Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        desctf3 by Despair

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: desctf3 by Despair

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 07-29-2012 05:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey everyone. Here's my latest beta for the MSG#4 comp.

-Download (25.6mb)

There is no clipping or bot support yet. I also need to try to improve vis more (if possible) as some spots can hit 30k tris. My system has no trouble running it tho, so i'd like to know how other's systems fare with it. As i said, the details are basically finished, barring some lighting tweaks and other finessing. I'll probably also still add a bit more detail to the MH area/underwater paths. Would appreciate any feedback. As always, i'm still open to suggestions. Hope you like :D.

Here's some screens:

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 07-30-2012 03:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bspc.log

Entity 0, Brush 5380: duplicate plane
MAX_MAPFILE_PLANES

is this error from Brush 5380
or is this another Brush ?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 07-30-2012 07:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, as I said, the map does not have bot support yet. That error is likely caused by the tree models in the map because currently they are autoclipped. When I do a proper clipping pass, I will remove the autoclips. It is also possible that the map is too complex for bots. Hopefully not, because I'm not sure I will be able to fix that in time for the deadline. I will add it afterwards if it comes to that though.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 12:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice use of Sock's POM textures (rocks, plants). I like the design, all the rock, and plants, the ancient architecture, your use of water in waterfalls and "rivers"... really interesting. Cannot comment on the CTF though, since I never play that mode.

Other things:
  • textures/desctf1/vine.TGA is missing
  • Code:
    WARNING: reused image textures/desctf3/env/sky_rt.tga with mixed glWrapClampMode parm
    , might want to check out what is up with this.
  • Near the Regen (and the Maveric Severs ad) in der Red base there is a ceiling texture missing. I hope you only accidentally caulked that ceiling, if this is one of those "rare" compile issues, this whole thing could get ugly. The blue base ceiling is fine.
  • The areas that seem to require the most work are all the underwater areas. They are too low-poly and empty, IMO. Might like to make the walls less obviously rectangular (angle them), add rocks, maybe some greenery, and some ruins as well... sunken gates or arcs and the like... dropped carved stones.

Hope that helps a tiny bit.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 12:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I plan to replace the sky if I have time, but i'm pretty sure that that warning is one that can be ignored. I've already fixed the vine texture and the ceiling by regen (it was just an accidental caulk). As for the underwater bits, I am actually working on them right now :). Meant to detail those before putting this beta up, but I forgot heh. Thanks AEon, appreciate the feedback.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-06-2012 04:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just about finished. RC1 is ready. Link: Desctf3_RC1.pk3

I've added sounds, clipping, and bot support. The bots actually play fairly well, but i'm going to see if i can improve that further still. There are a couple errors in this RC that i've already fixed (the missing railing by quad, and bots getting stuck at spawn low spawn by the jumppad in mid) Otherwise, all i've left on my todo list is to make location names, a levelshot, to name the damn map, and a bit more texture work (teleporter is WIP still, and i want to replace the skybox). I'd appreciate any feedback on anything else. Thanks

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-07-2012 07:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Name: "Ancient Showdown" ;)

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-07-2012 09:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A few things I noted:

a) The one triangle at the top of this JP is sightly misaligned, in the screenshot it looks OK at this resolution, but in-game it is noticable.

b) One combination of textures that looked strangely flat to me was one of the walls in the bases wall (see purple). The main column in the corner is flush with the rest of the wall with the red light. Personally I would indent the wall slightly (4-8u). d) is the same wall.

c) The angled roof texture is slightly offset, I noted this on a few other roofs. You might want to double-check all of them to be sure.

d) Like in b), I would sightly indent the wall to make the "column texture" in the corner stand out more. In other cases with different textures all of them in the same plane, that was fine.

e) In the corner of your bases there is some grass/rock geometry that is too dark, and looks weird. You might want to vertex tweak those a bit.

f) In the main area, going into a base upper walk (you probably know the location), there is an edge (purple) between a carved ceiling and rock... the straight edge looks weird, IMO, because natural rock would never match such an edge perfectly. My suggestion, place some decorative trim over the whole area, burying the purple edge. The transition between ceiling-rock would then then be more plausible.

g) Nice flags, but the very wide flag looks... ahm too wide... the flag is technically vertically quashed. This is especially noticeable since in the rest of the base all the flags actually seem to be too narrow.

• The underwater areas are nice now... the sand looks good, you might add a bit more deco though.
  • Not sure about this, IIRC, most CTF pretty much dumb down the pathing by adding coloured arrows all over the place. You might want to consider this as well. But at least in the underwater areas you might like to add some sort of direction indicator to the bases.
  • I like the splash of your central waterfalls and the broken stepping stones there. But when seen from the side the waterfalls are just a bent patches with no thickness. To "fix" this you might like to bend the edges of the waterfall patch slightly, might need more patch elements to do that though. That way the water falling would have some thickness.
  • Spoiled from the main area waterfall, I was expecting to see something where the waterfalls hit water in the bases (around the flags) as well. Maybe add some water effect here as well?

Just some things I noted, many things are not really required, but might add that extra spiff and consistency to the already very beautiful map.

Hope that helps.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-10-2012 05:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Since today is the deadline for the competition, the map is now final. The only thing i wasn't able to get to was a new skybox, but other than that, i'm pretty happy with the final result. Thanks again for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated.

Download (32.7 mb)

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-11-2012 01:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice to see the suggestions implemented, and that gives the map that extra level of polish IMO.

• I like those arrows, especially the way you implemented them via stones in the sand under water.
  • Flags in the base look better.
  • Base waterfall splash effect also appreciated.

Took me a while to understand why the map is so calm, it's your sound-scape with birds... works really well. Good luck in the competition.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-11-2012 08:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good luck Despair! Great looking map!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.