Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Aty3DM1v2

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Aty3DM1v2

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-21-2011 07:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is my first attempt at mapping. I've spent the last 2 years or so re-working it.
Its been completely retextured (Original textures were from Unreal Tournament so
I never released the map). Did alot of caulking and rearranging things. Anyway I was
having some technical difficulties with some of the plant models(Obsidian would
recognize them)not wanting to work . I'm pretty sure it was a problem with having 2
versions of the same plants in my models directory. I need for some people to give it
a go. Everything appears to be working fine in my test install of Q3 but you never
know I could be hallucinating :) .

dl link - See newest post

Last edited by kaustic on 01-21-2013 10:00 AM, edited 2 times in total.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-21-2011 07:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see you added the link, was wondering where it was. A small screenshot would be nice too.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-21-2011 07:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ya I clicked submit and realized I forgot the link :D .
This is the level shot in the pk3.
Edit: Also would like to note- At the moment the trigger transport
brushes are too far back, I'm going to correct that so players
dont hang up on the frame trying to jump into them. I also
noticed that I didnt put the pillar bases back in when I re-
constructed them in the pool area (Duhhhhhhhhh).

Attachments:
Aty3dm1v2_1.jpg
Aty3dm1v2_1.jpg [ 100.03 KB | Viewed 515 times ]

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-22-2011 07:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey it's looking very nice :p all those models and details together with textures and lighting.
Cute little statues, look somehow funny x)
Good work so far !

Also noticed that thing about triggers for teleports -good idea about adjusting them.
Would be interesting to test it with some human players, but for the first impression it doesn't feel like the layout would provide some fast action. But that's hard to tell from just running around for a while. However for 1v1 play might be too big, ffa and tdm seems to be more fitting modes.
And, is there some secret in the map? I think for such style map it could be a nice touch to put some secret area as a little surprise for players :p , maybe only for ffa mode though, not for tdm.

I had a little problem with running the map. For some reason the map wouldn't appear anywhere in the skirmish menu, until I removed 'single' from gametypes in the .arena file.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-22-2011 09:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Somewhere down the road I think someone told me also about the arena file.I must have forgotten.
I'll make a new one without the single player option. Its funny you mention secret areas. The large
outside area with the large pillars used to be somewhat of a secret area. It used to be only accessable
by transporter and was a treasure trove of items and weapons. I decided it was too much of a dead
end and moved it to where it is now. I hadnt thought of putting in a real secret area though. There are
things you have to look for/work harder to get. For instance the Red Armor, Mega Health are over the
wall in the water in the same area I was just mentioning.Also in the same room over top of the entrance
is where the Quad Damage is and you must Rocket jump to get there(or if playing InstaUnlagged Rail
jump).

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-28-2011 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does anyone have an idea why(after I made a few changes and compiled the map) when I
try to do the bspc it crashes during the reachability calculation at 74%.
What I did to the map is:
Added base brushes(and clips)to the bottom of the pillars by the pool.
Adjusted the trigger teleport brushes so you dont hang up on the teleporter anymore.
Fixed the Arena file.
Replaced all the nodraw texture with caulk,with the exception of water brush vertices that meet.(in
my early mapping days I was using nodraw for the unseen brushfaces on interior geometry and I just
hadnt changed it to caulk until the other day when it finaly occured to me to do it).

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-28-2011 06:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you using detail brushes at all?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-29-2011 07:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If its not sealing the void or a patch its detail. I did find 2 water brush faces that were caulk
that were facing a wall.I may have clipped the brushs or had nodraw on them.I compiled the
map and run bspc and it managed to finish this time.Dont know if that was the problem or
not. It seems kinda wierd that bspc would crash because of caulk on brushes with water
applied to them. :smirk:

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 12-14-2012 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ya I know its been a while. Made some changes- Did some clipping work.
Moved the railgun,mega health,red armor.
Added a new passage

Heres a link to my Flickr Photostream. Pages 3 and 4 are of this map. They are older shots
and some things have change but for the most part theyre accurate.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaustic/page3/

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 10:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok ,this is it for this map.
Replaced the stairs in the Plasma gun area.
Found a couple of small brushes I didnt make Detail and fixed that.
I'm calling this one done. I've been messing with it forever it seems like.
D/L for Final aty3dm1v2 - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3h6fmcxqzm4x438

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.