Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-19-2007 05:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GF 6800 ? That's not low-end ;)

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 01-19-2007 07:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hemostick wrote:

Indeed! Remember me posting that I'd get myself new hardware soon? That's the card I bought! :icon28:

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 01-19-2007 07:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hemostick wrote:
High maintenance 'Girl Friend'?! I didn't know they had model numbers these days. :icon25:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 01-19-2007 07:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Little update, gotta change the lower floor to something more interesting now.

[lvlshot]http://www.quake2evolved.com/odium/odq4dm1_3.jpg[/lvlshot]

[lvlshot]http://www.quake2evolved.com/odium/odq4dm1_4.jpg[/lvlshot]

[lvlshot]http://www.quake2evolved.com/odium/odq4dm1_5.jpg[/lvlshot]

Also does Quake 4 have patch stitching by default? some of my surfaces refuse to stich...?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-19-2007 08:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium: There is too harsh of a transition to the white sky. I think it'd look better if you put some fog up up there similar to what Lukin did to blend it. Also, I think getting better lights would help a lot. I can't help but look at them, especially the ones on the doorways and trim near the top, and think that I'm seeing the missing texture black/white checker pattern.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 01-19-2007 08:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doorways I'm gonna change anyway :p

The sky is a tough one, because, well, thats what sky looks like when it snows!

As for the lights, I think they are fine (apart from the doorways)...?

diabolical besier hugger in disguise
diabolical besier hugger in disguise
PostPosted: 01-19-2007 09:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I disagree with wviperw, I'd keep this kind of sky. I think the visual 'problem' if I may call it so, are the rocks (texture/contrast of shadow) and the ground of the jumppad. The rest looks nicely dressed in textures and neatly filtered by the fogish snow effect, perhaps some elements seem to be repeated too much, but thats okay I guess.
Also, I personaly dislike the way you surrounded the near-jumppad architecture with rocks at its base, all the way tru to the top. I'm not sure what civilisation has created building, but most civs usualy don't see mountains growing over their structures. I think it's better to connect the jumppad thingy with the both (symetrical?) sides. If you want to keep the rough element into the map, you could do something interesting with the lower floor (as you said you wanted to do anyway). Perhaps make this floor of rough rock too, a few large stone rocks (not too many) in the corners or places that aren't in the players path, but may just yet provide some sneaky trickjump. And keep the surface flat where people have to walk, else the movement will suck.

Bleh, hope you don't mind the critique, for you might not've intended the post to recieve such.. just felt saying it :]

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 01-19-2007 10:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I was thinking the same damn thing about the rocks :p Im gonna remove those at theb ase, and then just have them up top, with snow above the rocks themselves. That will look more natural.

As for the floor, I was planning on breaking it up (with a bit of Ice, and some groves where people would walk)

And for the sky, well, thats a different story. I do actualy havea sligth scrolling effect but you cant see it :( So i may remove it... Bloody fog!

[lvlshot]http://www.quake2evolved.com/odium/odq4dm1_6.jpg[/lvlshot]

[lvlshot]http://www.quake2evolved.com/odium/odq4dm1_7.jpg[/lvlshot]

EDIT: Updated with a new rock:

[lvlshot]http://www.quake2evolved.com/odium/odq4dm1_8.jpg[/lvlshot]

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 01-19-2007 11:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cant allow my reputation for prolific map production fall to somebody else; damn it if other folks are submiting more than one map, so can I.

Cave section from a Q4 gothic level:
http://www.leveldk.co.uk/idcomp/comp2.jpg

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 01-19-2007 03:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

map looks good o'dium
door arches look familiar :)

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 01-20-2007 12:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know that My girl 6800 is not a low end card. I just said that the slightly above card runs the level at 60 FPS.

Shit, you guys got me all worked up about the performance now. I think I'll release the beta this weekend and then work on optimization.

-Method

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 01-20-2007 01:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOMEBODY KINDLY INFORM ME AS TO WHY MY PATCHES ARE NOT STICHING TOGETHER. IT CAN BE SEEN ON THE LATEST PICS KTHX :p

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 01-20-2007 02:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@ O'dium, have you set subdivisions? Concentric patch trims often dont fit but by setting subdivision this can be remedied. Similer to thing happened in Q3 were LOD caused splits in curved patches.

blaze a blaze
blaze a blaze
PostPosted: 01-20-2007 03:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Sorry Lukin :ninja: A good 30mins work, tryin to get a texture set/theme going... Wanted something to keep me busy (Yes i know i never finish anything lol)

[lvlshot]http://www.quake2evolved.com/odium/odq4dm1_1.jpg[/lvlshot]

Lawsuit coming! :icon34: :p

o'dium wrote:
First of all...

1) The fogging at the top, nice touch to make it look bloomed. However, rotate your fog brush. ATM, you have the fog blend facing up, when it should be down. rotate it along the one axis so its the right way around and you will have a nicer blend ;)

The fog brush is rotated - look at this broken pillar and you'll notice that it work ok there. It looks worse on the wall because of the giant flare I have put under a sky, which looks cool from the right angle, but sucks from any other... I believe I've found a way to get rid of this side effect but have not tested it yet (because I spent whole yesterday on fixing a water sounds on "Spiral" :P).

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 01-20-2007 10:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ahh i see wht you did there.

I was messing with snow and how it works in levels myself, and I found that instead of fogging the upper level, if i just used a snow texture with a slight curve around my upper brushes, it gives quite a nice effect and feel to the upper areas. Looks kinda like what snow does in nature...

I would show you but my host FTP is down for some odd reason...

Ill edit this post when its back up.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-21-2007 10:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just wanted to say that there are a lot of stellar maps in progress that have been posted around here lately! :)

keep it up everyone!

blaze a blaze
blaze a blaze
PostPosted: 01-22-2007 02:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just read it on ESR: servers with "Ravage", "Spiral" and "City Heat" betas:

}WTF{ FTW pw=wtf Q4CMP Beta Maps
8.9.9.108:28004
Chicago

Q4MAX 0.77a Duel, beta maps.
195.238.75.21:28004
pass: creampie
Netherlands

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 01-23-2007 07:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

After some very useful beta testing (many thanks eb for setting up the server for us) my entries for the Q4 CMP contest have almost reached a state of completion.
Huge thanks to all those that tested the levels.
My entries are both very different in style, but represent different aspects of elements I like to see:

edit// I should add, ignore the FPS, I was running the editor in the back ground...both levels run between 40 to 60 FPS on my mid range system.

For a little more info pertaining to each level please take a look HERE

Many thanks, best of luck to all mappers and their entries. :)

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 01-23-2007 08:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ooo look, Gothic! :p Actually good to see something alternative to tech/base ;o)

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-23-2007 09:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thought that was Q3 the first couple times I saw those shots. :)

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-23-2007 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mmmm...I really dig the style in the first shot. tasty!

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 01-23-2007 11:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you. The map that the first shot comes from is Q3esque for sure, but with Q4 over tones. I like that style just as I like the gothic style, for an amateur that's always a good place to begin:)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-23-2007 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

7fps? :confused:

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 01-23-2007 01:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Editor running in back ground on an aging system. Running on high with an xp 2500, gf5600 and 1 gig ram the entire map gets 40-60 FPS. I knew I should have turned FPS off:)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-23-2007 02:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It very much looks like a GeoComp map, I love that style very much.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-23-2007 07:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dnky wrote:
Editor running in back ground on an aging system. Running on high with an xp 2500, gf5600 and 1 gig ram the entire map gets 40-60 FPS. I knew I should have turned FPS off:)

hehe "aging". I only have 384 mb of ram on this computer. Nvidia GeForce FX 5200. athlon xp 2400 cpu.

Lowest settings on Q4 gets me 10 fps on the demo mp map. :tear:

Back on the topic of the shots, I dig the first shot. Very neat style. GeoComp, like spookmineer said, does come to mind when looking at this map :)

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-23-2007 07:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Played with the new sculpting tool in Blender for the first time today.

5 minute model from a cube after spending around 20 minutes figuring out how to use the tool :P

[lvlshot]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/caldiar/sculpt_man_2.png[/lvlshot]

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 01-24-2007 04:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My CMP entry. A little bit more info here.

SCREENS
Taken @ 800x600/high detail on an AMD 3400+ (64bit) Sempron/ATI X1600 512MB GFX. FPS captured reflects the real FPS pretty much.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 01-24-2007 06:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow, stunning lighting! I think the FPS shows how lighting can be used well and not impact in a negative way upon the game's performance.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-24-2007 06:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, when anyone ever complains about D3/Q4 Engine being overly dark, I just point to Kat's general direction.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-24-2007 07:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks tasty Kat!

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 01-24-2007 07:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh by the way... no ambinet lights used at all ;)

blaze a blaze
blaze a blaze
PostPosted: 01-24-2007 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks cool, but where are download links? Come on Kat and dnky, I see no reason not to post them.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 01-24-2007 08:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The reason would be, oh dear.. the map has already been submitted! ;)

blaze a blaze
blaze a blaze
PostPosted: 01-24-2007 08:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there a rule that you can not show the map you have submitted? That would be weird, since you can submit even the maps that were released as a final months ago and soon all of the maps will be released to be judged by the community.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.