Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Phobos mini pack v1

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Phobos mini pack v1

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-26-2011 02:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I dont know how much of my free time i will still spend modeling, and so i decided to release what i already have in a mini pack:

http://serge.billault.pagesperso-orange.fr/Quake3/phobos_pack_v1.pk3

which contain some models, textures, a shotgun, and the .gmax scenes associated with what is shown below. In order to avoid names collisions of resources belonging to a different version of a pack, or resources from another pack i used the prefix <packname>_pack_<version>_<resource name> for the content of the pk3.

In fact i have trouble deciding what to model next, which is mostly the reason i'm going to slow down, unless someone ask me to model for him, which i will gladly accept, at the condition that it is not a character.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-27-2011 07:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool stuff. Couldn't find a readme in the pk3, so which license is this released under?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-27-2011 07:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I assume this

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-27-2011 08:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, it' as free as the air we breath. I will add a note to other releases in the future.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-27-2011 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's even better, thanks!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-27-2011 02:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have been requested to add at least something for corridors and i started the thing that will either expand phobos_pack_v1 (since it's an addition, not a modification) or will make it to a phobos_pack_v2 if i make new versions of some of the models of the v1, so that any modification does not alter existing maps.

The block behind the pilars is there only for reference. Sizes are aligned on 8 grid units.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-28-2011 05:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I finally splited the model into 3 parts that let you control the spacing between pillars, cables and the jacks. So you can put any combination that suit you. The drawback is that you have to put more model entities.

The pack have been updated: http://serge.billault.pagesperso-orange.fr/Quake3/phobos_pack_v1.pk3

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-01-2011 03:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I use this lunch break to land a little note regarding models placement: use prefabs to store complex groups of assets, use view filters to hide model entities while working on brushes.

The next weekend will be dedicated to elevators and fences unless i get a specific request from a friend or someone else again.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-01-2011 03:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thats looking pretty slick. I like it.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-04-2011 02:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I complete the pack with a few more additions before attacking elevators:

- Plinths: they complete the ones attached to the pillars of the previous update and let you put plinths corners (exterior/interior) as well.

- Fences: 4 parts let you fully customise the fences, but because it can be tedious i also provided 3 premade groups for those who prefer to put full chunks with corners and extremities. They dont however represent all the combinations you can make.

Plinths:
. 1 non curved plinth of 128 units
. 1 curved plinth (interior) radius 24 units
. 1 curved plinth (exterior) radius 24 units

Fences:
. 1 horizontal bar (128 units)
. 1 small horizontal bar (64 units)
. 1 corner (8 units)
. 1 extremity (8 units)
. 1 grp (small bar + corner + extremities)
. 1 grp (bar + corner + extremities)
. 1 grp (corner + extremities)

As always the pack can be picked up here: http://serge.billault.pagesperso-orange.fr/Quake3/phobos_pack_v1.pk3

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-05-2011 04:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I added the same set of fences but with half the diameter. I will add more sets of fences as the needs arise, like curved one ones for rounded gateways etc.

Because i easely get distracted i made a door frame. We should be able to make its width customisable by spliting it into 3 parts (2 extremeties and a random number of chunks in the middle).

--------------------
Quake 3 models limitation is going to be troublesome for the elevator if i want to come up with a single entity. I might fallback to a lower polycount if i dont want to force user to put more than one entity for lifts, quake 3 being the old game that it is.

--------------------
I am almost finished with the mobile part of the first type of elevator. As always the .gmax files will be provided so that if something sucks (as it usually does), you can modify it to your tastes.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-06-2011 09:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That door is really cool. It fits really well with those wall sections.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 03-06-2011 01:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

IMO the door frame would look better as grey/silver to give it definition.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-06-2011 02:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Agreed. I will do it one day or another.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-06-2011 02:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I could not add the safety handles for the elevator because it nearly reaches the maximum number of vertices that the old QRadiant accept for models. But if someone find a way to modify the model so that with the handles it fully fit in the a level without making q3 cry i will be more than happy to add the modified model and the name of the guy in the pack.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-06-2011 03:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shame that elevator can't be tied to a func_train or func_plat a la HL2

nice models though, very UT3

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-06-2011 04:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ut3? i was thinking more like doom3. but yeah, some interesting stuff being made. keep em coming

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-06-2011 04:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

At seremtam: Dont be ashamed. I will help you with this post of Obsidian. It worked for me, it will work for you: http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=44597 (I used ZeroRadiant and the target/target name combination for the test) I will include my test map in the pack if people need to see in order to believe.

In enemy territory you can even mount a weapon on mobile objects by setting manually an (back then) undocumented flag.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-06-2011 04:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
shame that elevator can't be tied to a func_train or func_plat a la HL2

You can, actually. It's just a little tricky because the model won't show up visually in Radiant but is only referenced by the model2 key/value pair. This means you have to manually figure out the proper angles to make sure it's oriented in the right direction. Also because the model is dynamic (not compiled into the .bsp), it will only take MD3 files, no ASE or other formats. It's also a good idea to write a shader for this to make the vertex colours dynamic so that it lights differently between up and down positions.

In the linked post above, the description talks about targeting a model with target/targetname. This WON'T work with func_plat or func_door entities because they are expecting an optional trigger to activate them remotely.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-06-2011 04:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually it worked: http://serge.billault.pagesperso-orange.fr/Quake3/elevator_exemple.pk3. To see is to believe.

I included the .map (was done under ZeroRadiant so i dont know what i gives if opened with old QRad) and re-uploaded elevator_exemple.pk3

-------------

The next weekend will be dedicated to ...crates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJR8BdJvNYg

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-06-2011 06:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah, I see. You had to use an extra trigger_multiple to trigger the func_plat. Nice one.

With most other func_entities (except func_door and func_plat) it works natively without any extra triggers. The model just targets the entity.

misc_model ---> func_rotating

func_door and func_plat are usually expecting a trigger, so just targeting a model to these won't normally work.

target_multiple ---> func_door

So you do this:

target_multiple ---> func_door <--- misc_model

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-07-2011 01:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The fences seem like overkill, as that can easily be done using patches. But other than that, all the stuff looks pretty cool.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-07-2011 12:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The only thing I dislike are textures - they're too flat.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-07-2011 01:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A friend of mine did sucessfully commit suicide trying the elevator exemple, so i re-uploaded a version where the elevator is fully cliped, and the trigger correctly placed so that you get a chance to ascend, along with the .map:
http://serge.billault.pagesperso-orange.fr/Quake3/elevator_exemple.pk3

------------

Flat textures: everyone thought of that from the start. You're too shy.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-07-2011 01:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

where are you from, just curious...

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 03-07-2011 02:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

(Guessing France)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-07-2011 02:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A lost spot in the universe where hairy bipeds walk a litlle blue planet. We are on all the little martians maps that list areas to avoid. The .fr in the links i provided stands for fries.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-07-2011 02:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh no, it simply looks like Doom 3 with bump and specular turned off. And really god that you have the internet on your lost spot in the Universe. What kind of connection? Subspace like in Star Trek?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-07-2011 02:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We use a retarded technology that allow us to eat all the bandwith with things called ads.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-07-2011 03:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a hunch that it's quebec. It's just a feeling because I've met quite a few people that have similar attitudes from quebec.

Team Event -O- Horizon

NoGhost Map Making Competition 2 (June 2010)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-07-2011 03:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Personnaly i dont try to link an attitude or human flaws to a nationality, but in this context it makes sens because you want to know where i am from.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-12-2011 03:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Trying to make the pack Q3Map2 compliant i realised that the models were not responsible for the map to not compile. However, after adding the plinths (see screen below ) to compensate for the lack of bevel curves (Q3Map2 wont compile with them on my machine) i adjusted the pilars height so that, like their width, it is aligned on 8 grid units. I reuploaded the pack with a .map that compile with ZeroRadiant/Q3Map2 and the associated .bsp (non blocking leak on entity 19 but it's ok). I should perhaps include the elevator exemple since it's seems to give some trouble figuring out how you make an elevator out of the model for some users.

--------
The fences alone still look sad, i tried to get ride of the "box" effect by adding some details around. In order to do that i did add some models (chunk/corners/extremities). I will re-upload the pack in few minutes.

--------
At the location where the plinth ends near the door frame i did put a plinth-corner that is not really elegant. I plan to attempt to replace it with a small vertical prop. But its shape contain curves that contrast with the door frame, so i may have to make another door frame later.

Last edited by Bonnebez on 03-12-2011 01:17 PM, edited 3 times in total.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-12-2011 07:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What was the last line of the Q3Map2 log? Any other errors reported?

What compile settings are you using?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-12-2011 09:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I will post the details and screens in a moment.
--------------
The details of the crash along with the complete log and the map are in this zip:
http://serge.billault.pagesperso-orange.fr/Quake3/crash.zip
It contain: a screenshot of the crash, the log of the involved compile, and the map.
The compile cmd line was just: -META. The entity 19 leaked does not prevent the map to compile and launch in quake3, but the bevel curve does, if i delete it, the map compile to completion.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-13-2011 07:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As expected the props dont combine too well with the door frame, but allow to hide the plinths extremities. I have been forced to keep some polys on the top of the model because they can be visible in some circumstances, but removed the back and bottom as usual. The width of the basement of the model is aligned on 8 grid units.

I added the prop into the pack and included the elevator exemple:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.