Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Phobos mini pack v1

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Phobos mini pack v1

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-16-2011 12:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I heard that simplier is better so the door frame that wil go with any prop will look like this:

-----------

It's not really what i expected but here it goes. The other advantage is that you got a single entity for the frame this time.

The pack is available at the usual location: http://serge.billault.pagesperso-orange.fr/Quake3/phobos_pack_v1.pk3

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-17-2011 02:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have 2 ideas in mind at this time:

The first one is to make a bot trap that consist in a big "do not push" textured func_push that trigger a devastating giant boxing glove

The second one is to make modules that you put on ceilings so that it looks less flat.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 03-17-2011 06:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GLOVE FTW!!!!!!!!!!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-18-2011 05:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I made a door that goes with the door frame, but still have some work to do with it.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-19-2011 07:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The door is finished, however beware that if you want to modify it, should you add one vertex or one face the model will be rejected by the old q3radiant (ZeroRadiant would accept it but the lightning would from suffer strange glitches resulting from the vertices limitation being bypassed).
The music that was playing in my mind while trying to reduce the geometry was a little like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKjFgdgp7yY&t=1m18s

http://serge.billault.pagesperso-orange.fr/Quake3/phobos_pack_v1.pk3

-----------

I made a greenish version of both the door frame and door to suit my personal tastes, they wil be shped in the next pack once i added ceiling props and a line of doors of different sizes. To force a model to use your own textures, just re-export them from gmax or replace the texture ref that is in full text within the .MD3 (make sure to preserve a path relative to models for your change to work)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-19-2011 02:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have finished a small version of the door for one-player-at-a-time entrances. I still have to do a door like in submarines and i will begin ceiling props. Nobody asked for specific color tones for these so i will make them green to start with.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 03-19-2011 05:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice work, very doom3

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-20-2011 06:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I finished modeling the guppy door and its frame, i have yet to texture them both. The texture used on the guppy is using an old black and white picture taken presumingly during war. It have been colored using Gimp's color tool. No copyright on this one as far as i know.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-20-2011 07:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think you need a blog.

Your stuff looks good, though. Keep it up.

Team Event -O- Horizon

NoGhost Map Making Competition 2 (June 2010)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-20-2011 10:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am aware that rotating doors need a mod or another for this kind of entity to be placed but however i made 3 versions of the guppy so that if you got no rotating door, you can still use the non CW/CCW models:

. 1 non rotating (axis in the center )
. 1 CW (axis left aligned)
. 1 CCW (axis right aligned)

http://serge.billault.pagesperso-orange.fr/Quake3/phobos_pack_v1.pk3 (save as from your browser if strange glyphs appear when clicking this link)

But i think that the real problem will be to make a map that goes with the door...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-20-2011 04:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Now that i begin to get a little more familiar with gmax and texturing i will improve the very first assets i made (ugly pillars and plinths for exemple). But I will export the new assets under a different name. Then i will begin a first map with functional entities that will serve as a demo for the pack. But it will take quite some weekends...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-20-2011 06:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's improving, the old textures on some of the models were a bit lacking, but I really like the new stuff.

Door looks like this one:

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-20-2011 07:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Casting a critical eye over the models you've got a peculiar sense of poly distribution, some of your larger models use very few when they could in fact do with more to flesh out some of the larger masses (the door handle turny thing for example) and visa-versa for simple object using what appears to be huge amounts polys (like the railings).. it actually looks like you've modelled these up and then exported them 'as is' without taking into account any poly optimisations so as a collection of assets it's slightly uneven - you could collapse a lot of faces together, be none-the-wiser and still have awesome map objects. Worth thinking about. Just saying :paranoid: Good work though. :up:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-21-2011 05:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have begun a new version of the pillars at lunch break:

----------

Concerning the picture of the door posted by Obsidian: does it mean you would like a guppy door that looks more like the one in black ?

----------

Concerning the turny thing : do you mean i should i add more polys to the handle ?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-21-2011 07:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, I just wanted to show my version that I made some time ago because it looked similar to yours.

I think Kat means you should flush out more details on some of your models while reducing polygons on other parts. Like on the door, you can probably reduce some polygons around the curvature of the door and use those extra polygons to model out the spinning handle of the door.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-21-2011 12:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The 3 versions of the guppy that got handles on both side of the door have replaced the 3 previous one in the pack (.gmax + models). The model did not need to be split into parts :

----------

The old q3 radiant still accept the new door with both handles and whithout poly reduction (i had forget i had saved 140 polys for that, i can still add 136 polys but beyond that i will have to get back at the model you see above in order to get 100 more polys). So i will reupload the previous version that is correctly lit but include the handles. I will post the pk3 link to say that it is ready.

Done: http://serge.billault.pagesperso-orange.fr/Quake3/phobos_pack_v1.pk3

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-22-2011 03:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hope this one will look better than the previous one once finished

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-23-2011 10:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I might not make new plinths because they prevent users from placing props with a precision under 8 grid units. I would rather make some pillars that adapt to brush-made plinths.

------------

Or maybe a last set of plinths to see if i can pull-of something clean this time

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-24-2011 02:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They might be worth it, so i may finish the set of plinths. I will re-upload the pack only when the set is finished. This time the pillars dont come with some plinths attached to them, so using pillars without plinths will be possible.

Last edited by Bonnebez on 03-25-2011 11:18 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-25-2011 11:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have updated the pack ( http://serge.billault.pagesperso-orange.fr/Quake3/phobos_pack_v1.pk3 ) with the new set of plinths. Two MD3 models for the lips that enclose the lifts were missing and have been also added. Since i am to redo some of the early models it might be a weekend without any new model

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-25-2011 12:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice. But the machinegun model looks really out of place now. Make new weapon models :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-26-2011 01:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am almost finihsed redoing some of the older assets and will soon begin to do what i have been wanting to do for some time: wall/wall textures and ceiling props.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-27-2011 06:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some vertices in the guppy door frame were not welded and have been fixed.

The hub had some faces with no smoothing grps assigned and have been fixed.

A version that you can put at the ceiling exist (rotated along the x-axis). This model have only 232 faces and you can hence put a bunch of them in the same room with the graphic cards we got nowdays ( models like mine are considered low-poly even with 1 year-old graphic cards ).

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-27-2011 02:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The old printer picture have not finished to serve, but it will be a story for the next weekend.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-28-2011 09:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The vax 9000 (powered by gruntorola) got a new dress.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-30-2011 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The wall-teleporter is currently being redone. I might keep the older one depending on how well things evolve for the new wall-t

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 03-30-2011 03:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Will you make a texture set to go along with the models?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-30-2011 10:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe you could make the texture for the right screen a bit more appropriate for the dimensions/shape of the screen. Right now it shows cut off text. Design an interface that looks like it's suitable for a screen that shape.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-30-2011 11:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes and yes. So much to do....

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-31-2011 12:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There are time like this when you regret to not be an artist. This over-stretched texture from stretch-land stretched with stretch-shop-pro is actually frustrating me. I will think twice before doing textures for large objects

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-01-2011 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm going to try and make another texture for the wall teleporter. Sony is going to be my new friend for this task

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-01-2011 12:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finally it might do the trick

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-01-2011 03:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is the last time that i do such a large object to texture. Hopefully it will be finished by the weekend

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-01-2011 10:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh, I love how you turned that camera into a texture :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-02-2011 08:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

. Some of the hub UWs have been adjusted
. The desk screens dont clip any more their content
. A new wall teleporter have been added

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.