Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        pesky bot problems

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: pesky bot problems

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-08-2008 04:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

k I made thees 2 elevators in my map one goes up the other goes down I had a problem with them gathering around the down at the bottom of the elevator one it was in a kind of hall way and thay would just sit thair lol, until I read a few articals on thees forums now I have a new problem I cant get them to use the down platform ;( is thair somthing I could do to draw them onto the platform or is the donotenter going to stop them from even exiting the hall way if thay do go down?
AlsoI have a train is thair any way to get them to use it and my jump platforms?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-09-2008 12:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

donotenter is a suggestion... they will enter if forced or if reasonable. balancing bots in such situations to get desired behavior can be extremely difficult

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 08-09-2008 03:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

item_botroam with a heavy weight sometimes helps, though I wonder how well it will work on a moving platform.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-09-2008 06:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

func_plats were never properly implemented in Q3 (hence the annoying default moving sound) due to terminal bot problems. you're better off avoiding them, and using bouncepads instead

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-11-2008 03:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok I get this error now (Fatal: empty ass link heap) any ideas what this is?

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 08-11-2008 03:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thair might b a problm with the ass file lol

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-11-2008 05:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also was woundering does botroam have to be linked to somthing casue I created 2 and gave them both a wieght of 800 just trying to figure out how the botroam works to no sucess

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-11-2008 05:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

once again a simple google search

"Fatal: empty .aas link Heap

You have a very complex structure in your map and it's causing problems for the bots. (QER)"

are you converting your complex brushes to detail brushes?
hope that helps...

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-11-2008 05:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I should do that first but I just figure the game is soo old no one would still have info on it I did find the site but it gives no fix to this so Ill jsut try and rebuild the map and see if I can keep it to a point ;(
thank you fkd

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-11-2008 06:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but are you converting brushes to detail brushes?
ctrl + m to convert structural to detail .

(on a side note) it helps to press ctrl + d which hides em in the editor and go around and eliminate those suckers till ya map looks simple as. (i just found this out the other day and it saved me a lot of time wondering what i had or had not converted)

hope this helps ya save it

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-12-2008 05:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hmm Ill have to try that and no I didnt know it either this is my very first map and everything ive learned to do has been by myself or with help of thees great forums

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.