Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Radiant 1.6 (ZeroRadiant)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Radiant 1.6 (ZeroRadiant)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-01-2011 07:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The second time it loads up almost instantly.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 03-01-2011 09:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I usually work with netradiant/1.5 and if I open a map made in netradiant in 1.6 all brushes that are 0.125units in height get deleted.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-01-2011 10:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think 1.4/1.6 has precision only up to 0.25 units as that's the smallest grid size you can set it to. I'll file some bug reports soon.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 03-01-2011 10:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In case you can also make some suggestions ask for the texture browser of 1.5 and auto caulk for newly drawn brushes.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-01-2011 10:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Please no for 1.5 texture browser :). It stupidly use space for texture directory names. Waste of the space is bad idea.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 03-01-2011 11:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Make it toggleable then. 1.4's texture browser is just slow to work with..

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 03-01-2011 11:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is the option for caulk when using the clipper tool in this version?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-01-2011 11:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, in preferences, editing, clipper uses caulk.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-01-2011 12:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just wanted to say.. This is great work being done,
it'd be great to get the many bugs fixed and maybe even
some badly needed upgrades to Radiant :)

I'd love to put in some feature suggestions, but I guess for
the time being it's best to work on the fixes.

Thanks for the effort!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-03-2011 02:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian, if you're entering bug reports, maybe you could post a feature request for the initial dos box printing a line like "Starting ZeroRadiant for the first time, please wait..."

The amount of time it takes for the editor to start up the first time is illogically long and even computer savvy people will assume something went wrong well before it actually started up.

A simple message displayed in the dos box like that would at least tell me that I should be patient.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-03-2011 02:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It started first and next times in a blink of the eye for me :).

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-03-2011 03:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I assume you're not on Vista or Win7?
Either way, if it starts quickly, then it doesn't matter that such a message would be there would it?

edit:
ofcourse, it would be best if it could start quickly the first time on vista/win7 as well.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-03-2011 10:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A bit of WTF with regards to fixing the slow initial start bug:

Quote:
I tried adding a printf() at the top of main(), but control does not even reach that point when the app pauses. I think the pause is a Windows thing - maybe it's analyzing DDLs it has to load to make sure they don't contain viruses? If the printf() won't print anything until after the pause is completed, I don't know of a smart way to let the user know to just hold on.

Interesting is that once I've waited a minute for Radiant to launch, if I try it again even with newer builds it does not seem to wait, or at least not as long.

I'm not sure if any Windows programmers around here might have any insight.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-04-2011 04:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How i can config ZR for Quake Live? I just need to go in configure games, then choose "Quake III Arena and mods" ?
And provide path in engine directory to "X:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\id Software\quakelive\baseq3"

Like that?

Sorry for my eng :cry:

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 03-04-2011 04:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

QuakeLive doesn't seem to be supported, yet.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-04-2011 04:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, it's bad

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 03-04-2011 05:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
A bit of WTF with regards to fixing the slow initial start bug:

Quote:
I tried adding a printf() at the top of main(), but control does not even reach that point when the app pauses. I think the pause is a Windows thing - maybe it's analyzing DDLs it has to load to make sure they don't contain viruses? If the printf() won't print anything until after the pause is completed, I don't know of a smart way to let the user know to just hold on.

Interesting is that once I've waited a minute for Radiant to launch, if I try it again even with newer builds it does not seem to wait, or at least not as long.

I'm not sure if any Windows programmers around here might have any insight.

Could be caused by one or more static initializers doing first-time configuration, they run before main() does. Grep the source for functions annotated with `__attribute__ ((constructor))` (gcc notation).

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-04-2011 07:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You should probably tell Rambetter about that, I understood exactly this, "Could be caused by one or more... doing first-time configuration, they run before main() does..." :D

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-04-2011 11:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-04-2011 03:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cityy wrote:
QuakeLive doesn't seem to be supported, yet.

You might try something like q3map2 -fs_basepath "<ql path>" -game quakelive "<map location>"
I think that will work.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-04-2011 08:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Umm... no, you can't just make up a quakelive -game parameter and expect it to work with Q3Map2. Q3 and QL .map and .bsp files are the same so you can compile a map for Q3 and just wrap it up in an encrypted .pk3 file and drop it into QL. There are a few other details like texture and sound formats that need converting as well.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-05-2011 05:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The .bsp version for Quakelive and Quake III are slightly different, so wouldn't there possibly be compatibility issues? And I'm not saying there are compatibility issues between bsp version 46 and 47. Lumps could be the same in both versions as far as I know (or care). I am saying that q3map2 will both fail and let you know if there is a version mismatch.

Ummm...as for -game quakelive being an invalid argument, you are wrong. It is quite valid. I get the feeling that it is meant not to be a valid argument, at least for the general public, but that is not the case. After looking at the source I eventually found what I was looking for, though it doesn't seem to be included like q3, et, wolf, and so on:

"quakelive", /* -game x */
"baseq3", /* default base game data dir */
".q3a", /* unix home sub-dir */
"quake", /* magic path word */
"scripts", /* shader directory */
64, /* max lightmapped surface verts */
999, /* max surface verts */
6000, /* max surface indexes */
qfalse, /* flares */
"flareshader", /* default flare shader */
qfalse, /* wolf lighting model? */
128, /* lightmap width/height */
1.0f, /* lightmap gamma */
1.0f, /* lightmap compensate */
"IBSP", /* bsp file prefix */
47, /* bsp file version */
qfalse, /* cod-style lump len/ofs order */
LoadIBSPFile, /* bsp load function */
WriteIBSPFile, /* bsp write function */

Or in q3map.h under "/* game support */":

#include "game_quakelive.h"/* most be after game_quake3.h as they share defines! */

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-06-2011 11:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't understand why people continually talk about "making a map for Quake Live". How is this in any way technically different from making a map for Quake III (Team) Arena?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-07-2011 04:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I don't understand why people continually talk about "making a map for Quake Live". How is this in any way technically different from making a map for Quake III (Team) Arena?

It's not as convenient as Q3 mapping since (among other reasons) Radiant won't read QL encrypted pk3s so you have to manually extract all the textures which is a pain in the ass.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-07-2011 06:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

Its probably more about the current interest level in Quake Live. I don't know how many people are playing QL as opposed to Q3, but it seems like QL has brought some new attention to an old game. Since custom maps can't be used with QL yet, maybe when people talk about mapping for QL, what they really mean is that they want to rip apart the current map paks to check out the architecture or whatever.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-07-2011 06:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

themuffinman wrote:
It's not as convenient as Q3 mapping since (among other reasons) Radiant won't read QL encrypted pk3s so you have to manually extract all the textures which is a pain in the ass.

I assume it uses the same textures as Q3 and TA, apart from some Quake Live branding maybe, or is that not correct? So I still don't see why QL's content being encrypted is a problem. And if the texture names are different, its nothing a simple find/replace won't solve.

I'm just thinking people are using it to come across as "interesting" or something and perhaps they're hoping that their map will somehow be noticed by id Software and be put up in the QL map set.

But lemme tell you this: your* half-assed map intended for QL probably has only a fraction of a chance being included compared to a totally awesome, innovative Q3 map that doesn't mention "Quake Live" anywhere.

*) "your" as in the general public, not muffinman specifically

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-07-2011 08:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
themuffinman wrote:

I assume it uses the same textures as Q3 and TA, apart from some Quake Live branding maybe, or is that not correct? So I still don't see why QL's content being encrypted is a problem. And if the texture names are different, its nothing a simple find/replace won't solve.

I'm just thinking people are using it to come across as "interesting" or something and perhaps they're hoping that their map will somehow be noticed by id Software and be put up in the QL map set.

But lemme tell you this: your* half-assed map intended for QL probably has only a fraction of a chance being included compared to a totally awesome, innovative Q3 map that doesn't mention "Quake Live" anywhere.

*) "your" as in the general public, not muffinman specifically

QL has quite a number of exclusive textures.

Let's put it this way: if you make maps for Q3, nobody will play them because the community is dead. If you map for QL there is that very small chance that your map might be added (unless your name is ShadoW ;) , then it's almost guaranteed to be added) and if it is added then there can actually be people playing your map, maybe even in competitions! What I'm saying is that either way the only enjoyment people will get out of your map is playing against bots, unless your map is added to QL. So why not try to achieve that?

Also, why would a Q3 map have a higher chance of being added to QL than a community QL map? Purgatory is a good example of a community QL map that got added to QL officially. It's got nothing to do with being 'interesting', just moving on with the times.

Another argument is that the Q3 mapping community is also dead compared to 10 years ago, and QL is attracting new people to the game. If we can make QL level design as uncomplicated as possible to get into, then we might be able to get new mapping talent in future. If we have QL players starting out making offline maps for QL (which is possible because once again, all recent Q3 maps are practically offline maps) then it can only be a good thing.

In any case it'd probably be damn easy for whoever's programming Radiant to add proper QL support so why not?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-07-2011 09:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

themuffinman wrote:

QL has quite a number of exclusive textures.

Let's put it this way: if you make maps for Q3, nobody will play them because the community is dead. If you map for QL there is that very small chance that your map might be added (unless your name is ShadoW ;) , then it's almost guaranteed to be added) and if it is added then there can actually be people playing your map, maybe even in competitions! What I'm saying is that either way the only enjoyment people will get out of your map is playing against bots, unless your map is added to QL. So why not try to achieve that?

Also, why would a Q3 map have a higher chance of being added to QL than a community QL map? Purgatory is a good example of a community QL map that got added to QL officially. It's got nothing to do with being 'interesting', just moving on with the times.

Another argument is that the Q3 mapping community is also dead compared to 10 years ago, and QL is attracting new people to the game. If we can make QL level design as uncomplicated as possible to get into, then we might be able to get new mapping talent in future. If we have QL players starting out making offline maps for QL (which is possible because once again, all recent Q3 maps are practically offline maps) then it can only be a good thing.

In any case it'd probably be damn easy for whoever's programming Radiant to add proper QL support so why not?

I don't think adding full support would be very hard. If you load up the source code you can use the other games as a template for adding quake live support, and I really don't think it would be much more than adding a very few lines, as well as including one header. What would be the point though? I think you should shoot for the stars, but if you made the map as if you were making it for Q3, it could very easily be ported to QL later. As far as I know, there is nothing that you can do with QL that you can't do with Q3. If it turned out that the difference between Q3 bsps and QL bsps made it impossible to test QL maps in Q3, then you would be screwed anyway.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-08-2011 01:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

themuffinman wrote:
Let's put it this way: if you make maps for Q3, nobody will play them because the community is dead. If you map for QL there is that very small chance that your map might be added

Well the thing I don't understand is that there's no real technical difference between mapping for Q3 or QL. In both cases you're mapping for id Tech 3, in both cases for basically the same game and the only difference is that QL offers a number of additional textures. Since when is custom textures such a huge deal?

I understand that people make maps intended to be played on Quake Live these days, but I don't understand the whole fuzz about people differentiating between the two. Some people seem to make a big deal out of their map being for Quake Live. I mean, the construction process of a map is identical. The difference only becomes apparent at final compile time, and maybe not even then. So stating that you're mapping for Quake Live and not for Quake 3 seems a bit odd.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 03-08-2011 06:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You wont get your map into QL if it uses custom textures that you did not make - it's a legal issue. At the same time you may not redistribute QL textures with q3 maps. Thus you either make maps for q3 and ql with your own assets or the id textures or you make something exclusively for quake live using their assets.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-12-2011 12:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I ran into a problem with ZeroRadiant (maybe it's a Q3Map2 one).
I started to make the phobos_pack_v1 map Q3Map2 compliant and went to the point i had no more leaks detected.
Then Q3Map2 continued to stop compiling the map but this time whithout any error in the debug window.

I made and remade the map, then some test maps and it all came down to this:
If i put a bevel curve in a map, no matter where, no matter how, Q3Map2 crash on compile (Windows debug report window). If i delete the curve, the map compile.

System used: windows xp 32 bits, sp3, ZeroRadiant v 1.6.2, 21 - Feb 20011.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-12-2011 01:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

quakeIIIarena>quakelive just sayin....

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-13-2011 08:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I still have not had much time to play with this build but I have run into two issues.
Q3map2 repeated stops working when I compile from inside the editor, and also my ase model's material paths are not being read properly, so I'm getting meshes covered in notex. Interestingly models with multiple materials are showing certain textures/shaders in the editor. I'm wondering if only the first material is being read? This was a problem in 1.4 and never in 1.5, so I assume it must be within the 1.4 code.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-21-2011 04:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To those that find bugs with 1.6 don't report them to Rambetter as he has decided to take what seems to be a permanent leave of absence.
Some personal problems, i read his goodbye letter and it made very little sense to me.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-21-2011 04:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, that's rather sad. Hope everything works out okay for him.

And I don't think anyone here really ever sent him an email about 1.6, I was just submitting bugs to the Radiant mailing list.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.