Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        gtkradiant texture loaction.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: gtkradiant texture loaction.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-16-2011 08:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Could someone please tell me what the default path for the textures that gtkradiant uses is? :q3:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-16-2011 08:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mines C:/GameDev/Quake 3/

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-17-2011 12:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Where ever Quake 3 is installed. I think the default installation location for Quake 3 is C:\Program Files\Quake III Arena

Once inside that folder, go to baseq3 and open pak0.pk3 with a program that can read ZIP files (a .pk3 file is basically a zip file with a different filename extension). In the zip file you'll find a textures folder and in there are all the textures.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-17-2011 02:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I could use pakscape to open the pk0.pk3, right?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-17-2011 03:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you can use winzip, winrar... etc etc etc... .pk3 is just a zip file really

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-17-2011 09:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GtkRadiant reads inside PK3 files, so there's generally no need to open them.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 03-18-2011 05:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Moving to LEM.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-19-2011 05:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The path is <Quake3>/baseq3/textures/ but as Obsidian mentioned the pk3 files are also read. The path may not even exist in your Q3A installation if you never made a map because everything is distributed in pk3 files usually.

This means that if you have a pk3 file (e.g. a custom map file named somemap.pk3) in baseq3/ and it contains image files in a textures/ sub directory, these textures will also show up in radiant. This also applies to the stock game media of course, it is in the pak0.pk3 file.

I think having stuff outside of a pk3 file leads to sv_pure issues, you may need to use /devmap instead of /map in the in-game console to load a map and/or set sv_pure 0 on the command line. Haven't done something for q3a in quite a while though, not 100% sure on this.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.