Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Solar Public Beta

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Solar Public Beta

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 11-17-2007 09:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello again :paranoid:

http://www.zfight.com/misc/files/q3/solar.rar ~17MB

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Bots are working, not the best, I know they won't use the TP anyway... they do take the MH, but it's VERY rare.

From the Readme:
============
Could be VISed better.
Sorting errors in the water.
Comets might flicker now and then.

Good Night again :dork:

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 11-18-2007 08:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You are a freak hipshot. A big, mapping, freak.

Downloading :)

Beggar@Q3W
Beggar@Q3W
PostPosted: 11-18-2007 07:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As far as glancing at screenshots, some of the layout looks similar to your previous posts.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34005
Must download later.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-19-2007 07:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you could just a little more light in the area right about where you were standing in the corner to take that last shot (looking at the RA), I think it would make a world of difference. Other than that I love it, it rolls nice and smoothly on my system (AMD 2000XP+, NVidia 256MB 5600GS, 1 Gig of Ram), unlike History which is touch and go.

Thanks for sharing this with us Hipshot :)

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 11-19-2007 10:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is a great map! I'm a little amazed with some of it..especially the sky, and the r_fastsky sky also. I'm actually quite a dumbfounded with it......some ownage!

Beggar@Q3W
Beggar@Q3W
PostPosted: 11-20-2007 12:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot, I like the theme of this map, especially color scheme.
How were you inspired like that?
Or is there any source image for reference?
And what do you call it if you are asked for the name of this theme?

2ndly launch pad is cool.
How did you set it up?
Is it controlled by deformVertices or a collection of planes with rgbGen wave?

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 11-24-2007 07:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

a13n wrote:
Hipshot, I like the theme of this map, especially color scheme.
How were you inspired like that?
Or is there any source image for reference?
And what do you call it if you are asked for the name of this theme?

2ndly launch pad is cool.
How did you set it up?
Is it controlled by deformVertices or a collection of planes with rgbGen wave?

It's a mix of two old maps and old ideas. Jump pads and teleporter are made from deform vertex and rgbGen wave combined. I don't think I have a name for the theme I think =)

Beggar@Q3W
Beggar@Q3W
PostPosted: 11-25-2007 12:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot, I see.
One more impressive thing is that you are achieving this theme by combining some of the baseq3 textures, rather than resorting to full custom texture set! (wittier IMO)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 12-07-2007 06:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had a quick run through the map and i love the atmosphere. It has a nice fresh feeling :)
And the skybox is superb. How did you do it (besides the fake portal sky things).
I mean only the 6sided skybox. What programs did you use ? Or is it some kind of mystic secret technique that nobody is allowed to know ? ;)

Great work!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-07-2007 07:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not so much amazed at the speed at which he puts out maps, so much as how fast it takes him to make a bunch of custom textures. Textures for me, takes forever.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-16-2009 03:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Feedback I... Pathing

To start off, the map actually does not really need any fixing and could be called final as it is IMO. Wonderful sky portal, and lighting, interesting layout that the bots on hardcore play well. But I have a few idea / suggestions that might or might not have some merit.

General thoughts (things I always look out for in maps), the paths on each level (i.e. upper, middle, lower): Are the paths continuous? Can I stay on this height level or am I forced to change levels? I.e. JPs usually break up this flow, APs speed up the flow on that level, or allow fluid transitions from one level to the next.

On paths: I really like the upper path level in this map... nice and sunny, you have many paths, and several alternate paths. The middle path (above water) IMO is too cut off, you can basically run the RA room in a circle, and then move around a bit in the central area. You cannot stay on that level. The lower level (water) connects the 3 areas LG, Quad, and main arena. But you cannot e.g. get to the LG pool directly from the main arena pool (not sure you need to though).

Premise: Gut reaction for me is, I hate water, its slow and "wet ;), and I feel vulnerable and trapped". So I usually totally avoid that area. But concerning pathing one would probably need to combine middle and lower path to get around in the lower areas of the map. OK, enough babble, some practical suggestions:

a) I would really like to see your wooden planks placed across the gap to the TP. IMO, that would not only look good (interesting deco + shadows), but also help the bots actually reach the teleporter. Your less skilled players will also appreciate this. One narrow plank should do the job, plus bot clipping to help them get to the TP.

b) In the Quad pit, when you surface, you are basically trapped in this area (if you do not consider using the underwater path or want to leave via RA area. I think another wooden plank, on the wall under the fan, would be great to help folks RJ (rocket jump) out of that "pit", to make it possible to directly reach the upper level.

c) The path to the PG has a "break" in the railing, letting you jump down into the stairs below. Placed in the way indicated in green, 3 planks would allow a shortcut over to the TP. The current path to the TP, IMO, is not used that much, though the YA is an incentive to take that route.

d) Every time I see your "indented" wall decorations in this map I hope to find another path :)... a bit disturbing. Instead of c) a path from the PG to the TP might be an option (don't really favor that idea, but mentioning it just the same, I would prefer c)).

e) On middle paths... the little gray ramp, right of main arena, on the middle level (above the water line) suggests that there could or should be a path through the two ventilators in the wall. The idea could be to create a mid-level connect from the main area to the LG arena creating a third way to get into that arena (1. water, 2. JPs, 3. mid-level "tube connection"). Presently you have the take the fast but long, JP route to get the the LG arena "quickly".

1) Alas this mid-level ledge presently is only used for a JP. With e) it would become the start/endpoint of a mid-level "run". Maybe.

2) Just occurred to me a plank at the northern wall, could let the player get to the RG from the TP area a). Might be interesting to have that alternate path to get to the RG. Presently you have to take the long round-about yellow path, or you rocket jump.

Flatter Water: Another idea for the more water-phobic player could be to use "flat" water (like for the RA), to then create a continuous path on the mid-level. That's something I would probably do, no swimming, and yes it would be a much work...

There are probably very good reasons to not consider any of the above, but it is fun to speculate on alternate additional paths. I am definitely hoping for a) and b)... maybe c) and 2). The break in the wall e) might really get ugly.

Next: Very minor correction suggestions.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-16-2009 07:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Feedback II... General Suggestions

Visually friendly map, the outdoor upper-level areas are all fine, quite beautiful with the sunny lighting actually, but some of the lower areas do tend to be more dark and dank, especially the RA area. I'd suggest adding a few windows here, and also to the water basin, to have sky light flood into those areas. Especially an underwater window view (near the quad) would be something "new" IMO. If there is a issue with the "sky portal", the windows might be angled upwards in these areas? Personally I'd love something like that.

Things of special note:
  • Overall really fun, fast gameflow, beautiful map that also plays well, lvlworld better give this a 9/10 at least :).
  • Really nice weapon respawn textures, and the sky portal is awesome.
  • Pity that firing the LG in water no longer electrocutes everyone, like in Quake ;)... that used to be hilarious. The Quad in water, making it "hard to get" is a good idea.
  • Weapon and item placement seems to be just fine.

a) Main area JP has sparklies on the edges (both sides).

b) Interesting asymmetry, I'd have expected the respawn texture to be surrounded by the same texture on all sides. This is probably an artistic thing right? :)

c) When looking at the tris I noted that the main area JP's back wall (patch) has an extra row of tris at the lower end, these are never seen though. To save a few tris one could delete those. (Or was this a nessary sparklies fix?)

d) The respawn texture are really nice, alas compared to the other textures here, "too" detailed. Not sure what to do here, lo-res the respawn textures on purpose maybe? Hmmm... probably not.

e) Noted that you can pass behind the TP. I am not so sure this is a good thing. I'd suggest clipping off the complete back area of the TP. Once that is done many of the back-side textures can be caulked.

f) This is the first AP that actually visually tells the player what he is in for. Very cool idea per se. And has the advantage that you can actually look down, a normal AP would block the view. But I still think this JP design here looks out of place. Maybe build a special acceleration pad instead?

a) As mentioned the "happiness" factor down here with the RA would be a lot higher if some sunlight (sky portal view) were available. If you are out for RA camping, at least it sound be nice there ;).

b) Other side of the RA area would also look nice with a window.

c) Another one "could" be placed here in the top level corner (well one could easily do without, just a thought).

d) The suggested (feedback I) wooden planks, here would let you get over to the TP (from the PG walkway).

e) Plank bridge to get to the TP, and help bots actually reach the TP.

f) Wooden plank to let folks rocket jump out of the quad pit (maybe).

a) Oops, duplicate image.

b) This "indented" wall screams to be a pathway to the PG ;) (maybe).

c) When you strafe jump from the RL around this corner, you will gain so much speed that you will be "clobbered" into the pit down to the RA. Moving the tube-stairs to the left could help.

d) The longer I look at that wall, the more I would love a path via ventilator that leads to the LG arena... please 8-). I mention this because the mid-level LG area is practically dead. You either use the upper-level paths or jump right *into* the water most of the time.

e) Near the GL some sparklies.

f) I really like the wooden planked TP, the pad itself is a bit hard to recognize as TP, IMO. A vertically placed "sheet" (like a mirror), in red, that fades in and out might be more suggestive?

Misc thoughts:
    1. I am still thinking about getting out of the RA room more quickly, maybe a 2nd teleport (where the "glass door" would be) might help, maybe.
    2. A texture for the armor respawn points would be nice? The YA and RA - simply floating somewhere off the floor - feel a bit "lost".
    3. Nitpicking: I am not sure about the design of the JPs or their color. Maybe because I don't really like the glaring green, and would prefer an orange tone. But this is obviously only a matter of personal preference.
    4. Hint brushed?, did you look into those yet?

Hope all this is at least in some way useful. Anyway I love speculating on level design.

Last edited by AEon on 08-17-2009 09:06 AM, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Showing same image 3 times, fixed.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.