

Thanks again guys. youve been great!

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-29-2005 06:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tronicsmasta wrote:
lol i still dont get the caulk thing lol.

Is there a way i can put just one level of light through the whole map? i just want it to be a medium light no shadows?

caulk: build everything out of caulk and put textures only on the faces you want the player to see. i said this already, and there's no simpler way of saying it

lighting: yeah _minlight in worldspawn like kaz said. why you want to do something like this that would make your map look superfugly is another question however

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-29-2005 06:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tronicsmasta wrote:
Hey awesome people...

How do i make a spotlight. I tried making a light then an info_null object and targeting them together but it didnt work. infact the light itself didnt work? How can i go about this.

Also. how do i make the teleporter glow like the actual maps do. i applied the trigger texture but it doesnt make that blue thing when you look at it... do you know what i mean?

Thanks again guys. youve been great!

spotlight: doing the info_null thing won't actually look like a spotlight. you're better off using one of semitransparent beam shaders to make a spotlight cone around a shader light, then putting a light entity near the wall you want it to shine on

teleporter: no idea what you're talking about here. do you mean having a portal on the teleporter that shows you its destination?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-29-2005 06:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
seremtan wrote:

It only culls unseen faces on structural brushes. Since your map should be 95% detail, this limits the amount of faces actually culled. Just caulk everything.

hence my cautious 'allegedly'. i do that anyway

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-29-2005 07:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
hence my cautious 'allegedly'. i do that anyway

I know... just wanted to clarify.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-29-2005 11:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i tried caulking everything but then when you select the side you want to texture... it selects the whole object. maybe im not doing it right...

as far as the portal goes... when your in a regular quake 3 map... the portals have like a blue flame thingy to it. Go play a level with a teleportal and youll see what i mean.
look here...

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 07-29-2005 03:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hit shift ctrl and alt then click multiple faces

that blue i'm guessing is from using a value in worldspawn for lighting.
this could be why i've read that way of lighting kinda sucks "guessing"

or your map is too dark and needs more light in that area "guessing again" or you need a better way of running bspc
with full lighting etc..

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-29-2005 05:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
hit shift ctrl and alt then click multiple faces

that blue i'm guessing is from using a value in worldspawn for lighting.
this could be why i've read that way of lighting kinda sucks "guessing"

or your map is too dark and needs more light in that area "guessing again" or you need a better way of running bspc
with full lighting etc..

Im not sure what you are referring too. i have experimented with several levels of lighting... and it still doesnt show up...

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 07-29-2005 05:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm getting confused reading a few posts. What are you having problems with?

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 07-29-2005 07:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i think he means some textures are washed out ..have an ugly blue look do them and look rather ugly?
from the pic the lighting on the floor looks bad

the still doesn't show up part confuses me too

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-29-2005 08:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
ha that's q3dm4 i think, ax

Haha it is. Im trying to make those except blue... like in some of the other Q3 maps...do you know what i mean? I applied the teleporter texture to trigger but it doesnt show up as the blue teleporter look like in most of the q3 maps....

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 07-29-2005 09:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

doh q3dm4 ..i guess i'm confused too.

i just added a tele to a test map and it looks like the pic he posted

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-29-2005 09:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

can you fill me in on exactly what you did?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-29-2005 09:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh man. i forgot to ask. i cant get my pk3 to show up on the list of maps when selecting stuff.. here is my pk3 and .map files.... can anyone help?

.pk3
.map (right click and save as)

thanks guys for everything!
hey guys.. myserver makes the pk3 a .zip... just rename the extension from .zip to .pk3

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 07-29-2005 10:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haven't downloaded it but did you make a .arena file for your map?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-29-2005 10:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes i did

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 07-29-2005 10:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Downloaded it. Change the type to something like "ffa tourney" instead of "TronicsMasta" :)

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 07-29-2005 10:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you put it in /scripts?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-29-2005 10:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Downloaded it. Change the type to something like "ffa tourney" instead of "TronicsMasta"

i thought that was the creator...

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 07-29-2005 10:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's the gametypes your map supports (ffa, tourney, tdm and/or ctf).

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 07-29-2005 10:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tronicsmasta wrote:
can you fill me in on exactly what you did?

love to help ya but i lost the question somewhere.

i admit i'm confused what the question is.

your trying to at the model for the teleporter?

right click on the grid
choose misc
then misc model
then mapobjects teleporter folder then choose teleporter.md3
move model to where u want it

sorry Kaziganthe ..u posted while i was editing the same thing

Last edited by axbaby on 07-29-2005 11:00 PM, edited 3 times in total.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.