Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        pukka3tourney2 Beta

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: pukka3tourney2 Beta

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-19-2005 04:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's true that it is just a copypsot from promodeforums, but I wanted to let you know though :)

Just for information: It's a duel map for cpma, so it has some minor issues in vanilla (as the crates for example, you get stuck on them), but if you like it though and you have some improvement suggestions, let me know :)

It's beta-time,
I kept the layout of alpha8 so far, just some minor tweaks.
I added some boxes in the RA area to give the player a second option to escape.
I'm still searching for a crusher, that fits the theme, perhaps anyone has some nice idea... (it's just a visual question).
Is the crusher useful at all?
I'm (not) waiting for some guy worrying about those lightbeams, dunno if I can get rid of those :D ...

I'm still interested in following points:
- itemplacement
- spawns
- cosmetics :-) (the beta is only 83,5% done, so you find some spots that are not as detailed as the rest of the map)
- are the crates handy for vertical connections, or just annoying?!

The room which has be fixed most is probably the MH room. So any suggestion on this location are very appreciated.

Image Image

You can play the map on Lazery Servers:
Quake 3 CPMA TNY 1 217.158.150.85:27961
Quake 3 CPMA TNY 2 217.158.150.85:27964

Just /callvote map pukka3tourney2_beta1
and don't forget to vote for a official map before you leave the server...

I'm interested in your demorecordings again!

So, can't wait what you think of and what suggestions/ideas you have.

And finally the download loacation: pukka3tourney2 Beta

Cheers! sumatra

Lasery Roboty
Lasery Roboty
PostPosted: 06-20-2005 03:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The button activates the MH trap AFAIK.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-20-2005 04:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

- Z-fighting in the MH alcove
- When looking outside (skybox), you can see other parts of the map

I'll post screenies if you want. Map has a nice atmosphere and fast gameplay.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-21-2005 10:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks great, plays great :)

-maybe a hole or glass under the mega so you can see if its up

-make the button shootable as well as pushable?

-texture misalignment on the crates in front of one of the tp's

-overlapping brushes on the stairs behind the RL (i can post a screenie)

-when I shoot at these brushes, my shots dissapear into them:

-Nice water shader, mind if I 'borrow' it?

-Crates make for fast-paced vertical connectors in cpm, but in baseq3 i get stuck on them a bit. I would still keep them tho.

Very fast-paced and open map.. looks like it will be a ton of fun when its complete. I will run around on it again and maybe get back to you with some more feedback.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-21-2005 10:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Please dude, dont use jpeg textures again. POSSIBLY if you are going to be using medium res textures at 512x512, but there is just to much compression on lower res textures.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-21-2005 10:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice map, very nice. Some cool jumps in there. :icon14:

Now then... These are all things in my head, so feel free to ignore them.

- Those grates with the round holes in, scale them down again. The holes are VERY big, stand out a bit too much.

- The teleporters are cool, but they need something to stand out a bit. I'll try and think something up.

- The blood is too red and solid, try making it a bit darker and more random in terms of how its been splat against the surface.

- The lights are good, so to do a bit more with them. Add some autosprite flares, or even some glows.

- The level is much too bright, maybe tone down the overall brightness of the level, add a tiny bit of fog.

I'm goin for tea, ill stick up some ideas in a bit...

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-21-2005 12:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quick WIP of an idea for teleporters

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-21-2005 12:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Try them using testmodel commands. There is one for each portal:

http://www.quake2evolved.com/odium/portals.pk3

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-21-2005 12:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very fancy ideas floating around here, i'm very glad about your encouraging interest :)

To your particular posts:

@Kaz:
- Button: MH trap, there are some nice ideas to replace this one.
- I'll give it a try, your models have a nice touch, havent done this before though, but I think its not that difficult...
- z-fightings will be fixed next beta
- sparklies as well

@voodoochopsticks:
- righty right, mister...

@misantropia:
- Z-fightings will be fixed
- Dunno where you were able to see other parts of the map while looking outside a window?!.. It's not intended to fly around the map :D

@StormShadow:
- I'll keep the holeidea in mind, maybe something similar to the RA-spot on the new aerowalk [cpm22]
- There were some nice ideas over at promode forums about shootable trigger, also to add more gameplaydepth..
- I'll check out to create some ase-models
- Those are nonsolid brushes, to get rid of little heightdifferences, which are very annoying in cpma, also to leave ramps
- I would be glad if my shader would be used in one of your maps, your work is very appreciated :icon31: ..

Feel free to add soem more ideas and impressions

@o'dium:
- I'll try to get those textures with less compression, I downloaded them as bmps 256x256, I think I'll convert tthem to tgas this time
- was also thinking about scaling those grateholes down, will be fixed
- teleporters: nice idea, I don't want to have portal shaders in my map, it's for cpma ;) but thanks for your effort anyway
- the decaltex-pack is by myth, I going to ask him for permission to change the texture saturation/brightness
- I don't like autosprites in Q3 (I've done some maps for UT in the past, coronas work much better), haven't seen any good autosprites, that don't dissappear in walls, which results in a bad effect/edge (horrible im putting commas like a rabbit). If you got any, please show me..
- I got still an ambient value of 15, which I'll leave for final (alsoto add more contrast)

Again the tele idea, looks fantastic, but I don't want to use a portal...thanks anyway..

I'm quite happy about your attention, I'll come back with new beta soon...
Feel free to add more ideas/impressions though!

cheers sumatra

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-21-2005 12:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

omg they look damn nice, I'm trying them ingame now!!!!!
thanks m8 !!

sumatra

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-21-2005 12:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The teles are ok for CPMA because they are simple shaders, not like the q3dm7 tele's which are actual portals. The Quake 3 ones are quite slow, but obviously, they ARE a real time portal. The ones i did use simple pics, so they wont give anybody away at all, but still look effective enough for eye candy.

I had a feeling the reason you didn't want Q3DM7 style portals was because of fairness, and TBH i agree. Its silly not being able to see somebody who is watching you.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-21-2005 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually realized it when I saw the shaderfile :)

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-21-2005 02:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sumatra wrote:
- Dunno where you were able to see other parts of the map while looking outside a window?!.. It's not intended to fly around the map :D

Here is a small demo (52K).

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-22-2005 12:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, of course.. I forgot to say, the map is almost completly unclipped.
...will be fixed!!! Thanks misantropia

sumatra

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 06-22-2005 02:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks nice sumatra. Some good work going on and can't wait for a final version of this. I will come back with some screenies later, if I don't forget, hehehe.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-30-2005 12:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey, I'm up with my first rc.
thanks for support, especially odium for the nice teleshader...

x-post from promode forums
-------------
Ok, now it's time to kill minor issues and details.
I'm back with release candidate numero uno!

Comments appreciated about:
- Performance
- Botplay (?)
- Itemplacement
- Visuals
- suggestions about a sky that fits the theme
- everything else you want :)

I was thinking about the MH trap/door/button ideas, but I came to the point to leave them completely.
I cut out a small hole under the MH though.

Image Image

Download RC1 (Beta2) ~ 9 MB
-------------

sumatra

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 07-30-2005 01:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaziganthe, want to try a game on it?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 07-30-2005 01:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:(

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 07-30-2005 03:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

where you at mrs. ?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-31-2005 01:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, *downloads*...

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-31-2005 01:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok well, I love it. The changes you have made REALLY are nice. Its so much more cooler now, plus you have a lot of solid choices (The MH has a grating etc). Plus the lighting, the shadows etc are all fantastic.

However, on my version, your grates are not invisible? They are all solid black... Maybe I still have the old version in there, that may be why, heh...

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-31-2005 01:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nope, its not because of the old version. My grating is really solid black still :( and the light inside the fan tunnel has a weird effect on the light (plus it shouldn't be casting light in that direction onto the wall, I'm sure you know :P )

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-31-2005 02:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Forget that, i think its a conflict my end, odd... Anyways...

I've been working on your water. I thought it was missing a certain something, so here, try this shader. I've changed your deform to a more gentle level and added a slight enviroment map effect to fake specular. Give this a try:

Code:
textures/pukka3tourney2/acid
{
qer_editorimage textures/pukka3tourney2/acid.tga
qer_trans .75
q3map_lightimage textures/pukka3tourney2/acid.tga
qer_trans .75
q3map_globaltexture
qer_trans .5

surfaceparm noimpact
surfaceparm slime
surfaceparm nolightmap
surfaceparm trans      

q3map_surfacelight 100
tessSize 32
cull disable
deformVertexes wave 30 sin 0 3 0 .3
deformVertexes normal .1 .15
   {
      map textures/effects/envmap2.tga
      blendfunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
      tcGen environment
   }
   {
      map textures/pukka3tourney2/bubbles.tga
      blendfunc add
      tcgen environment
      rgbgen wave sin .5 0 0 0
      tcmod scale 0.75 0.75
      tcMod scroll .01 .01
   }
   {
      map textures/pukka3tourney2/acid.tga
      blendfunc GL_ZERO GL_SRC_COLOR
      tcMod turb .2 .1 .1 .2
      tcMod scale .5 .5
      tcMod scroll .001 .001
   }
}

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-31-2005 05:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very, very nice :icon14:!
Here's a suggestion for another skybox: Kell's "Dust".

Some ingame shots:
[lvlshot]http://www.todtsteltzer.de.vu/feedback/pukka3t2/pukka3t2_01.jpg[/lvlshot][lvlshot]http://www.todtsteltzer.de.vu/feedback/pukka3t2/pukka3t2_02.jpg[/lvlshot]
[lvlshot]http://www.todtsteltzer.de.vu/feedback/pukka3t2/pukka3t2_03.jpg[/lvlshot][lvlshot]http://www.todtsteltzer.de.vu/feedback/pukka3t2/pukka3t2_04.jpg[/lvlshot]

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-31-2005 05:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah that sky box fits, with a nice warm slightly orange/yellow fog (A tiny bit dammit, like on luns levels)

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 07-31-2005 11:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I really like the way you've done the light beams, it looks much nicer than the horrid little round flares you see in a lot of maps.

My only nitpicks would be that there is a point directly above the plasma gun where spectators can see untextured faces, and that the little triangular bridge the grate texture stops a bit suddenly, maybe a tiny trim wouldn't go amiss there.

That Kell sky would fit quite well. I'm not keen on the current sky, it does look like a bit of a Terragen quickie. It takes a lot longer to get a really good sky out of Terragen than most people tend to put in.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-31-2005 11:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't really like the texturing of the post-beta versions of this map; it feels more like a chemical waste dump than like an arena. :icon7: Playing the map in picmip 16 isn't recommendable btw; the slime isn't green anymore but just an unrecognizable hazy white fluid. The spotlights are annoyingly solid too, particularly at the high YA spawn point (it throws a white haze over the screen).

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-31-2005 12:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It doesn't look bad at all. You shouldn't make maps for picmip 16 anyways, its not exactly like Quake 3 hurts systems these days.

Anyways, I feel if he was to get the proper .tga textures and use them uncompressed (not these jpeg or jpeg converted ones), then added a tiny bit of fogging over the whole level, then chnaged the sky box, he should be done. But yes, those few little details need tweaking too.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 07-31-2005 01:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
You shouldn't make maps for picmip 16 anyways

You should when it's the CPMA crowd you're targetting.

o'dium wrote:
its not exactly like Quake 3 hurts systems these days

It isn't for FPS (usually) but for increased visibility. Picmip 16 means less distracting, obfuscating eye-candy.

o'dium wrote:
Anyways, I feel if he was to get the proper .tga textures and use them uncompressed (not these jpeg or jpeg converted ones)

It's already a pretty big download at 9 MB. A silly argument in this time of broadband perhaps, but people tend to pick up the smaller maps and skip the larger ones.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 07-31-2005 01:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What really irks me atm are the slime pools: not their color but their depth. When battling over the RA, it's too easy to fall into them and too hard to get out. Making them a bit more shallow would be a Good Thing IMO.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-31-2005 01:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"You should when it's the CPMA crowd you're targetting."

Yes but as my shots show, its perfectly easy to see those pools so thats not an issue?

"It isn't for FPS (usually) but for increased visibility. Picmip 16 means less distracting, obfuscating eye-candy."

Yes, but again, this issue doesn't matter because you can clearly see the pools...?

"It's already a pretty big download at 9 MB. A silly argument in this time of broadband perhaps, but people tend to pick up the smaller maps and skip the larger ones."

lol, this is another pointless part. pk3 files can be compressed. Jpeg's can not be compressed. tgas can be compressed. The file size will not change if he uses tga OR jpeg, it will be about the same. Add this to the fact hes already using jpeg images saved as tga, (So bad compression but on TGA) and again, this is pointless.

9 meg is nothing.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 07-31-2005 01:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Yes but as my shots show, its perfectly easy to see those pools so thats not an issue?

Try it with r_vertexlight 1 and r_picmip 16.

o'dium wrote:
Yes, but again, this issue doesn't matter because you can clearly see the pools...?

I meant general gameplay, not just the pools.

o'dium wrote:
lol, this is another pointless part [snip] 9 meg is nothing.

I don't really care about size but others do. If you don't believe, check the ChallengeWorld forums :)

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-31-2005 01:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lsiten buddy, that "snip" is the part you SHOULD of read. jpegs do NOT compress inside of pk3 files. tga files do. SO, your point is wasted. ;)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-31-2005 01:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
It doesn't look bad at all. You shouldn't make maps for picmip 16 anyways, its not exactly like Quake 3 hurts systems these days.

I'm very interested how you get the acid look as green as in your image with picmip 16.
On my system the pool looks nearly transparent, that is truly annoying.

- I'll try to reduce the filesize, as I'm able to...
- I'll keep the depth issue of the slimepools in mind. But I want o hear what other think first.
- Skybox looks nice and fits as well, thx Todtsteltzer :)

Oh and if anyone has some matches on it vs. humans, pls record a demo and I can have a look.
I also try to get it on a public server, it's pity that the Lazery seiies are passlocked.
So if any server admin from europe wants to server, it would be nice ;) !!!

Looking forward for more thoughts ;)

sumatra

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-31-2005 01:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The slime is different because its a better, new shader sir ;)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.