Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Can you remember your very first map?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Can you remember your very first map?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 01-26-2017 09:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello. Can you remember your very first map? :D I mean truly first, ugly and mostly unplayable map with no gameplay in mind and very dull environment, mostly rather some editor testing than serious map? :D

Here is mine:
Sudden Death: czg_sude, Download (PK3, 409,6 kB)
Released: June, 26th 2011, Other maps.

Topview:

This is my very first map I ever made public. It's rather just a test and I got pretty excited about the result back in the time, so I decided to put it online (I didn't know about lvlworld.com yet, so I downloaded maps from there before I ever discovered Tig's websites) :D Very ugly, huh? :D

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 01-29-2017 09:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://czghost.4fan.cz/2017/01/first-re ... a-garbage/

I made a post and re-released the map for those who are interested :)

WARNING!
The map is pretty much old and outdated and may cause you a hearth attack when you load it up! :D It's pretty ugly map :)

I may rework that map to meet today's Quake 3 mapping standards and also make it available in Quake Live Steam Workshop to download and play with friends. The map actually needs pretty vast cleanup and very complex edits (adding more details, balancing item placement, balancing lighting, etc.). So it may take a while :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-02-2017 08:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My first "map" that was playable in some sort of a way was that " Ye Olde Pump" i posted 2 years ago.
The first editors i can remember were DEU and DeeP in the mid 90´s.
Followed by Build/dn3d and some years of PC abstinence i finally got back into "playing around with tools" with Q2...
QuArK5 at that time.
And then there was Q3...and the madness...

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 02-02-2017 09:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Where did you post it? :D Here on Q3W? :D I hit search button on both Tig's websites and Worldspawn - no results :D

EDIT: Found it here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=50931
But I must admit I got lost :D Where is latest download? :D Why did you cancelled it? :) Do you plan to actually fiddle around and finish it? :) Because it looks really great, like from skilled mapper :) I contributed some thoughts, too :) Texturing is quite good, but it needs some tweaks :)

As for your map, it would be really a shame if it may be burried under unfinished project. I could actually take my Sudden Death map and edit it to look better. Make it a redux and an ordinary map in series :) I shared the map to lvlworld.com for Tig (and said it's an older map that was first shared on Worldspawn and won't be shamed for a bad score and very critic review). Then I'd make the redux (to keep the chronoligical order a bit).

Do you plan to return to your Ye Olde Map (or whatever is it called)? :) Because it's really nice map and it doesn't deserve to be forgotten and burried under unfinished project :D Calcellation is something that should be really considered. I cancelled few maps I was making for Team Arena and for Vanilla Q3. Then I received a statut of canceller, starting an ambitious project and shreding it. But I don't want to deserve that statut. I don't want to be called a canceller. I actually want to show some progress and my ideas. And finish it. It's very hard and time consuming, which is something I'm weak to handle. But I don't want to give it up anymore. And I cancelled some really ambitious and looking-forward projects. And I'm really sorry for that now. I ran out of ideas pretty quickly, the maps even did not see a beta stage. I'm outta to change this... So may you. Finish your previously cancelled map and I'll write a prise review for you :) I promise :) Of course when you have a time :) I bet you could do it better now :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-02-2017 11:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I dont think i got that mapfile on my hdd anymore, but i will try to add sections that"worked" from all older maps into newer ones.
BTW heres a near beta of my map, but its not clipped ATM!
So get ready for a bumpy-action/wo-bots and a heavy DL: :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xc25c4os6p5p0 ... 1.pk3?dl=0

EDIT: its QL version, so if you want to play you gotta go with ql/wolfcam or a hex-editor-change of the bsp to make it work with q3a!

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 02-02-2017 01:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Or just buy QL :D But I have to find right payment method. I'm a little bit scared of PayPal as it's charging own fees for foreign transactions not further specified and highly attractive to phishing (I get sometimes some spam emails looking like from PayPal, saying my account was freezed and I have to send my personal data to unlock it - first of all: it's junk, then, I do not have PayPal account, which simply means my PayPal account can't be freezed, and finally, it's easy to check it out by logging in with real PayPal sites, but when you have PayPal account and see this in your inbox, you may feel a little heart attack first). I don't know if it supports using any debit card labeled Mastercard (I have one for my bank account, but not sure if it support online banking transactions such as Steam Wallet). Actually, I don't want to screw anything up and lose some significat part of money. Maybe I should talk with someone who actually know something more about that...

Well, it's really shame :( But... Am I correct you made it first for Quake 3? What's the latest Quake 3 download? It's always good to have also alternative version to your map, if you make it for eighter Quake Live or Quake 3. So with primarily Quake Live you can (for testing) release its corresponding Quake 3 version to allow testing for those who actually do not play Quake Live and don't want to download WolfcamQL or buy the game. Also, simple hexedit doesn't work, you have actually convert the map by compiler to get it work under Quake 3 as Quake Live has additional lumps which Quake 3 engine does no recognise and BSP file will be rejected as wrong format (calling an unspecified error and crashing the game, that's why it's looking for IBSP version, to prevent that from happening). On the other side, similarly Quake 3 map converted to Quake Live (with manual hexedit from IBSPv46 to IBSPv47) may or may not work under Quake Live (which may interpret it incorrectly and possibly run out of memory causing a memory leak and may crash the game as well)... Hexadecimal editor is really bad helper in this manner...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-03-2017 02:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My first ever released map was this: https://lvlworld.com/review/id:834

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 02-03-2017 04:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Great :)

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-21-2017 11:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wish I still had my first maps. One of them was the usual "My House!!" type map with secrets put EVERYWHERE. For some reason I had an obsession with churches, so you could access one from shooting the fridge, shooting a wall in my bedroom... etc. It was pretty stupid but amazing after figuring out Q3Radiant.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.