Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

diabolical besier hugger in disguise
PostPosted: 02-17-2007 03:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looking fancy indeed.
To me there is one visual flaw though, the rock texture at the height of the architectural geometry, in the second pic. The texture has vertical lines, this looks rather unnatural, especialy cause the rock texture is horizontaly orientated almost everywher else.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-18-2007 10:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kat wrote:
I never did it, honest... It's all donkeys work. I think those 'classical' textures were a set inition did that donkey ported over as well, they look surprisingly good in Q4 from the shots posted above.

I didn't think you had done it. I was merely alluding to your
dark alliance to make more cave-based maps..

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-18-2007 10:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GODLIKE wrote:
Kat wrote:
I never did it, honest... It's all donkeys work. I think those 'classical' textures were a set inition did that donkey ported over as well, they look surprisingly good in Q4 from the shots posted above.

I didn't think you had done it. I was merely alluding to your
dark alliance to make more cave-based maps..
muuhahaha.. the force is strong in this one (donkey)! hehe

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 02-21-2007 09:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I started working with these textures and models I made 2 years ago again.

I have a question regarding the fog and sky. The sky doesn't fog even though I made the fog brush not touch the sky brush. It's pretty strange because I used the same technique in another map, and with the same shader and then it worked. :confused:

As you can see, the sky is fogged here. Does anyone know why the sky isn't fogged in the first one? Is it something to do with using terrain? Maybe there's a better way of making a whole map fogged that I've missed?

ALMighty - Maps & Stuff

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 03-02-2007 09:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Attempting to come up with a solid looking future shotgun, attempt #1:

[lvlshot]http://kaz.quakedev.com/junk/shotgun_render_new.jpg[/lvlshot]

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-02-2007 10:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaz wrote:
Attempting to come up with a solid looking future shotgun, attempt #1:

[lvlshot]http://kaz.quakedev.com/junk/shotgun_render_new.jpg[/lvlshot]

Pistol grip is too straight down. Needs to be more angled back and tapered slightly.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-04-2007 04:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We started the alpha...

lol

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-04-2007 04:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

At this state it looks like a jump and run platform game :D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-04-2007 04:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

eh eh

my fear is that it would be a jump and run platform in the final...lol

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-04-2007 05:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Noticeably missing some walls... :D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-04-2007 05:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here is a map of the paths you can do!

So now you CLEARY understand everything!

MUAHAHAHAHAH!

2:22am I think I need to sleep!
:D

good night!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-04-2007 11:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seems like an excellent way to get some early feedback on layout and visibility into potential problems in terms of gameplay

i might go a step further once you get a bit further with it and fancy it up in photoshop. ie: use a layer for the geometry for each level, use a unique color for each level, and different types of paths for different types of travel

looks promising =)

blaze a blaze
blaze a blaze
PostPosted: 03-05-2007 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[lvlshot]http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5963/l4ctf2ik7.jpg[/lvlshot]

download & info

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 03-06-2007 10:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lukin that is one of the sexiest Q4CTF map I've ever seen. I love the architecture and the overall look and feel of this map.

I seriously hope you do more CTF mapping in the future :]

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-07-2007 12:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ALMighty, lovely colours in that.
Couple of more cavey bits from me:

Noted about the tex alignment issue on the rock. I have re-uvw mapped all the cave meshes. It was done at a rush for the TM contest and needed fixing. I do still have one area I am not happy with yet.

I really want to beta this (and be told the corridors are too tight:)), but I am awaiting approval from inition for what I've done to his texture set...I think he's probably in a mountain dew induced coma and wont wake up till mid-summer.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-07-2007 12:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We don't need a beta to tell you that the corridors are way too tight :D

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-07-2007 12:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hehe. Personally, I much prefer a tighter space to play in ;)

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 03-09-2007 05:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dnky wrote:
ALMighty, lovely colours in that.

Thanks! I means a lot! I think those plants makes a huge difference in your map, more of those I say! :)

Lukin, that looks really cool.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 03-10-2007 10:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[lvlshot]http://kaz.quakedev.com/junk/shotgun_skinWIP.jpg[/lvlshot]

Started skinning a few hours ago after finishing the oh-so-tedious unwrapping process. :)

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 03-17-2007 08:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[lvlshot]http://kaz.quakedev.com/junk/shotgun_ingame2.jpg[/lvlshot]

Can be improved, but I'm happy with it for the moment :)

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-23-2007 06:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had been planning a monochrome level for Q4. I liked the idea of doing a Film Noir style street scene. In the last MC speed map contest I played about with a similar idea. I am Working late tonight so had some time off in the day. Just enough time to remake a street for the level in Q4. In the Q3 version I used a dark green fog to offset with the black and grey textures. I liked the look so decided to go with it. A first in game render:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-23-2007 07:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ooh, looks nice! (other than the black sky cutting off the fog of course :) )

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-23-2007 07:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

TY. Yeah, stupid sky and fog thing.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-23-2007 07:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's gotta be a way around that sky thing...

Also, I'd desaturate the green a bit--looks a bit too radioactive right now, IMO.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-23-2007 08:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

make the skybox the same colour as the fog, i.e. desaturate the fog, and darken it a little

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-23-2007 09:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ah....good plan, along the same lines as the foghull, I hadn't thought of that.

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 03-23-2007 09:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dnky wrote:

I have the same problem in my map. What is foghull, will it make it work?

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-23-2007 10:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
make the skybox the same colour as the fog, i.e. desaturate the fog, and darken it a little

Yeah, that. :)
Or just have a nice greenish sky...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-23-2007 10:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ALMighty wrote:
dnky wrote:

I have the same problem in my map. What is foghull, will it make it work?

a foghull is just a normal cubemapped sky, only all the faces are monochrome (generally the same colour as the fog you want to use)

wviperw did a forest map with a foghull. here's the link:

http://wvw.planetquake.gamespy.com/maps/wvwq3dm7.html

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-24-2007 02:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks seremtan, logical and neat solution:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-24-2007 08:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lookin neat man.
I like the noir style a lot too :)

Im also happy to see a monochrome map :D I had suggested that as a MC map challenge theme but nothing really came of it.

Sky's lookin a lot better in that second shot.

PostPosted: 03-25-2007 12:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have been modeling for an application process for a school I'll hopefuly start attending after the next summer.

The request was to write an application, a resume, and to model a car with 1000 triangles at most accompanied with a texture map limited to 1024x1024 in size.

Image Image Image

^^ two renders and an editor shot.

Last edited by corsair on 03-26-2007 09:01 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 03-25-2007 07:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

corsair, you should convert that to Q3Rally. Looks neat! :)

PostPosted: 03-26-2007 08:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thats a neat idea, I'll look into that, thankyou 8D

FragaGeddon
FragaGeddon
PostPosted: 03-26-2007 09:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ALMighty wrote:
corsair, you should convert that to Q3Rally. Looks neat! :)

Does anybody actually play that mod?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.