Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        alpha level (ffa)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: alpha level (ffa)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-04-2011 04:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I finally had some time to work on an existing alpha layout.

I would be interested in some feedback on layout and item placement.

Everything is temporary, and I very much want to get the flow and gameplay aspects done before I texture and detail.

The scale is maybe a little large, but remember I will detail into the spaces later.

Download:
HERE

Thanks.

Last edited by dONKEY on 02-04-2011 06:03 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-04-2011 04:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dONKEY! Hello buddy, I'll take a look at this later, but what gametype that maps is suppose to be?

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 02-04-2011 04:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played a quick match and I think it is too vertical. The highest level should always be within shaft range for a player on the lowest level IMO. I guess you should get rid of the entire 4th level. Also it reminds a lot of dm6 in the center room - you might want to rethink the layout there. Not saying that it is bad but we've seen too many levels with that MH pit jumppad construction already. However, the general flow felt alright but it suffers a bit from the things I mentioned above.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-04-2011 05:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, I am even out of practice at posting.
The level is for FFA.
The MH area will look different. I'm not decided yet, but I have some ideas how I want to dress the level.
The 4th layer was an idea today. I wanted to get more height and another route from one side to the other. Somehow allowing access from the central jump pad might work, I hadn't though about that.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-05-2011 05:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whoa, map is huuuuuge and opeeeeen :). Well, it can be nice 6v6 CA map. I felt really tiny there, like it's made for giants. Tbh I can't give any real feedback yet, can't really play it as it's now. Tho I don't really like that central room feels like 100% copy of dm6's centre. Even lower doors are placed same way. I understand the idea behind those textures, but tbh It's hard to navigate the map with them, they blend too much. I', always using some base wall textures with different colours for that ;). Somehow I have a impression I've seen it before, or at least some parts of the map, it's new?

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 02-05-2011 05:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He had a different version of the map up for testing here a while back.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-05-2011 07:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ShadoW_86 wrote:
Somehow I have a impression I've seen it before, or at least some parts of the map, it's new?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=44291&p=837200&hilit=#p837200

^^

Team Event -O- Horizon

NoGhost Map Making Competition 2 (June 2010)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-11-2011 02:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree with the height thing; maybe lower the top level and raise the bottom. They're so spread out that you don't really end up fighting between them and the mid levels, which kinda defeats the purpose of having the vertical element I think. I do really like the height variation in the mid levels though.

Also maybe increase connectivity to the top level.

Can't wait to see it detailed, there's a lot of room for cool stuff!

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 02-11-2011 08:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like the fact that it's vertical ... it's different. Everything is mostly flat half of the time. It would be easier to help out and give an opinion if it wasn't all one texture. It all blends together so much that it's hard to see everything ... to me at least. It's pretty wide open, so I think that it would be a railgun overkill map, but I think that it's an interesting layout.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-13-2011 01:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Layout could be fun, but it's realyl hard to tell with such overgrown scale. Scale down whole map with 0.5 factor, and then we can test it properly :).

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-14-2011 04:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks shadow, doesn't really work though as the hallways wud be too tight. I've been working on a new texture set. I think I'll abandon this layout as is and work on a new one using my new textures. Going to be very arena styled, using rusty/decaying textures.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-14-2011 11:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, nobody said that the layout is bad actually ;). Only scale seems to be a little off.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-14-2011 05:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wasn't taking offence or anything :) rescaling works in terms of the height, but the lower corridors were only 192 units wide, so it makes everything to tight. I was thinking to use the plan of this alpha at the correct scale, but rebuild with my new texture set.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.