Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        release, or kinda: ospdm8a

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: release, or kinda: ospdm8a

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 09-26-2008 06:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When I did ospdm8 I had to rush it a lot so it could make it into the osp deadline. A long time after that I decided I was bored enough of its uglyness for fixing it, even if it was for myself (osp team was inactive by then), so I did it.

Since then, the "fixed" version has been sitting in my HD (and a few friends HDs), only used to watch some ospdm8 demos and not feeling embarassed of the looks. Voodoochopsticks suggested once to post it here, but my old account was gone, so I didn't bother. Since I did a new one I think it's worth doing it now.

It's a classic gothic styled map, with short triscount. Comments are welcome (tho I don't think I would bother modifying it again, but comments can always be used for newer maps).

Download

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 09-26-2008 07:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thats some awesome clean texturing, looks great!

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 09-26-2008 07:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very Nice! Quite a surprise :D

ospdm8 has always been one of my favorites, next to ospdm6 and ospdm12. I've always hung onto jalt1/jalt2 also. Very cool, but it kinda sucks that there isn't a botfile though. :smirk:

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 09-26-2008 10:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, give us some bots!

And yes, quite a surprise indeed. :)

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 09-28-2008 04:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that map's design doesn't allow you to sit around looking at the walls.
it was good as is , if there were flaws i was too busy to notice.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 10-24-2008 10:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no chance of an aas file?

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 10-28-2008 01:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but I can't. I don't have all the stuff installed and setup for Q3 mapping since a long time ago, and I'm too busy with other things to do it.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-28-2008 05:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What about someone else from the community having it done for you?
Me for example but I'm not exceptionally good at creating perfect .aas-files, so worst-case scenario is screwing up gameply in your map, but maybe someone else is willing to do it? That is, only if you want this... :shrug:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-28-2008 12:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Send all your dev files to me and I'll compile one.

Nice lighting overall, good use of that alphashadow effect with the grate. Only suggestion is to use some filtering on a few walls where you have those zigzag jaggy shadow edges.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-29-2008 12:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been playing 1v1 games on OSPDM8 for a long time and like the map quite a bit, so it was an interesting surprise to find this topic.

On OSPDM8 there's a ledge here - where the scrosshair is pointing - which can be used to jump across to the right or back, i.e. without touching the ground floor.
Please put it back.

Also, in OSPDM8, it's possible to fall down there safely (without falling damage) by landing on a ledge on the wall where the crosshair is pointing. I would like this back aswell. I use this in matches all the time, and I think I would get annoyed with it not being there.

As for the visuals in and of themselves, some things are improved over the original, some things were better in the first place (which isn't to mean that they couldn't be improved on :) ). Overall, then, the visuals are interesting only because they are new, rather than inherently good. Well, not exactly; it is nice to have a bit more detail, for example on the teleporter.

I was glad to see you decided to improve the look of the map, but disappointed to find that you have changed the geometry.

While the lighting is more colourful, some areas of shadow are particularly dark.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 10-30-2008 01:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, if anyone has the courage to help... :)

I let the mapfile here: http://jal.quakedev.com/stuff/ospdm8a_mapfile.zip

But be warned. It's a brush primitives map file, it won't open with gtkradiant. Of course it works perfectly fine with the compilers, but it has to be launched by cmd-line.

Thnx in advance.

DTS: Right. Forgot about those :( But I don't think I'll fix them. If QL was going to accept custom maps I probably would, but all I know by now is it won't (I hope I'm wrong, tho).

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 10-30-2008 06:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

great. If someone does an aas file, could they please post in this thread. cheers.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 01-23-2010 02:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

jal_ wrote:
DTS: Right. Forgot about those :( But I don't think I'll fix them. If QL was going to accept custom maps I probably would, but all I know by now is it won't (I hope I'm wrong, tho).

QL Beta testers aren't supposed to say anything about it here, so all I can say is check the QL forums.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 01-23-2010 08:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm... anyone still interested in an .aas bot file?

Took me 1 minute to compile it... the bots play it "relatively" well, considering several areas are not really accessible to them, e.g. do a TP jump over the lava gap, grab the RA, jump over the water "gap" near the MH to reach the JP on the other side, to mention only a few.

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 01-23-2010 10:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes..very much so, I love this map

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 01-24-2010 02:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Simply unpack the .zip into the baseq3\ folder to add the separate map_ospdm8a_aas.pk3 bot navigation file for ospdm8a:

For FFA I'd recommend adding another two bots like Doom, and Anarki to the default Hunter.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-19-2010 10:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why does it say my previous message in this thread (prior to this one) was;

"Posted: 01-23-2010 02:50 AM";

when it was posted in 2008, when jal_ posted his message in this thread, that it was a reply to?

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 02-20-2010 03:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's cause I hitted the "bump" button. I didn't want to, and I didn't find any way to undo it.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-20-2010 04:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What bump button? Where is it?

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 02-20-2010 04:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No idea. I had never seen it before, and I never saw it again. Maybe it only appears when you find the thread using the search function.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-20-2010 08:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you clicked on it, why do you have no idea where it was? Sounds like BS to me.

Anyway, now that QL is out of beta, I can tell you this:

The original OSPDM8 is fine except it could do with the LG being replaced with the CG which is present in QL. This would make it like I presume the original Q2 version was, according to the readme for OSPDM8, which says the LG replaced the Q2 CG there.

I'd really like to have the PG there somewhere [Edit: I mean somewhere in the map] too (in the OSP version I would prefer the PG there [Edit: replacing the LG], since I don't like the LG), but I presume there's no way to fit an extra weapon into the design.

Course, you'd have to put ad boards in there somewhere, but I suppose you have already realised that.

I'm not too keen on QL any more, though, since they seem to have lost my account and when I tried getting my password emailed to me the final button to click did nothing.

I'm into CQ3 in CPMA now. I think that the armour system in CQ3 makes OSPDM8 especially good, since it was based on a Q2 map and Q2 had different armour types. (I used to play CQ3 in OSP a lot, then switched to OSP VQ3 once I'd become convinced that the dynamic MH spawn time unbalanced the game, then CPMA VQ3, then CPMA CQ3 when I found out they had changed the MH spawn to VQ3 style.)

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 02-20-2010 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
If you clicked on it, why do you have no idea where it was? Sounds like BS to me.

LOL. Why would I lie about that? I clicked unintentionally, was trying to click the bookmark button to get the post url, so I guess it was around there, but don't really remember it.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-23-2010 11:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS has mental problems, don't let him rile you up. As far as we know, he can't help it.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-23-2010 07:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

I remember this map, I had many fun times on it. Cool to see you re-worked it :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.