Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Gensurf

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Gensurf

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-12-2008 06:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi, ive been trying to get an outdoor-like map, and the tools on radiant are not sufficient. Then, i heard about Gensurf. It had a link to the gensurf website, and that had a link to a website called atomicgamer.com. I clicked on the Q3Radient 197 plugin download, and i had an 18 minute wait to the public queue. I finally got into the queue and started the download. The download took 3 seconds. Ironic. :down: :owned: . When i opened the .zip, to my horror, i had downloaded a unreal tournament skin pack!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused: :confused: WTF. I tried the standalone version, and again, it was another unreal tournament skin pack!! Can someone tell me where to get this, avoiding broken download links and stuff. I tried fileplanet and filefront, was'nt on there. Hell. Can somone post a decent link, or e-mail me an attachment of gensurf (if so, prefferably archived, plz :up: ) my adress is mcelf@live.co.uk.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 08-12-2008 08:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gensurf was a very, very primitive tool which I seriously doubt anyone would use nowadays. Honestly, don't bother with it.

If you want to do vanilla, regular triangle-grid terrain you're much better off hunting for Easygen which is far superior.

Overall though I would recommend reading sock's terrain articles. All of sock's terrain is created using the standard tools in radiant, and I suspect you'll find some techniques you haven't considered described on his site.

http://www.simonoc.com/pages/articles.htm

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-14-2008 04:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

K, :cool: thanks, i finally managed (after 20 minuets of searching for non-broken downloads, no Unreal Tournament 2 skins luckily), i got easygen and i used the tips from that link (thank's shallow! :up: ) but when i made my grayscale bitmap of my map on and i got the alphamap i wanted (i opened a JPEG grass texture in paint.net and downloaded a plugin for paint.net so i could save it again as a .pcx extension, so i could use it as an alphamap. When i exported it as a .map, though, i opened radiant to compile it and put a skybox, lights, info_player_start etc. (and yes, i did know you can make easygen put a spawn point in.) thanks for the help!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.