Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        patches warp/stretch textures

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: patches warp/stretch textures

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-10-2014 08:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm sure this has been discussed before, but i did a quick search and couldn't find any posts. when i make dome-shaped structures out of bevel patches my textures always get warped, like above. when i try cycling through all the texturing options, they are all warped in different ways. does anyone know how to solve this? a step-by-step answer would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
pat

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 11-10-2014 09:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

At world origin (0,0,0) place a 128X128 brush(128X128X8) and place texture/shader on it w/axial in surf prop. Then lay patch out above brush like you would uv a mesh then cap the bezier until it matches brush texture, then bend it however you want too!
--edit as for your pic you might want to use 8 seperate 3X3 patches

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 09:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was going to suggest ase the geometry. Then re UV the texture in Blender, or what ever modelling app you use.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-17-2014 08:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In good old Q3Radiant202 there is a (patch) texture tool plugin:

You can set the vertices exactly by pixel. And/or clone textures from a patch onto another.

If you don't have this great plugin, you can do it this way:

1 create a flat version of a single side of your dome
2 set texture as cap (maybe hit CTRL+SHIFT+N until the right projection direction appears)
3 bend your patch
4 make a copy and rotate your patch by 45°
5 in vertices mode, hit CTRL+G to snap vertices back to grid
6 rearrange your vertices

Last edited by AEon on 11-17-2014 09:27 AM, edited 1 time in total.Reason: lvlshot'ed the images

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-10-2014 12:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks guys!

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 12-16-2014 02:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That bezier patch mesh UV map adjustment tool was so useful, and unfortunately didn't return in later variations of Radiant. :(
Need better tool support for such patch meshes... hmpf.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-17-2014 12:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree. I did not ever work with q3radiant, but this tool seems to be useful

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.