Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Screenshots

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-29-2009 09:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nitin77 wrote:
fkd/sumatra,

what levels? I love classic UT

Sent you a private message...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-29-2009 01:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
We got a certain something working in OverDose... Can you tell what it is yet...?

that's pretty shit-hot. the fact that someone can make something like that without having to manipulate every single vertex and then paint the entire bastard thing by hand is also pretty shit-hot. having painted terrain meshes in UT2K4 (ZZZzzzzzzzz.......) i can appreciate this

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 06-05-2009 09:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Meet The Team - Marauders

In order left to right - Drone (Grunt), Locum (Medic), Scout (Recon), Technician (Engineer) and Infiltrator (Field Ops.)

Second one rather looks as if he needs a medic. ;)

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 06-10-2009 10:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Working on something newish, please ignore as-of-yet un-sourced yellow spotlights:

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 06-10-2009 10:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*poke* *poke*

I am tehSandwich (AKA CyberSirius) and I'm a former Unreal Tournament mapper.
I'm new here and, after reading many tutorials and did many test maps, I started making a Q3 map.

This is obviously far from complete.

*runs away*

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 06-11-2009 06:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You might be doing this already, but you should "miter" the edges of your angled brushes. I'm specifically referring to where the wall pieces next to your stairs are going upward... these should be skewed slightly instead of completely vertical. A little sketch:

Also, I think it'd look better if you alternate between a stair trim with a light and one without, it's a little repetitive as-is. Looks good!

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 06-11-2009 08:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Slightly more progress!

Next thing to work on, the sky.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-12-2009 03:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks quite nice for a Q3 map!

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 06-12-2009 06:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unimportant update!

Apparently, my texture detail level was not maxed in my previous screenshots.
Now, you should see lunaran's textures at their full glory.
Currently with a temporary sky. It will be darker than that.

EDIT: Here's the sky. Made using Bryce 5.5.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-17-2009 07:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yay another ut mapper! welcome! looks interesting, waits for beta :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-20-2009 02:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My new map for Quake2World

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 06-20-2009 08:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

great atmosphere, especially with the fog. But I think more angular architecture is needed.

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 06-22-2009 07:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

prototype - - the tools that are used for tomb raider games and stuff worked with the textures in this game lol

edit - - fixed his jacket and hood color so it matches the character, in case youre wondering im trying to make an urban real life version of: http://www.animegalleries.net/albums/Na ... hi0129.jpg

a13n i saw what you wrote.. unless i was dreaming or you edited your post, I keep making the same character because its simple and im just learning how to model / texture / uv map / bump map, once i actually can make something halfway decent i'm obviously not going to keep making the same character over and over, besides, if you've played the game, a ninja DOES belong in it... not some hooded punk that has no eyebrows haha

Last edited by Bacon on 06-23-2009 01:58 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 06-22-2009 11:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's a 3 AM update.

I'm working on the other 80% of the level at the moment.

EDIT: fixed the pictures.

Last edited by tehSandwich on 06-23-2009 07:53 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 06-23-2009 02:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep, I'm still banned.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 06-24-2009 05:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Progress continues...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-24-2009 06:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ShadoW_86: That kicks ass.

Kaz: This is also looking pretty sweet.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-25-2009 08:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q3 doodle using ID textures ...

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 06-25-2009 10:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that looks really atmospheric sock, especially the view from the windows. nice one.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-25-2009 03:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks great and reminds me a lot of quake 1 (which is good).

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-25-2009 05:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, Sock! That looks great.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 06-25-2009 07:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You should be banned for showing that much 'wood' ;)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-26-2009 01:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Updated/fixed final version of my map Necropolis, for Quake2World

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-26-2009 06:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kat wrote:
You should be banned for showing that much 'wood' ;)

Yeah I love using wood textures, they are alot of fun to use in non-wood like structures. The map is really just a doodle, no gameplay. I recently went to Barcelona on holiday and spent ages checking out all the Gaudi stuff. I especially like how he created organic shapes from traditional materials and I wanted to play with shapes as well, hence the doodle.

Thanks everyone for the comments, Im glad you liked it, it gives me an indication of what shapes work well together. If anyone is interested in any of the pictures I took of Gaudi stuff, they are all on my site. Some have descriptive text, some don't, Ive not really got round to finishing them off yet.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 06-26-2009 06:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That looks excellent, shadow.
Better than most Q3A stuff, actually.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-26-2009 03:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q3 doodle using sock's (mostly) textures ... :)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-26-2009 03:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looking cool. A little too much sun streaks, IMO. Turn down the opacity to 1/10 or so since each additional layer is additive to the next.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-27-2009 01:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantazm11 wrote:
Q3 doodle using sock's (mostly) textures ... :)

Nice to see more doodles, also good as prefabs for later on when developing maps. I especially like the broken wall stuff, always lots of fun to create.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 06-27-2009 01:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I would say loose the sun streaks, since I don't think they seems to fit that lighting at all.
Looks cool otherwise.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-27-2009 10:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the advice guys.

I'll tone down the sunrays a bit but will probably keep them. The lighting is preliminary and far from final. Just wanted to get a general reaction to see if I was heading in the right direction. I can always count on you guys for honest advice.

Just a quick question. I've done a bit of searching but have come up empty handed so far. All of my terrain models are LWO's and do not block the player in game. Is there a trick (key/value pair) to make them solid, or should I reimport all models a second time with a clip material to overlay the originals? Terrain modelling in Q3 is new territory for me.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 06-27-2009 11:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

google q3map_clipmodel

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-27-2009 12:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantazm11 - http://www.katsbits.com/cgi-bin/ikonboa ... &t=9&st=60

Embedding the mesh in simple clip brushes will make them solid. I remember there being a better way though but I couldn't find it on my first two searches.

Look around on Katsbits.com. Lots of stuff on idtech3/idtech4 level design through .ase (and I believe .lwo) meshes.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 06-27-2009 05:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

either spawnflags 4 or spawnflags 2, one clips the other lightmaps

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-27-2009 06:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool stuff guys :)
I just meet Eagle Eye Sherry and he is cool and absolutely relaxed, lol hopefully I remember thia post tomorrow

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 06-27-2009 07:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaz wrote:
either spawnflags 4 or spawnflags 2, one clips the other lightmaps

@ phatanzm: Try and keep the use of the clipflag Kaz mentioned above to a minimum and on very basic shapes otherwise you'll hit the MAX_MAP_ errors in no time. Best thing to do, depending on the rest of the stuff, is just clipbrush the models in the editor or create simplified clip hulls with "clip" material applied (which is what Silicon linked to).

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.