Coroded Steel  0%  [ 0 ]
Two Scrapyards  0%  [ 0 ]
The Rust  100%  [ 1 ]
Any other :)  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1
Topic Starter Topic: Map name inspiration needed

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-11-2013 02:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I would take the creative jacket on again with the MSG mapping competition #5 coming up. I've downloaded the Industrial texturepack from Sock's websites as textures to be used in the map, but now need to get inspiration for the map name. There are few to go around in the poll, but you can post more in this thread. Theme is industrial, tech and a bit futuristic (using fluorescent tubes would add a bit futuristic feel to the level).

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-11-2013 03:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You should first focus more on building a solid alpha layout, then worry about names and themes later. Otherwise you'll just be building a map to fit a theme rather than gameplay.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-11-2013 04:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I should take a note on both, but a map with no name just doesn't exist. Map must have a name even on very start, then wondering about the map name change would help to make interesting release. Also the map must have a theme to be made into as well as the layout would fit the gameplay physics and ideas. Different layout is for CTF as well as for a DM map. First layout would be basic, with minimum of details, but also must be interesting to look. Some mappers start with classic textures found in clear game, but some adds their textures to the level at very start. This would help to decide what theme may fit the map layout. My attempts for first layout with no theme or just with some theme using default quake3 textures failed, so I decided to try another way. Simply ask for theme inspiration such as map name... Then start modelling the layout with predefined textureset and show result for public and play. If the community finds some issues with the map (layout is wrong; textureset doesn't fit the layout, theme; etc...), they would post their suggestions for map improveal to the map topic.

As to the mapping competition: My goal is to show my ideas in level designing, not to win some cash or any other price...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-11-2013 04:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

czgdm1-alpha

The only name you need right now.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-11-2013 04:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your problem is that you get caught up in the details without having done the grunt of the work. Come up with something solid first and then start pondering a name for it.

You've posted about so many ideas here on Q3W, but never have actually taken up on any of those ideas and built a complete map out of it.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-11-2013 05:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
czgdm1-alpha

The only name you need right now.
:olo: Only few things to mention:
  • I use czq3gametype#_version format now
  • I'm preparing to create a CTF level :sly:
For this case the map name would be czq3ctf1_a1

Eraser wrote:
Your problem is that you get caught up in the details without having done the grunt of the work. Come up with something solid first and then start pondering a name for it.

You've posted about so many ideas here on Q3W, but never have actually taken up on any of those ideas and built a complete map out of it.
So your recommendation is to make a map first and then wonder about map names... Well, so wait for competition start :sly:

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-11-2013 11:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Many authors have managed to think about map name. Tell me why I shouldn't...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 12:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wtf CZghost, what we're trying to say is that spending all this effort in finding a map name now could also be spent actually designing and building the map. Especially with your track record, it might actually all be for naught. Tell me, do you have any designs for this "industrial, tech and a bit futuristic" map? Have you built anything in Radiant yet? Worry about that first. What good is a map name if you don't have a map to go with the name? Don't worry about the name, that will most likely come to you once you're well under way building the map anyway.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 02:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wait for competition start, Eraser. If I need to make the map first, then we must all wait for the competiton start date...
So read the first sestence
I wrote:
I would take the creative jacket on again with the MSG mapping competition #5 coming up.

Rules clearly say no mapping in Radiant or map editor before the comp starts... Competition starts in 9th June, which gives me enough time to think about layout, theme and map name... Early announce just gives that feature for mappers as they have to think about joining the competition and how the map should look and work...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 03:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok sure my czech friend, do as you please, whatever. Just don't let the name dictate the design because that's the trap you're bound to fall for now, especially with names like 'two scrapyards', because that's kind of descriptive of what the map should look like.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 04:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
especially with names like 'two scrapyards'.
That's the reason of the poll, I have six ideas about map name, but can't choose one without know of what name you would like... Maybe some names won't have any votes, it's on your own to choose a name...

So start voting, I'd see what name you like. I like the Rust the most, as it's more like abstract name, than decribtive...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 05:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jesus fucking Christ on a pogo stick! You're so fixated on the naming of your map that you completely forget about the actual map itself. That's all you've got - a name. Who cares what Iceman did, instead go take a look at how the mappers who earned the top 3 spots last year (cityy, Despair, bst) started out - none of them gave any fancy map names or themes at the beginning.

Tell us what happened last time?
http://maverickservers.com/forums/viewt ... 9&start=15
I'll tell you: you spent 5 whole weeks fapping with that 'nuclear powerplant' concept stuck in your head, fiddling with making light fixtures, 'danger zones' and extraneous bot clips on staircases and that was before you even had half the map boxed out. And then suddenly you realized 'oh shit, I'm not getting those 5 wasted weeks back' and quit the competition.

That's why you should primarily focus on what's important - the layout. Everything else will come together naturally afterwards. Sure, you might be joining the competition purely for the enjoyment of mapping but what's the point when you get nowhere with your ideas?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 06:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay, I have two options:
  • Just do something nevertheless there's a competition coming up, just skip joining and make myself
  • Wait for near date of competition start to decide of joning or not (busy may corrupt my plans) and while waiting just try some layout ideas (on the paper though)
If I forgotten something, let me know...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 06:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Start thinking about what makes a good layout and gameplay. Do some research, look at some really good map layouts and figure out what makes them good.

Reading:
wviperw's Competitive Design Guide
Lunaran on Level Architecture

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 06:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How about giving up on mapping altogether?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 06:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's not cool. I don't think you should dissuade anyone from mapping. Even if he never finishes anything, he can still gain something if he enjoys tinkering with things. I think CZghost is just young (he's 16) and inexperienced, having not learned many of life's lessons about time management and focus. What do you learn from if not by your mistakes?

CZghost, there's nothing in the rules to stop you from building a bunch of small test maps to experiment with making a good layout. Just force yourself to build a very basic layout with maybe under 50 brushes on a large grid size, put a little thought about item placement and see what you get. Don't worry about how it looks. Don't worry about textures or anything else. You should be able to *FINISH* it in 2 days at most. When done, think about how you could have made it better, then make a new one from scratch.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 06:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@CZghost:Seriously though dude, don't bother with the MSG competition. The skill level of many of the contestants (most I guess) is well above what you and I both can do. Why tie yourself up to some competition you have no hopes of winning when you could be busy creating your own map right now at this very moment if it's the competition that keeps you from doing any actual work.

You know, my "Survival" map has been in the making for nearly a year as well (I actually posted a batch of screenshots of the map with the layout and texturing largely finished in June 2012,and only now is it nearing release), but at least I'm actually getting stuff done.

I've said this countless of times to you already, and it seems I'm wasting my breath on you, but you should try to make a small, simple map and get it done. No huge epic stuff and don't try to do something revolutionary, just get something done and out there. My ermap4 level was built with the same attitude. It uses stock Q3 textures, offers nothing really new and can basically be considered a portfolio filler. But it's finished and done and out there. People can play it if they want and I had tremendous fun building it.

Getting things done gets you credit, and if people see you actually get things done, they're more likely to help you. Right now, people won't help you because they think their help (and precious time) is lost on you anyway.

That's the reason why people are so negative towards your poll. I bet if it was cityy asking the exact same question, people would be more willing to help, possibly even be enthusiastic. And that's because they know cityy builds absolutely amazing stuff (you can stick that feather in your butt, cityy ;) )

So, build something nice, show it to us, and we'll help you decide on a name.

Last edited by Eraser on 05-12-2013 06:40 AM, edited 4 times in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 06:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
That's not cool. I don't think you should dissuade anyone from mapping. Even if he never finishes anything, he can still gain something if he enjoys tinkering with things. I think CZghost is just young (he's 16) and inexperienced, having not learned many of life's lessons about time management and focus. What do you learn from if not by your mistakes?

Problem is that CZghost doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. Sure, everyone is young and inexperienced at some point (although 16 is not that young), but no one's learning from continually posting grand ideas on an internet forum and never actually following through on any of them. I wish he was tinkering around with stuff. The piles of never-finished .map files I've generated over the years is huge, but each of them was a step forward and usually discarded because my standards for quality kept increasing and the map I'd work on just didn't meet that standard anymore. And as a sidenote, I never posted on a forum about them.

The thing that bothers me is that he keeps coming with new ideas and expects people to assist him with that without showing any dedication towards the project himself. That is a counter-productive attitude that won't get you anywhere, and thats what I'm trying to explain.

Suggesting him to quit mapping was unfair perhaps, but meant in jest. I hope my followup post made that clear.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 07:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have read bunch of lines of your comments and have decided to:
  • Try the competition, if I can make something small, first with default quake 3 texturing and with some name of map as a holdplacer, in desired time
  • Think about possibly ways to improve my work (layout, item placement, texturing, theme, etc)
  • Start with alpha version (very early version with little of theme), with some custom textures at alpha end

I would take your critism as constructive and I could take plenty of notes from it to build solid small map from a scratch...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 11:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shit's gettin' serious...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 06:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Abandoned Factory

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-18-2013 02:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm so excited about your work this year...

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-18-2013 11:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Noruen:
If it was for me, I don't know I even parcitipate in competition. Will see if school allows me to join... If not, who should receive that message?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-19-2013 03:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well now it is even more funny than before. "I don't know if I will participate, but thank god I have a name...". REALLLY you should concentrate on more important things in map building.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-19-2013 03:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have built a layout schratch in the radiant and looks good. Trasfered it on paper and only waiting if school allows me parcitipate in competition... Only for know: It's a CTF symmetrical map with two ways into each base connecting through lower corridor and upper corridor with base and central area... There's also sniper bridge in central area to take opponent with flag down...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-19-2013 05:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.