Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Screenshots

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 03-25-2009 06:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^misantropia^ wrote:
People store stuff. I think the shelves are fine. The lockers are a bit shiney yet bland, though. They don't really seem to fit in.

I just think it's a little silly given the context of being a lone defensive bunker, it's not like they're hanging out changing clothes giving it a new coat of paint. It looks good but every single location doesn't have barrels pipes crates cardboard boxes grimy newspaper on the floor paintcans tires(???) etc.

Are you adding new areas at all? It'd be really interesting to see new routes to the document room.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-25-2009 07:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, not every area DOES have lockers, pipes barrels etc... But then, this isn't a defensive bunker anymore. The original level was set as a bunker on a beach, while the Axis had to protect documents in a locked down bunker, and the Alies had to steal them. But that was during a war. If you think about it, the plot of OD is that its no longer a war in the classic sense, more so a fight for survival. This entire battle could be taking place in a candy shop, it could be taking place in bay 7 of the local ASDA... Does that mean that those locations should only have Toys, or Food etc?

Of course, the original theme plays a huge part in it. But take your home as it is today, then wait over a hundred years and nuclear wars later, and you tell me would it all be as it is now? You will have people hunting for whatever they can use to survive, you will have people setting up homes and safe areas, you will have people storing all sorts of things in the most strange places.

But in answer to your question of it being "silly" to have lockers in a "defensive" bunker...? Well think about that. Those lockers could contain ammo, weapons, protective clothing? Would you like the people there to leg it up the hill to the changing room every time they shit themselves? :p

In relation to other items:

Floor/Floor damage - Yeah I agree. Its mostly down to perspective. With it being so close to the floor the tiles look REALLY odd, however I have been toying with changing it, but as yet my minds blank.

Lockers are shiney/bland - Totally agree, and will be making seperate "rusted/dirty" versions soon.

Physics Engine etc - Well, we wont have Crysis level shit, but I can tell you its gonna be COD4 level at least, as in if theres a tin can there, you can bet your arse you can shoot it around.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 03-25-2009 07:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That shelve doesn't look too safe considering the bunker is going to get bombed by grenades, rocket launchers etc. One wallhit and it'll fall over. :p

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-25-2009 07:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Then I'll have to make the shelves static props Ja? :p

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-26-2009 07:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 03-26-2009 08:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That hose is a strangulation waiting to happen.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-26-2009 08:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe he's into that kind of thing ;)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-26-2009 08:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The goggles look a bit more like welding goggles, especially with the downwards pointed angle on them more suitable for an engineer. Perhaps make them look more like night vision or a scope or laser or something.

Also, I don't understand why many game characters would be dressed in camo or whatever and then be plastered with bright glowing lights. Like Splinter Cell for instance, he's a modern day ninja and yet he has super bright LCD screens plastered all over him that miraculously, no one else can see.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-26-2009 08:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He isn't wearing camo?

And maybe its because its a game, and not real life? A team game at that? I can understand your point about Splinter Cell, it was always stupid this guy hid in the shadows with huge bright green goggles that glow in the dark. You would think the AI would spot them. But here, both teams have team colours, MDR is Orange glows, CMC is Green. Its more to do with visibility on your team than "standing out in the dark" if I'm honest.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-26-2009 08:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As for the "brown lights" dig, come on chap, its a theme, its a style. Thats my level, thats all. There are other levels of course with different styles, but a saturated, light contrasted gloomy looking scene fits a post apocalyptic game much more. That may be why games such as Gears of War, Quake, Unreal and the like are always "full of brown and grey".... Because if you had rolling green fields and flows it paints the wrong picture, no?

Here is one that one of the forum guys is working on, its hardly brown :p

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-26-2009 09:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Something else I've been messing with is destroying mp_beach in whatever ways I can so that it looks old and destroyed:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 03-26-2009 10:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like that final shot, odium, have you done the wall section with a single alpha channeled texture?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-26-2009 10:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There are two versions of it. One is a simple alpha tested surface, which can be used anywhere with a patch. The other, which is above, is a model that traces the outline of the alpha testing (but still uses it), but bends the edge where the plaster breaks off slightly so that it has some depth.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-26-2009 12:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lets see some character models :D

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-26-2009 01:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
As for the "brown lights" dig, come on chap, its a theme, its a style. Thats my level, thats all. There are other levels of course with different styles, but a saturated, light contrasted gloomy looking scene fits a post apocalyptic game much more. That may be why games such as Gears of War, Quake, Unreal and the like are always "full of brown and grey".... Because if you had rolling green fields and flows it paints the wrong picture, no?

I dunno... there's something to be said with nature overtaking man-made objects.
The contrast between the two, in my opinion, lends itself towards an eerie quality. (One of the most memorable examples for me is the t-virus infected plant growing through the mansion in Resident Evil)

I think the main issue with the brown/grey thing is that it just creates a murkiness to the scene. While the use of darker/cold colors does help create a more depressing ambiance, I think a post-apocalyptic world could easily be represented in a new light through warmer hues and more saturated colors.

There may be games that already do this but I wouldn't know. I've only been playing games from between the mid '80s and mid '90s lately.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 03-26-2009 02:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
There are two versions of it. One is a simple alpha tested surface, which can be used anywhere with a patch. The other, which is above, is a model that traces the outline of the alpha testing (but still uses it), but bends the edge where the plaster breaks off slightly so that it has some depth.

so in that shot, the wall is a model, rather than a brush?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-26-2009 08:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Models. Brushes. It's all kind of murky these days. Regardless, a polygon is a polygon and most modern engines treat them the more or less the same with various exceptions depending on the engine and usage.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-27-2009 12:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually obs you would be shocked that most modern engines still treat them both differently. OverDose has a per pixel rendering engine which treats all surfaces the same, regardless. It is 100% impossible to tell the difference between a model, dynamic model and a brush in-game because they are all lit the same. But most modern engines still have trouble with this. Unreal Engine 3 for example needs a hell of a lot of background work to get a model lit almost the same as a brush, but even putting the two side by side you can still tell which is which. You can get around it though, thankfully. Some games only vertex light models STILL, so you get huge glowing walls of a different brightness where it changes, ala the Q2 days. That’s mostly lightmaped engine that haven't really caught up with the times. Fallout 3 and Resi 5 both spring to mind as games that, if there’s a model in the map that isn't inlined into map geometry at compile time, will glow oddly... In fact it came in handy in RE5 because trash lids and barrels etc all glowed in the level, so I knew where they were :P

But yeah phant, in that shot, the small 16x16 unit patch is a mesh, with what’s behind it (pipes, frame, wooden wall) brushwork. Oddly, adding the extra polygons and cutting out the shape (Regardless of bending the edge like I have done) is FASTER for our engine to render than just having a single patch there, because our engine, like the Doom 3 engine (only more serious, thanks to the shadow maps) is highly fillrate bound. So removing an extra pass, wherever possible, helps more than adding polygons. In some cases it just makes more sense to add polies, which is odd but makes sense when you think about it.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 03-27-2009 12:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
But most modern engines still have trouble with this.

That's because it is often faster to draw static models as, er, static models than feeding it to the video card as a homogeneous tri soup. Performance/ease of use trade-off. Or am I stating the obvious here?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-27-2009 01:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty much chap :p There are quite a few hacks available these days for lightmap based games to use, but often it makes hardly any difference. In a game like Doom 3 where shit bursts out of the walls, its pretty much needed to have it all lit the same. It builds tension not knowing when its gonna happen. I'm still angry that the AWESOME scene from the Doom 3 beta with the Pinky bursting through the wall didn't make it to the final, it had some awesome animation and sound... Damn, I made myself sad at how poor the sound in the final version was :(

Anyway, yeah, most games tend to get away with it because you only really notice it on dynamic models anyway, so its not much concern. Not many games have the extra detail to have animated walls like that, so its of no concern :p

But if he was mapping for, say, the Q3 engine, then this wall would glow a different shade compared to the rest, oddly.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-27-2009 04:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just uploaded a small dev blog to the ModDB page which should get updated soon (When the mods wake up lol :p). I wont post the actual contents, you can visit the site for that. I don'y really wanna clutter this thread with useless info, but you can see the dev blog here (When its approved remember):

http://www.moddb.com/games/overdose/new ... -you-build

As for the new pics, click the pics as always:

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 03-27-2009 06:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Floor's getting better...
Some suggestions:
-try not just removing random chunks of tiles, the tiles that were originally there would be floating around somewhere
-some tiles higher than others, some in the same place but angled and rotated a little
-not the same material, but a decent example of damaged tiles (http://www.littleriverbooks.com/photos/tileflor.jpg)

looking good

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-27-2009 06:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was gonna add a few to the top. Its all just a texture, not brush work.

I'll try and add some over the top that sit on top.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-29-2009 12:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just did a piss stained mattress, after all we needed one lol:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-29-2009 03:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A little update on the school map. Compiled with -notrace and everything else which fastened the compiling.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-29-2009 08:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

odium, have a couple springs poking through the fabric on that mattress and it'll totally kick ass. :up:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-30-2009 01:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its all so....brown. im sure its been said before.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-30-2009 11:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah ok, I'll get right onto the Quake 3 themed space levels and purple backgrounds, that will fit right at home in this universe... Just after I finish the Mushroom Kingdom level.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-31-2009 09:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wish Q3W would stop deleting my text if I'm not logged in. It's annoying as fuck.

As for the color thing, o'dium, there is quite a bit you could do to get some non-brown colors in to the environment.

Examples:
- Chemical reactions. You mentioned CoD 4 level physics. Have containers of chemicals that you can shoot and a particle effect to create different colored gases. Greens, reds, etc...

- Electricity Arcing. http://www.scienceclarified.com/images/uesc_04_img0215.jpg

- Plants. Have some areas that are in disrepair start to be overtaken by ivy type plants. This would give you room to add in vivid brightly colored flowers to break up the brown in the scene.

- Boxes. I noticed that in your previous shots the boxes are just cardboard. Cover them in some nice, different colored labels to also help break up the scene.

Those are just a few things off the top of my head.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-31-2009 05:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

a mushroom kingdom level would make my day :)

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-31-2009 05:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seriously. That would make for an awesome easter egg.

Like a Q2 secret level or Duke Nukem 3D secret level.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-01-2009 05:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^^ :up:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-02-2009 03:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BJA wrote:
A little scene for UT3. Everything, except for the water shader and fire particles is custom content.

Bigger screen:
http://www.bja-design.de/intothesun/bja_scene_big.jpg

And some of the props:
http://www.bja-design.de/intothesun/intothesun_03.jpg
http://www.bja-design.de/intothesun/intothesun_05.jpg

nice :up: tasty looking props too. however i'd question the choice of game engine for that visual style, even if you're just learning the SDK. looks more SP than MP, more orange box than UT3

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-02-2009 04:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Small update on the Beach Invasion update:

broken floor tiles make puppy sad :(

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-02-2009 04:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:
That shelve doesn't look too safe considering the bunker is going to get bombed by grenades, rocket launchers etc. One wallhit and it'll fall over. :p

please tell me you're joking

it's like every time o'dium posts a screen, everyone starts channelling their mother

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.