Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        .map ~ .pk3

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: .map ~ .pk3

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 10:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was wondering, how you are supposed to (if even possible) change a .map (from say Quark or qerdiant) to a .pk3 so that you can use it in Quake 3 Arena?
It would be a big help if you could help me out here
Thanks.

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 11:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So you mapped your map and want to play.

Compile it using q3map2. You'll get a .bsp
put the .bsp in a directory named maps. Now us winzip or winrar to make a .zip file of that directory while remembering to save paths.
"Simply rename the zip to pk3 like this "xxxxx.zip"-->"xxxxx.pk3"
Put it in baseq3, start quake, bring down the console by ~ and type "/map xxxxx"

This is the MOST BASIC way. For a better and more clear guide i suggest posting this in level editing and modeling since that is where the peeps who are experienced in this hang out.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 11:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mmm.. My "Q3Map2 Toolz" program isnt working correctly, or at all.
When I double click the icon, it does nothing. When I force open the program; I get an error about an incorrect path to a bot compilier; then it opens. But I cant do anything.
Might there be a more simple tool to convert a .map to a .pk3?

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 11:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know that in qeradiant there is a "bsp" menu. The options in that one will also compile a .bsp. Just choose an option with final in front of it

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 11:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, im using Quark right now, ot build a map, because I haven't built any before, and as a starter, I'd like to use something easy.. thus leaving quarediant or whatever alone.
In that event, Quark saves generally as a .map file. I cannot open it in qeradiant because it gives me a parse error.
And of course, the other program is useless because it wont work to begin with.

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I started mapping straight from gtkradiant. It isn't that hard but i have zero experience when it comes to anything but radiant. Try LEM

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 12:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I cant even make an object in radient, let alone try to convert a map to .pk3
I know there has to be a way using Quark though

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 12:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 09:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm moving this to LEM as you'll probably get more help there.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-07-2005 10:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A *.pk3 file is just a renamed *.zip file - you can make it any way you normally zip up files. It is not a file conversion of any sort at all.

I use Pakscape.exe, google for it and I'm sure you can find some place to download it, if you want to try it.

-

filetypes:

*.map - used only in the editor for Q3

*.bsp - a compiled *.map file, made with q3map.exe or q3map2.exe. This is what the game itself uses.

*.pk3 - a storage file, with compression, to put your *.bsp and any other resources your map needs, such as custom textures and shaders.

-

I'm sure there is info in the sticky threads about this stuff if it is new to you.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.