Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        MSG QUAKE 3 LEVEL DESIGN COMPETITION #4

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: MSG QUAKE 3 LEVEL DESIGN COMPETITION #4

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-07-2012 06:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For the fourth time, MaverickServers is hosting a Quake 3 level design competition. Mappers from the community are encouraged to participate; veteran mappers and those looking to get into mapping are welcome to join in on the fun. Prizes will be awarded to the best maps.

The contest will start on June 2nd and run for 10 weeks until August 11th. Judging will occur for 1 week after. Registration deadline is 3 weeks after the start date on June 23rd.

Sapphire, Wacom, and Kot-in-Action are already sponsoring and there are more to come.

Rules

-The map should be able to hold at least 8 players suitable for 4v4 TDM/CTF or 8 players FFA or be a 1v1 map (although 1v1/tournament maps will be held to the same quality levels as more complex TDM/CTF maps)
    -Doesn't necessarily have to support a specific gametype or mod, but you are welcome to specify one
    -Map must be previously unreleased and a new design. Please no map remakes or edits.
    -Map must contain sponsor images. Gotta show some thanks, right?
    -Full rule listing at the main competition website

Judging

-Will be done by a panel of experienced players and mappers
    -Scored primarily on gameplay/design and also on overall looks, creativity, and layout
    -Judges: TBA

Competition Links: Main Page, Forums, #maverickservers
Previous Competition: ESR Post, 2011 Winners, Main Page

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-07-2012 08:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cityy wrote:
-Map must contain sponsor images. Gotta show some thanks, right?

Wut?

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-07-2012 09:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Like this for instance: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15072710/MSGcompetition2011/week10_ingame%20%283%29.jpg

Maverick makes them available one or two weeks before the competition ends.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-07-2012 09:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there any fee for join?

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-07-2012 09:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-07-2012 09:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finally starting to formulate a layout I'm somewhat satisfied with. Let's bring it. :up:

And you're doing another CTF map, cityy? :D

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-07-2012 10:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EmeraldTiger wrote:
And you're doing another CTF map, cityy? :D

Yes, turns out I'll go for ctf again.. dunno, I acutally wanted to do a duel map but I can't stand it :)

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 05-08-2012 09:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Make a TDM map then. ;)

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-08-2012 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How about you make a TDM map Mr. Iappearoutofnowherevery4months!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-08-2012 02:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dafuq....
don't have time though :/ first time I have to admit that university has a higher priority than lvldesigning :D
Have fun everyone...
Still come by for tests and screens =)

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-09-2012 01:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aw, I'm sad to hear that, Bliccer - you should sign up never the less, maybe it turns out you find some time for it :P

Everyone please don't forget you need to post on the official forums in order to sign yourself up for the competition - the earlier you do it, the better. :)

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 05-09-2012 10:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cityy wrote:

:ninja:

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-09-2012 11:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cityy wrote:

:olo: :olo:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-10-2012 03:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cityy wrote:
Aw, I'm sad to hear that, Bliccer - you should sign up never the less, maybe it turns out you find some time for it :P

Maybe I will have time for competition #5 *maverick? :D*
Or someone wants me as teammate to do some minor editings. But for a major release, I would need to put at least one weekend into (like the last compmap), to get something decent and weekends are normally my post-production days. Maybe a video for the comp or for ALL comps?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-10-2012 11:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll see if I can participate this year, but I have same problem as Bliccer :(

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 01:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is here anyone from the old competition, who still has got his scribbles on paper or in a jpeg from old maps with all old versions including the blocking etc.?

@noruen: let's do smth together! Maybe thats possible.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-20-2012 05:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bumpery.

Sign up people! You don't know how many more Q3 mapping competitions there will be in the future so use the opportunity to take part in this fun event as long as you can.
TheMuffinMan? fkd? kaz? Obsidian? sock? Infje? Hipshot? Fjoggs? J3st3r? Julek? sst13? Acid?
Sorry if I'm forgetting anyone here.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 05-24-2012 05:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We'll see. I'm really busy these days, and the summermonths aren't usually very computerfriendly. :p Who knows, maybe I'll suprise myself!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-24-2012 07:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you have to register now or can it be any time during the competition? Like Fjoggs, I'm pretty busy these days.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-24-2012 07:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Registration is required on the forums and is open until June 23rd

June 23rd, that's three weeks into the competition.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-11-2012 05:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This small maptrailer shows most of the maps, included in the last three mappacks from the maverickservers.com level-design competitions.
It should give an idea of the overall quality of the maps created during a 9 weeks time limit.
Furthermore it calls upon all mappers to take part in the 4th part of this mapping series taking part in June 2012.
http://mapping.maverickservers.com

High Quality
Medium Quality
Low Quality

Have fun watching, don't hesitate to comment and of course sign up!

Attachments:
maverick_3.jpg
maverick_3.jpg [ 101.09 KB | Viewed 465 times ]
maverick_2.jpg
maverick_2.jpg [ 140.54 KB | Viewed 494 times ]
maverick_1.jpg
maverick_1.jpg [ 43.03 KB | Viewed 540 times ]

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 06-12-2012 04:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice one :up: :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-12-2012 04:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome video Bliccer!

Bliccer wrote:
It should give an idea of the overall quality of the maps created during a 9 weeks time limit.

And this. This is what the world should see. This is what should be shown on CNN and (especially) Fox News whenever some kid shot up his class mates and all people are doing is blaming video games. It's a shame that people gobble up that kind of nonsense while they fail to recognize and respect the incredible amounts of creativity that games like Quake 3 generate. It's a shame that people do not realize how incredibly talented this community is and what beautiful things are created.

And while that's not just true for Q3A, IMO it does have the most talented and versatile creative community of all games. It's amazing to see what people can squeeze out of this 12 year old game.

Respect and kudos to those that can :up:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-12-2012 06:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Word!

Thanks for props!

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-12-2012 10:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My KMPlayer had slower video than audio, but great work... :up:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-15-2012 02:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We have a moddb page now, which will be updated continously with interviews, media related to the comp etc...

http://www.moddb.com/groups/maverick-se ... ompetition

So, join and be a member and furthermore spread the link!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-28-2012 09:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There are already 2 interviews up... don't forget to read them!
The next one will be added over the weekend. Stay tuned =)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-09-2012 01:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 07-25-2012 06:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've seen the alphas, but why no one writes, that desctf3_b5 BSPC has a crash?

evil "MAX_MAPFILE_PLANES"

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-06-2012 04:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bliccer wrote:
This small maptrailer shows most of the maps, included in the last three mappacks from the maverickservers.com level-design competitions.
Furthermore it calls upon all mappers to take part in the 4th part of this mapping series taking part in June 2012.
http://mapping.maverickservers.com

High Quality
Medium Quality
Low Quality

Have fun watching, don't hesitate to comment and of course sign up!

Good shit right here, thanks.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-02-2012 09:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

odd that this was not updated, but yeah.

http://www.maverickservers.com/forums/v ... 23&t=18355

gg all. will grab the final pack when it finally gets released. :up:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-03-2012 05:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:
odd that this was not updated

I thought the same.
Spam bots moved in like roaches, but have been cleaned up. Still no update or official 'that's all folks'.
Here's hoping RL is being kind to Mav.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.