Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        jdm2 by Dervish (AKA: "First" Quake mapping attempt)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: jdm2 by Dervish (AKA: "First" Quake mapping attempt)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-19-2013 02:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*Edit* Fourth post is start of map talk.

So I'm starting work on my first kinda serious mapping project. Thanks to cityy I'm aiming into quake live with this. I want to put up my map so I can get some feedback from you guys but first I need some knowledge on making a pk3 because I'm fairly certain you don't want to deal with the loose files. So if someone can link me a good tutorial I'll continue the post on this thread and hopefully get some feedback. Thanks!

Last edited by dervish on 03-20-2013 01:46 AM, edited 2 times in total.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 03-19-2013 02:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, I outlined the process in this post: http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showthre ... post256942
Good luck! If you got any questions feel free to ask.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-19-2013 04:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks cityy, I'll probably have time to get it all ready later tonight and let whomever take a crack at it.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-19-2013 09:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

jdm2 by Dervish

Quick Summary:
So I've been working on this a few days and all of my main focus has been to create a duel/1-4 player map that wasn't constrained with tight hallways and some good vertical play. At this point in time I'm looking for feedback on pretty much basic map layout... and item placement to a lesser extent... Remember I'm pretty damn new at this, so let me have all that criticism and whether or not it's total crap! haha, enjoy. Keep in mind this is being developed for Quake Live.

Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?5w2j0s3ih78dui3

Note:
I'm not sure if it affects others :confused: but its using all basic Quake Live textures, so I didn't stick them in the PK3 assuming that users already have them in their directory. If not, I don't think it will be too much of an issue seeing as I haven't reached the latter texturing phase of creating a map.

Last edited by cityy on 03-20-2013 04:19 AM, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Those colors really hurt. :)

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 03-20-2013 05:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just had a good 30 minutes run on the map and here is my conclusions:
- looks like a very decent first attempt for making a duel map, I like the geometry and the item setup in general
- RG might be very difficult to get a hold of for the out of control player because there is only one connection to the top level of the map (RA jumppad) which is also very easy to keep an eye on for the in control player and because there is a long line of sight from the high YA to RG allowing the in control player to potentially do damage on the out of control player trying to get the rail from the other side of the map
- try to create some more vertical connections, dont rely only on jumppads - you can also use teleporters or stairs -- especially the LG room needs an upwards connection
- MH low level is a dead end because there is no upwards connection here either. The back part of the MH room is wasted on the low level because players never have a reason to go there
- you might want to make some space between the MH and the RA room to make that direct low connection a bit longer and prevent the line of sight from low RA to MH (something like the furious heights plasma gun corridor between RA and MH room maybe, it is the shortest connection between MH and red but also the most vulnerable as the corridor is long and tight which makes you an easy target for rockets)
- I think you should remove on set of shards, preferably the one in the MH room as that will most likely be a safe pickup for the in control player
- clip the grates at the high YA :)

Hope this helps, looking forward to the next version!

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-20-2013 09:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I respect the time you put into helping out. I'm going to spend the next few days(when I find free time) to tackle some of those rough edges. All of your advice is a pretty sound outlook so I'm probably going to use most of it. Thanks!

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 03-22-2013 07:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

By the way, I think you should also get your map posted on the QL Mapping Forum for some additional feedback. :)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-22-2013 06:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

good call! I'll look into it after work :)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 04-02-2013 01:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I attempted to add an .aas file and it didn't seem to work... I tried fixing leaks with my amateur knowledge and was still unsuccessful... here's the log if it helps anyone help me with my problem!

---
BSPC version 2.1h, Oct 7 2012 15:47:47
bsp2aas: C:\Users\Jon\Desktop\QLMapping\WolfCam\wolfcamql9.9\baseq3\maps\jdm2.bsp to C:\Users\Jon\Desktop\QLMapping\WolfCam\wolfcamql9.9\baseq3\maps\jdm2.aas
-- Q3_LoadMapFromBSP --
Loading map from C:\Users\Jon\Desktop\QLMapping\WolfCam\wolfcamql9.9\baseq3\maps\jdm2.bsp...
900 triangles
0 patch tris
creating planar surface planes...
searching visible brush sides...
0 brush sides84 brush sides textured out of 865
-------- Brush CSG ---------
255 original brushes
255 output brushes
-------- Brush BSP ---------
255 brushes
160 visible faces
0 nonvisible faces
1636 total sides
Win32 multi-threading
1 threads max
depth first bsp building
241 splits
372 KB of peak total bsp memory
BSP tree created in 0 seconds
------- Prune Nodes --------
240 pruned nodes
---- Node Portalization ----
1 nodes portalized
0 tiny portals
0 KB of portal memory
164 KB of winding memory
------ FloodEntities -------
WARNING: no entities inside
**** leaked ****

---

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 04-02-2013 01:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm looking at this blind but if I found that there's a leak in my level, I would load the point file, filter out the detail brushes if there is any and follow the line from outside.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-02-2013 07:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the compiler won't create a .aas file if there's a leak.

Focus on fixing the leaks first. For that, I'd recommend ensuring "Snap to Grid" is enabled.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-02-2013 12:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Besides a physical leak with a brush that doesn't seal the playable space from the void, there are a few other things to check that may also cause leaks:

• Patches without sealing structural caulk brushes behind them used as the hull of your map.
  • Tiny physical leaks if objects are not snapping to grid, or objects created with CSG_subtract or hollow.
  • If your map has no spawn points.
  • Shaders with surfaceparm nonsolid used on the hull of the map.
  • Entities with origins buried in structural walls (model origin points, for instance).

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 04-02-2013 08:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't chalked any brushes and always had snapped grid on, I'll get to work on caulking now lol

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 04-03-2013 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Will duplicate planes affect this?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-03-2013 04:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very possibly. Duplicate planes are often causes of numerous different types of problems.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-04-2013 12:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually, that depends. A duplicate plane error in the map compile stage is a problem. GTK 1.5 actively prevents the creation of bad brushes. That is one of its best features imo.
BSPC spits out all sorts of error or warning messages though, duplicate plane messages here, to quote ydnar, can be safely ignored.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.