Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Creating a glow effect

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Creating a glow effect

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-24-2009 01:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What ways are there to create a glow effect in a Quake 3 map?

I am thinking of creating a 32-bit .tga file and using alpha channel. I learn't this from researching and gave it a shot but haven't had any success.

Is there any other ways?

How can I create a correct transparant .tga? I have Photoshop Elements 5 that supports .tga.
Once a .tga texture is complete, does it require a shader?

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 09-24-2009 01:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

only way q3 recognizes a texture as transparent is if it has a black background, maybe white too (some1 correct me if im wrong)..

and yes u will need a shader file for it.. think of it this way,, for any texture that u would want to 'animate' it somehow it will need a shader. only time u dont need a shader if the texture is a still image, and does nothing.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-24-2009 02:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AFAIK q3 fully understands and supports the alpha channels of tga files. So no need for 'black or white backgrounds' at all, just use a program supporting alpha channels (like photoshop does).

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-24-2009 02:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Both answers can be correct. For visible transparent areas you need to use a texture with an alpha channel and the appropriate script. For glow effects you would use a base texture and a separate glow texture on a black background and the appropriate shader to blend the two image and information on how you want the blend to appear. Again the shader manual will guide you. You can of course have a transparent texture and glowy bits on the same texure if you want, but again you need the appropriate script. Hipshot's advice in your other thread was sound. Find a shader that is almost what you want, then edit it to suit your needs...obviously renaming it and saving it in a separate shader file.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-24-2009 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For a glow effect, you don't need a .tga with alpha channel, a simple additive .jpg will do. An additive texture (blendFunc add) will add non-black colour values to whatever is in the frame buffer.

The only time you need a .tga file with alpha channel is when you want some pixels to be opaque while others are transparent (blendFunc blend). For example, grates, window frames with shiny glass behind it, plants, rocky textures that blends to dirt, etc.

Regardless, you will certainly need a shader. Manual in my signature below.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-27-2009 01:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool, thanks man!

Do you know how to make a texture partially transparent, like 50%?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-27-2009 01:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Let me see if I've got this right.

I create a .tga with my graphics, and leaving the area I want transparent black... Then in an alpha chanel I set the colour 0/0/127 (255/2=127.5.. Round off 127) for it to have 50% opacity?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-27-2009 02:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ye gray is 50% trans

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-27-2009 02:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool, thought I got it figured... Now I am trying to figure out how to get Photoshop Elements 5 to fricken work... I am following the manual on selecting alpha channel, but it is not working. I hate Adobe I swear they can't program for shit I don't care what innovations they've come up with.. Corel are way better!

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 09-27-2009 02:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You don't need to leave any area in the RGB space black, you control transparency only through the alpha.
And why don't you use photoshop instead of elements, then?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-27-2009 02:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can't afford it and even if I could I wouldn't use it as I don't role with product activation.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-27-2009 02:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

get gimp or so then it's free

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-27-2009 02:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unstable... and before you say it, IrfanView is also a peice of shit.. Every second thing you toggle tells you to 'install a plugin to use this feature' or what ever.

I will eventually get a quality image editor from Corel, but until then I am stuck with this unstable, purposly unoptimized & poorly designed peice of shit produced by Adobe; Photoshop Elements 5.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-27-2009 03:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes gimp is pure shit and you can't do anything in that program without a crash. Only idiots and morons would ever use a program that crashes occasionally!! or wait all somewhat advanced programs can crash sometimes. Learn to deal with it!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-30-2009 05:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

g0th- has a point: If an authoring program crashes often, you just save often.

I suggest Paint Shop Pro, though.

Also, you might find that older versions of a program are more stable. Some have several versions to choose from on one page with one or more denoted as "stable".

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-30-2009 06:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I use gimp regularly. I've yet to see it crash. Stop using it improperly :(

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.