Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        starting mapper, being an idiot, can't seem to do things rig

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: starting mapper, being an idiot, can't seem to do things rig

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 03:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

now, before anyone starts to scream at me i would like to say the following.

1) i have installed both GTKradiant 1.4 and Q3radiant (don't know what the difference is but tutorials always mention 1 of the 2)
2) i have read and followed each step in the following internet tutorials
http://www.1upclan.info/hosted/bubba-ma ... orial.html
http://accad.osu.edu/~mlewis/Gauge/q3rm ... c475185819
problem with the bubba tutorial is that he has links to stuff i need, but those links don't work anymore.

now onto my problem,
i know how to move, how to make pillars and traingle, cubes, spheres and how to use csgsubtract, actually all basic things...
i tried to make teleports, jumppads and even use liquids and fog, but when i try to use that i run into the following problem, I DONT HAVE THEM!!! :-O :-(
so i tried looking in the sample maps i can f*** up :)

http://q3stuff.webs.com/apps/photos/pho ... =155523329 *
http://q3stuff.webs.com/apps/photos/pho ... =155523328 *

here i used the sample map of q3dm7, the blue shader boxes stand for all the things i can't use, lava, trigger textures and so on.

in the space map q3dm17 you need trigger textures like the sound of falling to your death, remove power ups, nodrop and hurt, cause obviously you want anyfool to fall of to die...

http://q3stuff.webs.com/apps/photos/pho ... =155523330 *

here you see the triggers needed in purple (and white squares) and the trigger push, that's used to make jumppads.

all these files are needed eventually for making a map but i don't have em...
so in conclusion i think im missing the following textures/models/files

- liquids (lava, water slime)
- cfx fog
- trigger texture
- no draw texture
- models to make teleporter, skull, or that lovely dragon statue in dm7 on top of those pillars in the lava,,...

is this cause all q3maps i have are in pak.pk3 files?
or because i need to download them.
any help would be welcome,
please scream and shout at me if i do something wrong ;)
thanks

* = i made a webs site cause of the limited capacity i can upload here (256 kb)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 04:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

your install from gtk is not complet.
download gtk 1.5. + gamepack for q3a.
Is better

http://radiant.robotrenegade.com/downloads.html

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 04:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It doesn't matter wether you use gtkradiant 1.4, 1.5 or 1.6 - all of them should provide a simular functionality.
If the textures are displayed in your camera you must actually have them.
Trigger, nodraw and others are located in the "common" texture folder. To navigate to it click "textures" in the menu bar and select "common" - now you should find all of the shaders you are looking for in your texture browser.
If not you should rather make sure you did set up gtkradiant 1.4 correctly. Double check your engine path and make sure you are looking at the textures at the right places.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 04:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@cityy

thank you, if i haven't installed the path right, the nwaht is the right path?
the items are shown in my camera view cause they are available in the sample map,
but i cant find them in textures common,
i have the invisible and the mirror texture in the common texture map.
i'll uninstall and re install gtkradiant,...
my engine path? Hm,... i wonder what path i should choose,

i thankk you both!!!
i'll post something if im done

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 04:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how do i get those so called gamepacks and how should i install them?

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 05:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

After Installing GTKradiant asks you what game you want to set it up for and where the engine is located. You need to set the game to Quake III Arena and set the path to the folder your quake3.exe is located in.
I'm not sure what setup you have been using but this one should work 100%: http://www.zfight.com/misc/files/q3/GtkRadiantSetup-1.4.0-Q3RTCWET.exe

It also includes the q3 gamepack along with RTCW/ET.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 05:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

guys i love you!!!
well that sounded a bit gay,...
now i have reinstalled gttk1.4 and click my common text file i see well, alot of colours and all the things i mentioned beefore.
i used q3 to start a little experiementing with a inidiana jones based map, but this is way better now it works in GTK 1.4

now only question i have left,
how big should i make a door (hide and width) so i can pass?
i made a map but it started at 0 and ended up somewhere higher than 520 entities???
thank you all,
i owe you big time

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 05:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A reasonable size for doorways is anything from 160 to 192 units in height and width.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 05:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it still says on some textures,
shader image missing
what's that?

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 05:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That generally means you have a shader that uses a texture missing in your baseq3. I can't really provide you with any further information since I don't know what shaders you are talking about.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 05:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

almost all,...
since i'm not able to upload any image's of what i'm missing i ask you if there's any other way to communicate or to visit that site and i'll upload pics there.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 05:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dropbox is a great cloud service, imgur.com is a decent image hoster.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 05:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

there's a new world opening up for me...

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 05:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Always be open to new things - there is nothing better than getting to know new stuff. ;P

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 05:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i made a screen of 3 texture things GTK syas im missing,
liquids, gothic wall and common
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yt8f6bk5qe4f9wa/gAHCtSM1XF

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 05:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Uhm, do you have the latest q3 point release installed? (1.32c)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 05:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not see a texture.
This is a working texture.
is normal.
a lot of textures are not real.
view in the shader.

read the Shader Manual.

view by gtk/q3.game/docs.

oh too slow :sly:

Last edited by Tanica46 on 05-11-2012 05:50 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 05:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

why isnt there one place where i can find it all...
i like learning this all
but how do i get 1.32c
i really aint that good with a pc,...

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 05:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you have the common-sprog.pk3 + mapmedia.pk3 in baseq3?

forgotten:
you have another pk3 in baseq3?

other pk3s can bring the gtk confused.

Last edited by Tanica46 on 05-11-2012 06:02 AM, edited 1 time in total.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 05:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grab 1.32 here: http://www.quakeunity.com/file=1150
Grab the 1.32c patch here: http://www.quakeunity.com/file=2364

No worries, there is nothing wrong with asking questions on this forum - that's the idea after all.
Common-spog.pk3 and mapmedia.pk3 should usually come with radiant. If you don't have them let us know.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 06:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

common i have, mapmeida i dont, any place i should put those files?
i downloaded those files and run the 132c.exe file, now what to do with that patch?and do i have to reinstall something (either q3 or gtk?)

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 06:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You just execute the patches. 1.32 first and then 1.32

Download the mapmedia.pk3 here: http://lvlworld.com/dl.php?ftp=lvl&id=0&zip=mapmedia
After downloading it put it in your baseq3 folder.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 06:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mapmedia :(
Whoever came up with that one should be shot. Has caused too many black/white grids in otherwise perfectly good maps.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 06:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yt8f6bk5qe4f9wa/gAHCtSM1XF
i added 2 pics about how my q3 files look,...
i get confused...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 06:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i installed that 1.32 thing and if i run the patch (which sits in my downlods map, should i mvoe that to where???) it says it can't find default.cfg
isn't it better if i just delete every single q3related thing, and start all over with help from one of you guys? i lost sight of what's where and all....

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 06:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ooops, that went wrong... you somehow isntalled the point release inside your quake 3 install and did not update it. Did the point release executive ask you for the path to your quake 3 install? If so you entered the wrong one. :p

Yes, I recommend you uninstall everything and proceed in this order:
1) Install q3
2) Install 1.32 and 1.32c, pay attention to entering the correct path to your q3 dir
3) Install gtkradiant 1.4 from my link above
4) Move the mapmedia.pk3 to your baseq3 folder
5) start and set up gtkradiant (do again pay attention to entering the correct path to your q3 dir)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 06:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think simply removing the extra Quake3 folder inside his "Quake III Arena" folder and reapplying the 1.32 patch should be enough.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 06:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

okay ill see how thing go tomorrow cause now i have to eat and work.
should i let him create a folder outside my program files or inside my program files ( see my pics i now have 2 places with q3)
back in approx. 14 - 16 hours :)

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 06:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The default install dir is "Program Files/Quake III Arena" - that's where your quake3.exe, baseq3 folder etc should be in.
You may as well join us on QuakeNet irc in #radiant to ask further questions if that's your thing.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-11-2012 08:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey....most comprehensive q3 mapping tutorials on my site: http://www.leveldk.co.uk

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 02:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oke i searched my PC for quake and radiant and deleted every single file it found, now onto the list cityy told me to do...

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 02:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sorry :paranoid:

incorrect processing

one folder too much for the installation of gtk.

is normal ;)

best install for q3 : C:/quake3

There are problems with OS Vistas with admin rights in the programs folder. is more crazy as good. :dork:

Last edited by Tanica46 on 05-12-2012 04:01 AM, edited 2 times in total.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 02:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No offense, Tanica46, but I can't understand a word of what you are saying.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 03:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sorry :dork:

better PM :sly:

Last edited by Tanica46 on 05-12-2012 03:55 AM, edited 1 time in total.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 03:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, try using full sentences; your translation in particular is not all that wrong - it is just hard to connect the snippets of sentences and to figure out the full context.
And yes, he set the wrong path when installing the point release; that's why another q3 folder was created in his actual game folder.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.