Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        starting mapper, being an idiot, can't seem to do things rig

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: starting mapper, being an idiot, can't seem to do things rig

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 05:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

whut?

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 05:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nevermind, did you get your problems fixed?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 05:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seriously guys, what are the last 5 comments about? it no makes sense to me :P

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 05:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no not yet, i have to study for exams 2, so when ever i try to start up the pc and all shit my moms come screaming to me i should study... installing q3 as we speak

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 05:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

where do i have to install q3?
im working with windows 7
should ii put it in C (it makes a new folder there)
in C;/programfiles
or c:/programfiles(x86)

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 05:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mine is here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Quake III Arena
Win7 64bit

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 05:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how can i see if i have a 32 or a 64 bit?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 05:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

never mind, it's a 64 bit

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 05:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

can't create output files c:\program files(x86)\setup.exe

it will actually only let me install it in a new folder it creates in C:/ itself
(C:/Quake III)

Last edited by guitar_monkey on 05-12-2012 05:41 AM, edited 1 time in total.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 05:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Uhm, what? Where are you getting that error? There should be no setup.exe created in your program files folder normally..

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 05:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

can't create output files c:\program files(x86)\setup.exe

it will actually only let me install it in a new folder it creates in C:/ itself
(C:/Quake III)

nice site BTW, can't download all the QL files,...

a bit annoying to keep coming back to this site,
ain;t going so fast...

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 05:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Weird.. did you uninstall your old Q3 install propperly? If nothing helps try installing it in some other folder..

Thanks, I haven't put up download links because you can only play the maps vs bots in QL anyway.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 05:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but still, can be fun.
i have uninstalled it yes.
ill just let him make that new folder now...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 06:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 06:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry guitar_monkey

is the panic before the admin.
in some forums is offtropic not considered.

what do you do with your q3?
with "OS vistas" only the copy of the cd onto the hard disk.
is easy
create a folder quake3
c:/quake3
copy baseq3 folder from cd to c:/quake3/baseq3

and not more.

install the pp1.32
watch out for the correct path c:/quake3

install gtk
When asked about your Q3 you give to the path c:/quake3

and that was all

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 06:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Strange... does your user account have admin rights?
You could aswell try what Tanica46 suggested and copy the files from your q3 CD to the folder you wanted to install the game in.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 06:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i dont have OS vista i have OS 7
see the pic called error in that link, that is what i see wehn i install the game

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 06:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh.
is big pak0.pk3
leave it so and copy pak0.pk3 from cd to this quake3.

"I like these little submit windows"

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 06:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

does it make any difference that i don't have a Q3 CD version? i (L) PirateBay (Q3 ain't available in stores,...)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 06:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

did not have the large pak0.pk3 before?

old picture from yesterday is deleted.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 06:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In that case you may as well just
1) create a folder like "C:\Quake III Arena"
2) grab the pak0.pk3 you have probably downloaded and place it in "C:\Quake III Arena\baseq3"
3) then run the point release and install it in "C:\Quake III Arena"
4) create a q3key file (no extension) in the baseq3 folder and enter your cd key

It's explained in detail here:
http://noobs-anonymous.net/posts/view/What-you-need-to-install-CPMA
(a guide to set up CPMA and q3; CPMA is a modification that is used for competetive play, you may install it or not - up to you)

However, there are quite a few ways to buy q3. I for one imported it from the UK; depending on your country you can also buy it on steam. Personally, I don't support software piracy.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 06:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i don't like being a pirate, it's just that i cant download it from steam or how that works, and i as a teenager don't haev the correct credit cards to buy over seas.
as soon as i have that possibility i won't be needing that piratebay anymore.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 06:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No worries, I wont sue you... I'm at your age btw - there are one time use credit cards you can buy at gas station and some stores.
I agree though, buying stuff on the web is annoying if you are underaged; I think that's one of the major problems with services like itunes or steam and a reason for the huge amount of online piracy.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 06:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

okay do i need all those files? or just the files listed under essential?

BTW, need to work soon again, back maybe tonight or else tomorrow.
can't i have a copy of your Q3map? :P

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 06:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Theoretically, you just need pak0 and the point release.

Edit:
Not sure what you mean?!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-13-2012 04:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

okay, still the same problem but i can work with it. at least i have the stuff i didn't have in Q3Radiant.
i like to try make a RAGE location for Q3...
now starting with that ambitious plan...

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-13-2012 04:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Uhm, what?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-13-2012 12:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how to make custom textures and put them in radiant 1.4?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-13-2012 10:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In the baseq3 folder inside your Quake III Arena installation folder, there's a folder called "textures" (and if it isn't, create it). Inside the "textures" folder, create another folder and give it some interesting name. In there, place your textures in either JPG or TGA format.

Now open up the "shaderlist.txt" file in the "scripts" folder inside the "baseq3" folder. On a new line, at the bottom of the file, add the name of the folder you have created inside the textures folder.

(Re)start GtkRadiant and the name of your folder should appear in the list in the textures menu.

Note that if you use an underscore (_) in the name of your folder, GtkRadiant will take the part before the _ and group all folders like that together.

So for instance, if you create two folders and call one of the "guitar_monkey" and one of them "guitar_ape", then in GtkRadiant you'll see a menuitem in the textures menu called "guitar", and under that item there will be two items called "monkey" and "ape".

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-14-2012 12:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

was that a joke about my name? :P
thank you :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-14-2012 01:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No sir, I wouldn't dare make jokes about your name ;)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-14-2012 08:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

haha,... sure :P
well it worked,
on to making my rusty wall and gate

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-14-2012 10:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good luck! Feel free to ask more questions; take them to a new thread though.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.