Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Pack of assets for quake3 maps

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Pack of assets for quake3 maps

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-15-2011 05:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was thinking that a pack or several packs of assets made by the community would be great. But the amount of free time needed for that would maybe be too much if we want to reach a minimum of 100 assets per object type. However, if i somehow get the occasion one day to do so, i will make a pack available with some models and textures for whoever might want to grab it....

Note: for the teleporter texture main part i typed "printer" in google.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-17-2011 11:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Great initiative! :q3:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-17-2011 03:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i want your texture set! :D

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-19-2011 05:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I will try to make at least 2 assets each weekend but i wont promise anything

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-19-2011 09:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, that looks great! I'm sure we'll see some sexy maps with these assets.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-19-2011 01:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

WOW, those models as well as the tex's look really sweet. I bet every one around here would kill to use those.
Great effort, definitely both thumps up. From what you have shown here this really is your strength, it's what you shine on. Modeling+Textures.
However,though, from what you presented here it does seem that you do lack some potential in building a whole playable (interesting) q3 map. Your screens always lack the vertical aspect which is very imoprtant to this game. One room needs at least two interestingly connected levels, better 3. A whole map needs 3 generel levels plus 1-3 subdivisions in-between. Just a rule of thump here.

But anyway, those pods really look incredible.
So, there was this site called FPS.brainerd which used to host models and such. He is stil around, though with another site.
I'd suggest find that guy and revive his site with your truly excellent stuff.

And post a link to that finished model here, asap ;).

EDIT: Do you have some shader-work on those pods or the generator? blinking lights or beams or what-not? Just curious.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-20-2011 07:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For this one i'm not sure, it kinda look ugly so i might not keep it in the end, even when it will get its own specific texture. Wait and see...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-20-2011 08:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unfortunately, you have a lot of texture stretching on your models, I suggest you do some UVW unwrapping to get a flattened mesh that you can paint over.

You can probably also save a good 10-20% of polys by simply collapsing some edges where you have mirrored or rotated two halves.

Looks cool otherwise.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-20-2011 08:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I will provide the .gmax files so that if something sucks too much, people will be able to tweak the assets to match their needs.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-20-2011 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, you're using Gmax! Will Gmax save/export to anything else? Gmax files are pretty obscure to anyone else, I'm afraid. Getting it into a more popular file format might be difficult.

For future reference, maybe you will want to give Blender a try if you're looking for a free 3D modeling program as an alternative. It's far more full featured than Gmax (which is also really old and no longer supported) but you just have to redo the typical learning curve when it comes to getting used to a new program.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-20-2011 08:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I dont know. So far here are the infos i could gather on the gmax that is installed on my machine:

gmax v1.2
Cookson MD3 exporter from Pop N Fresh V3
Tempest plugin v4

Export - supported formats with the enumerated plugins above:
. Q3 map files (*.MAP)
. Quake III ( *MD3 )
. Plasma quake (.p3D)

Maybe the p3D one can be used to transfer it to your favorite modeler, i dont know. But however, by providing the gmax files people wont be doomed for ever with an asset that dont suit them.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-20-2011 11:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This one is for the fun. I wont include it.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-21-2011 01:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why not, it's good!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-22-2011 04:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had in mind to create an asset which looked like giant being chained in the middle of a hellish map. But when the polycount is such that you have to export 3 separate model parts for an asset it becomes tedious for users. I have decided to stick with small assets that wont force users to put more than 2 model parts for a single asset.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-09-2011 02:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bonnebez you can't imagine how perfectly timed you created that computer terminal model. I'm eagerly waiting for the release of that asset pack. You really do have some talent in modelling for Q3, nice to see someone engaged/obsessed that much in this field. :up:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-09-2011 02:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The old desk have not been retired from the pack but like for the new desk model, if you need somehting specific we can discuss it. I no longer post in this thread but you can catch me in this thread for the wips: http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45450&start=70. I will try to get an access to internet for the 2 months to come (i must quit my town for the work). If i dont post anything new on the forum in the coming week chances are that i wont post anything new for the 2 months to come.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-09-2011 03:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer! I'll take you up on it in the near future. No need to rush, the perfect timing was related to the fact that I was close to create stuff like this for myself but only for one small project that wouldn't have really payed off at the moment.
Happy moving or whatever wishes are suited in this situation!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.