Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Starting new mapping project for Team Arena

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Starting new mapping project for Team Arena

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 01-15-2013 08:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I'm starting new mapping project, the terrain level based on Distant Screams by ID Software. I have named it Distant Screams II: Frozen Heroes and had in mind it may be some kind of free continous of basic terrain levels found in missionpack base installation... Have made terrain shape the same as mpterra2 in EasyGen terrain mapper... The layout may be different, of course... I have a dream to finish it within winter and spring, but have realised it's almost impossible when I am alone to do that. I want to tell I'm also finding someone to be compared in the level creating and you can trust me I will write your name to the authorship. This time it's only by CZghost, but it may be changed if someone replies positively...

Fantasy is your rule as primary, you can make everything to the level compared to it's theme (it may be winter level, just as original Distant Screams). I will be pleased if it will be in a prefab method (just a brushmodel to be imported in map), but you can also make the level's draft as well as I will send you shared folder with source file in my Dropbox. Copy it in your Quake3/missionpack/maps directory. If you choose the second method, the draft, please, make only layout which I will be based on. You can add few items that will be probably moved a bit due to the details included later...
ID Software has used caulked brushes within the terrain shape to block some vis in the original level as well. It may strongly help in render... We/I can inspire our/my level by this feature to have r_speeds improved.

As to the textures, I decided to use original textures located in missionpack pk3's, but some custom are welcome as well. I can also make some PhotoShop drafts to be used, saved as PSD files. If you own PhotoShop, you can open these drafts and make some clever textures to be used. I will create a directory structure if needed. PSD files are able to open in GIMP as well, but effects and blending used in drafts won't work anyway. You can temporarily download trial version of PhotoShop and if you have enough money, also buy a serial number if you decide to use PS in your next projects, to open drafts properly...

If you have anything to say publicly, use this thread. If you want to make it private, PM me or write an email to marPolda [atSign] gmail [dotSign] com
The only really wanted rule is owning of Team Arena copy...

I wish you a good day and see you on the mapping table :sly:

//EDIT: The link to the Dropbox shared folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dq1bbkbn5s9en4c/OlVcQK5AB-
Please write me if you want to be the second author...

As said, the duo works effectively than one :)

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 01-15-2013 08:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why not make a level for QL?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 01-15-2013 09:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have realised the ZeroRadiant compiler doesn't take a care on common shaders on QuakeLive mapping environment and wolfcam displays missing textures... If you want to play your level in wolfcam, you must use console... I don't want to make level for Quake Live now. Maybe later...
Anyway, great idea cityy...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-16-2013 04:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZGhost, you really should try your hand at some smaller, less ambitious projects. You've posted about so many ideas, yet never do they come to fruition. And the only map I know you have released is a CTF conversion of q3dm17.

You talk about designing a terrain map now. I understand that sounds cool, but that involves relatively complex techniques and is, I think, pretty time consuming. Maybe you should just try to create a small 1v1 or FFA map but make sure that despite it's size, it looks and plays absolutely fantastic.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-16-2013 07:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have to say I agree with Eraser. I looked at this because I want to create something and I've just been too busy. But, man, this way of doing terrain is so so old.
No body does metashader any more.
On top of that, the map itself is so problematic, you are going to have so much over draw going on the level will ultimately be unplayable. Large scale terrain, personally I would model, but I have to say I go with Eraser, build a damn good, small, arena.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 01-16-2013 07:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I take care on your words, Eraser... Also dONKEY has written good argument. I use the old method because I feel the new dotproduct by Sock is just a way too complicated for me. Large scale terrains were always done with alphamap method and I don't want to change the road. Also, if you look on the three terrain levels by ID Software in TA pack (yes it's old aynway), they are made by this old method and as I said, this level should be free continuous of the terrain levels. Style whatever I want, method pretty the same... I decided to make continous level from Distant Screams, the winter level - Distant Screams II: Frozen Heroes as the second winter terrain level inspired by original ID Software's level mpterra2. But you're right, I should start with something much smaller.
Will try to make small levels first and then start something larger like the terrain mapping...

You are still open to subscribe on mapping list and I will find some nice textures for my next map to be edited in PS...
Thank you for the feedback :sly:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.