Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Good ASE modelling tool...?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Good ASE modelling tool...?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-19-2011 11:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

... and not Blender since it doesn't want to load the damn models :/

I'm looking to export sections of an ASE to MD3, what can I use? :up:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-20-2011 12:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Blender.

Go to http://www.katsbits.com and look at the tutorials there. Kat also has links to import/export scripts for Blender that makes everything work smoothly.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-20-2011 02:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Blender is a disgusting pimple on the arse of the modeling world and should be destroyed. Or at least, its UI designer should be hanged.

GMax might do what you need, actually.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-20-2011 03:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silicone_Milk wrote:

Blender.

Go to http://www.katsbits.com and look at the tutorials there. Kat also has links to import/export scripts for Blender that makes everything work smoothly.

I could only find an exporting tutorial. I got the import/export scripts though and got them to show in the menu, but when I try importing an ASE it does nothing at all :/

o'dium wrote:
Blender is a disgusting pimple on the arse of the modeling world and should be destroyed. Or at least, its UI designer should be hanged.

GMax might do what you need, actually.

Yeah agreed, I hate that goddamn thing with a passion but if it gets the job done then that's all that matters. How do I get GMax? I can't find a download link on Autodesk's site... is it a free app?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-20-2011 04:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As a Blender user, I'm fully aware that the UI is alien for users of Industry Standard 3d Software but since it doesn't cost a dime and that the devs are at least trying to make it easier to use, it would be nice to try the newer 2.5 releases.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-20-2011 04:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alright nevermind what I said above, I've got it working. Now it's proving to be a pain in the ass to modify the model, but I'll get it right!

Thanks for the help

Edit: btw o'dium, are you the same guy who worked on Q2 Evolved?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-20-2011 05:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Blender 2.5 is a pretty big improvement.

For a straight ASE to MD3 conversion, you could just use what id Software (and I) use, Q3data.exe.

Other notes:
TBH, I wouldn't bother with Gmax anymore. It's abandonware since something like 2000, it doesn't have many export or import capabilities and Gmax files are essentially useless with any other modeling program or file converters. There's a reason why no one uses it (well... other than Bonnebez) and Autodesk swiped the embarrassment under the rug when no one was looking. You might be hard pressed to find a copy since Autodesk has been pretending that it never existed in the first place. Maybe ask Bonnebez if you're still intent on using it.

Yes, o'dium worked on Q2 Evolved. I believe he also has a 6th toe on his left foot and works for MI6 on Wednesdays.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-20-2011 05:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silicone_Milk wrote:

Blender.

What Silicone said... you'll find *everything* you'll need, providing you take the time to look that is.

WRT gmax, it's still useful but only really for MD3 files as you have to be a bit more creative to export anything else.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 03-20-2011 08:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just a note in case you are a student at a university: Autodesk gives students a 3 year free educational license to ALL of their software at http://students.autodesk.com

It's pretty amazing - Adobe should follow suit!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.