Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Anima Gaming - DeFrag Competition

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Anima Gaming - DeFrag Competition

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-21-2010 06:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I am starting a competition with Anima Gaming (formerly MIA Gaming) on 1.32 DeFrag. This competition is going to incorporate runs with freestyle.

This is how it will work:

There will be a few rounds (the number depending on how many maps there are) during which players participating in the competition will play 1 run map and 1 'challenge' map. The run map will be like most run maps: strafe from start to finish overcoming obstacles by using weapons or trick jumps (and overbounces). The run maps will be designed to be 25-35 seconds long, and the list of players will be ranked from lowest to highest times.

Then, along with the weekly release of a run map, a 'challenge' map will be released. This will be released in the same pk3 as the run map. A challenge map will have a rather straight-forward freestyle obstacle to overcome that can be measured by height or speed. The person who completes the designated challenge the best (i.e. get the highest speed or height) will get a bit of a bonus on his or her time for that round.

Here is the math of the challenge bonus:

Take the average of the top 3 times for that round:

00:27:336 sec 27.336
00:27:992 sec 27.992 / 3
00:28:272 sec 28.272

=00:27:868 sec

Multiply the average time of the top 3 players by the total amount of players who submitted a time for that round multiplied by 10.

20 players total:

00:27:868 / 200 = 00:00:140 sec

The winner of the challenge will get 00:00:140 sec off of his or her time.

If the challenge winner had a time of 00:28:336 sec - 00:00:140 sec = 00:28:196 sec. This means the player who was in fourth place is now in third place for this round.

Anyway, at the end of the competition, each players' times from each round will be added together, and the person with the least time wins.

There will likely be a reward of some sort for the competition winner(s), but I am not sure what it will be yet.

The point of me posting this here is because I need mappers for the run and challenge maps. So far I have two:

Myself
Framee (who will need a month before he can work on the map)

There is no rush in making the map as fast as possible, but it would be greatly appreciated if anyone should decide to help out. If you do wish to help out feel free to post on this topic, private message me, contact me on xfire (vlnoheaven) or msn (qlanthem@live.com), and join our IRC: #AG.league @Quakenet.

If anyone has suggestions for the competition feel free to post them here as well.

Thank you for reading.

Team Event -O- Horizon

NoGhost Map Making Competition 2 (June 2010)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-25-2010 05:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool.

Everyone is on IRC for this and that's why this thread is so empty, right? :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-25-2010 11:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nope... Nobody wants to map with us. :D

Team Event -O- Horizon

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-25-2010 01:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hmmmmmmmm.... maybe..... hmmm

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-26-2010 01:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Keep it coming, fKd, think more about entering the competition. This can only turn out well. :D If we really scare off other people ( :olo: ) then at least we can have some fun developing our projects within this (not yet) small mapping community for our own needs and pleasure.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-26-2010 02:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you know, if there is a need for a new df map then i just might get into and learn defrag and make one.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-26-2010 05:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a fairly simple mod, really. I can supply the links to DeFrag and a few sample maps that accurately portray what I am trying to do with this competition. If you like, you may also be inclined to look up my clan's freestyle movies on youtube. Search for "Team Event Horizon" and you will get a good demonstration of freestyle.

Team Event -O- Horizon

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 10-27-2010 06:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

try posting on q3df.org board. theres more defrag mappers there then here.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-27-2010 08:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
try posting on q3df.org board. theres more defrag mappers there then here.

^ This.

Also, I'm working on what could be a challenge/freestyle run map right now, except the tricks are linked in one run ATM. It is in the very early stage of developement (only a gameplay map that needs some tuning right now) but maybe we can find a way to have it into seperate rooms, maps or something like that. Contact me on me quakenet or globalgamers for more info ;) .

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-27-2010 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mind if I post this on breakdown?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-27-2010 11:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bliccer wrote:
Mind if I post this on breakdown?

Not at all. Just mention that no mappers = no competition and that this will be a CPM physics competition. :D

Thanks for asking first, by the way.

Team Event -O- Horizon

Last edited by Anthem on 10-27-2010 11:34 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-27-2010 11:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Check your PMs, Anthem. :)

Last edited by deqer on 11-13-2010 10:09 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-27-2010 12:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Posted on bd-hq.com.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-28-2010 08:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just two questions about it : does it have the same mapper that makes the freestyle trick and the run or if i come with only freestye challenge it's ok ?
Second question si from Elco : woul you accept an item collecting map ?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-28-2010 12:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I personally think collecting items is fine, as long as, it's not cheatable (like the last dfwc map with the bfg). But I think elco can handle this very well. He is a great mapper!
A new acc map would be cool!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-28-2010 12:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MidiMightyMoe wrote:
Just two questions about it : does it have the same mapper that makes the freestyle trick and the run or if i come with only freestye challenge it's ok ?
Second question si from Elco : woul you accept an item collecting map ?

If you can only come up with a freestyle challenge, that's fine. We will only release the same amount of freestyle challenges as the number of runs, though.

We will probably base the challenges on quality of the challenge, so if yours isn't as good as another's you may not see it in the competition.

To Elco: An item collecting map is fine. The main requirements of maps that I was to stress is that they look good and are at least 25 seconds long. I don't want any cheating, I just want some nice DeFrag. (:

Team Event -O- Horizon

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 10-28-2010 05:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so do u want like dfwc quality maps or something similar to my speed maps? (the design i mean)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-28-2010 05:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The design doesn't have to be amazing, but I don't want them to be hard on the eyes like r7 maps. As long as they are interesting and appealing then that is fine.

Team Event -O- Horizon

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-29-2010 03:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anthem wrote:
If you can only come up with a freestyle challenge, that's fine. We will only release the same amount of freestyle challenges as the number of runs, though.

We will probably base the challenges on quality of the challenge, so if yours isn't as good as another's you may not see it in the competition.

To Elco: An item collecting map is fine. The main requirements of maps that I was to stress is that they look good and are at least 25 seconds long. I don't want any cheating, I just want some nice DeFrag. (:

Ok thanks for the info. Of course if someone has better map I understand you won't select it, it's just that I have those trick almost ready, while I have virtually nothing for a run :D .

Also, if I would suggest two things :

-1 week is really short, it doesn't let you taht much time to put together both a trick and a run. 1 week map is what we get in DFWC, and it's pretty intense.
- Maybe we could use timers on tricks run as well. The timer would start just after the actual trick adn ends vert shortly after (runs would be <1s or so), so that it doesn't change anything for vertical and horizontal tricks (shorter time = higher speed = bigger height), but it hads the possibility of diagonal trick and kill the possiblity of going higher and airstrafe instead of maximizing horizontal speed.

I'll try my best to put some freestyle challenges together, but as for the run I can't promise anything yet :( .

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-29-2010 04:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didn't mean the maps are to be made in a week, each map will be played for one week by the players participating in the competition. Take as long as you need on the map(s).

Team Event -O- Horizon

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-29-2010 04:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if someone designs the tricks, units between jumps/angles of faces etc, id be happy to do the visuals. since im no defrag pro, but i can make stuff look coolish, that would prolly work out better for ya comp.

so, anyone wanna do a colab?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-29-2010 05:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Collabs are definitely welcome. If someone has ideas then feel free to share with fKd who is a talented detailer at the least.

Team Event -O- Horizon

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 10-30-2010 08:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hmm sounds interesting, if i come up with a good run i might hit you up fkd.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 11-01-2010 07:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1 other question, will mappers be able to participate in this comp as well?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-01-2010 03:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good question ghost =)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-01-2010 04:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't see why one wouldn't be able to participate and make a map. As long as you don't add some sort of secret to finish it quickly, that is. :P

Team Event -O- Horizon

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 11-01-2010 10:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds interesting, I'm in!
@Anthem come on msn i want to talk with you about some stuff... =)

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 12-05-2010 12:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so has any1 made any maps for this yet?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-05-2010 02:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Elco has, I am almost done with mine. Rus7 was, but he released his already, so I guess he's out.

Team Event -O- Horizon

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 12-05-2010 04:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mm i released the map i was working on so i guess i can start on this one.

btw when u have a chance get on msn and accept my request

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 12-06-2010 03:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I started a cpm map, it's half done now, so you can count me in :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-06-2010 03:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awright. That's 4.

Team Event -O- Horizon

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.