Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        infinite far

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: infinite far

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-05-2012 08:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is it possible to write a shader that will make a surface appear infinitely far. Like skies look infinitely far.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-05-2012 08:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-05-2012 08:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
http://q3map2.robotrenegade.com/docs/shader_manual/general-directives.html#sort

I knew it's going to be something i saw a hundred times and never payed attention to it.
Thanks Obsidian.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-05-2012 10:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you have an example of what you want to accomplish? Sort will allow the surface to render behind everything else, but it won't scale objects as if it were infinitely far, so it may or may not be what you are looking for.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-05-2012 05:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wanted to create like a fake skybox. Something i can put on the outer side of a window and make the image look far like it has some actual depth.
But without using surfaceparm sky for it.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-05-2012 06:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry, been way too long (read +5 years) since I last used GTK, but I vaguely remember being able to make a translucent surface (like a teleporter) that shows you a live-image feed from a GTK "camera" that you setup pointing in the direction of a sky or whatever.

Sigh... Is this making sense, can someone translate what I mean? I know, I used to do this.

Then you make a separate not-in-the-level box of sky or whatever surrounding the said directional camera. You have to connect two points together, from the first one in the window to the second (the camera) in your target area.

I believe that the surface required a special shader, that I forget which it was called but it is fairly quick to find a teleporter shader and read the code I suppose.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-05-2012 07:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can either use a portal camera entity or a q3map2 _skybox entity.

Portals are used to make the Q3 teleported and mirrors, so you can see the destination or reflection on the surface.

Skybox entity projects a 360-degree capture of a mini skybox onto your sky. This is most likely what you want and works with best results.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-06-2012 03:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Do you have an example of what you want to accomplish? Sort will allow the surface to render behind everything else, but it won't scale objects as if it were infinitely far, so it may or may not be what you are looking for.

lol, sorry to be pendantic, but how do you scale something to make it look infinitely far away? :smirk:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-06-2012 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, NOT scale... So that if you move closer to the object, it still keeps its relative size on screen.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-06-2012 10:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Portals are used to make the Q3 teleported and mirrors, so you can see the destination or reflection on the surface.

While we're on portals, I have question: Is it possible to make portal from mirror surface?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-07-2012 06:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They are the same thing. The only difference with a portal is that it has a destination camera set for the surface.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.