Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 01-24-2007 08:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd rather wait for whatever syncerror has install for judging so what other mappers have done is up to them. I've chosen not to artifically raise my pimpness by releasing public beta tests :shrug:

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 01-24-2007 10:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maps devoid of ambient light is the future;)

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 01-25-2007 12:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kat, public betas are not only to, how you called it, "pimp the map", but mostly to help make your map better by looking at the map with fresh set of eyes. It's pretty much one of the stages level gotta go through, same as QA for commercial games. Unless of course you know some good Q4 players that tested your level privately. Then you're a smart mother, if you know what I mean. Although it's up to you man. Screenshots look good.

-Method

blaze a blaze
blaze a blaze
PostPosted: 01-25-2007 05:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kat wrote:
artifically raise my pimpness by releasing public beta tests

Yayks, that's kinda low.
I would say that releasing a beta (especially on sites like ESR) has more in common with jumping into the lion's den than with pimping.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 01-25-2007 06:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lukin wrote:
Kat wrote:
artifically raise my pimpness by releasing public beta tests

Yayks, that's kinda low.
I would say that releasing a beta (especially on sites like ESR) has more in common with jumping into the lion's den than with pimping.
Lukin, the bottom line is this;

Do what *you* want, I don't much care. If I choose to test my maps privately then I will, it's that simple. If you offer yours up for public testing then that's what you want to do.

How you choose to test your maps is entirely up to you, the "lions den" as you like to call it is nothing more than a *VERY SMALL* and disproportionate vocal section of the community that I personally have no interest in catering to. They are not the only people that play Quake 4 or indeed other games.

blaze a blaze
blaze a blaze
PostPosted: 01-25-2007 06:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't much care about what you do with your maps either, but what you had said was not about your choices only - it sounded like an opinion about releasing betas in general.

Also, I used the ESR example not to force you to post there anything but to point the fact, that showing your work to players sometimes has nothing to do with praise, popularity or whatever you thought about while you were writing about 'artifical raising of pimpness'.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 01-25-2007 06:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm afraid I have to agree with Lukin, hence I posted about your reply Kat.

People release betas to test the levels prior to finalizing them. But by posting only screenshots on various sites you actually only pimped it. So that kinda defeats your whole argument about pimping. Ya know what I mean pimpin'-pimpin'?

-Method

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 01-25-2007 07:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All these years and I've apparently been doing it wrong :shrug:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-25-2007 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think what Kat was *originally* trying to say is that for HIM, and HIM alone, it would be pointless to release a beta. This is because his priorities are not on competitive gameplay, he's got a lot of experience under his belt, and he has his own private beta testing team. Therefore the only reason he'd release a beta would be for pimping his map. I misconstrued this at first as well and thought he was making a comment on betas in general, but then realized he's just speaking for himself.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 01-25-2007 10:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you wviperw, that *is* what I was trying to say/meant. You have a second career in mediation to fall back on ;)

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 01-25-2007 12:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alright Kat. Your point is taken. Good luck with the map man.

-Method

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-02-2007 07:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nearly finished with this one

Working on a test map to work some stuff out atm (FPS is closer to 60 than 6 in this shot, damn screensnap caught a bad 'flop').

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-03-2007 02:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Impressive shot kat!

:)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-03-2007 05:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anpohabas wrote:
deleted spam

Is there something concerning Tom Cruise?

:icon29:

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 02-03-2007 11:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q4s most difficult feature is its lighting, and yet again Kat you demonstrate that it is also its most powerful feature.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 02-03-2007 04:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I missed the deadline for the CMP contest but I still intend to finish at least this one q4 map.

[lvlshot]http://kaz.quakedev.com/junk/kaz4dm1_beta1.jpg[/lvlshot]

blaze a blaze
blaze a blaze
PostPosted: 02-03-2007 05:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was about to ask about this map Kaz. Looks uber cool!
Also, I've checked 'cushion' material today and noticed that it doesn't turn off footsteps sounds. So you can, without a hesitaion, use it for removing falling damage issues from your map.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 02-03-2007 06:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah! I'll definetly make a note to do that. Thanks :D

diabolical besier hugger in disguise
PostPosted: 02-05-2007 12:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

messed around with something q1'ish in q4 for a bit;

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 02-05-2007 01:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Stylish! You wouldn't happen to have a few more screenies?

Raven
Raven
PostPosted: 02-05-2007 02:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very cool Corsair! I am glad to see people melding the moody Quake1 style into the new tech.!

Ravensoft
Personal Site

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 02-05-2007 07:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Now that I like. :drool:

PostPosted: 02-08-2007 12:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

glad you like it, it's still an early shot though, so I hardly have anything else than the pic shows :]

blaze a blaze
blaze a blaze
PostPosted: 02-14-2007 07:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Last edited by AEon on 01-18-2010 09:57 AM, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Refreshed lvlshot code of images.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-14-2007 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lukin wrote:
[lvlshot]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/2337/shot00099rl2.jpg[/lvlshot]

I love this map!
The green tone looks so cool!
:D

searching for the download...

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 02-14-2007 02:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hehe, Lukin remembers the rule that higher FOV makes map 30% cooler.

-Method

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-14-2007 02:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

blaze a blaze
blaze a blaze
PostPosted: 02-14-2007 03:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh, that's actually a fov value I use, I always lower it for taking screenshots... Today I just forgot about it.
The map is available for download here: http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1331576
but it's in a horrible state (no ammo boxes, broken jumppad, it even crashes some servers :P). Better wait one day for a fixed version.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-14-2007 11:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Method wrote:

-Method
30% less phatt!! :icon25:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-15-2007 12:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kat wrote:
Method wrote:

-Method
30% less phatt!! :icon25:

to download or not to download...that's the question! :drool:

Thank you!
:D

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 02-16-2007 01:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have been working on a conversion of my Q3 Turtle Map entry for Q4. The entire thing is scaled up by 50%. It was tight in Q3, and with Q4 scale it was far too small. So far I am pretty happy with the look and feel. Some of the terrain sections need work, and there are plenty of rough edges generally that need smoothing out.
I should mention, that the map is not portaled as of yet. Seeing as I am running in high mode I am more than happy with 60 odd fps at the moment.
Might actually be the first non-contest Q4 map I am happy enough to finish:)

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-16-2007 10:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ooo look, caves! You've done a nice job on the lighting. Really like shot one ;o)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-17-2007 12:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In fact, it looks a lot like Kat's Q4 maps.. Hmmn.. :paranoid:

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 02-17-2007 01:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Share and share alike:)

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-17-2007 01:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GODLIKE wrote:
In fact, it looks a lot like Kat's Q4 maps.. Hmmn.. :paranoid:
I never did it, honest... It's all donkeys work. I think those 'classical' textures were a set inition did that donkey ported over as well, they look surprisingly good in Q4 from the shots posted above.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.