Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        New to Weapon Modeling

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: New to Weapon Modeling

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-29-2008 04:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I'm a pretty average modeler, and want to pursue in making custom weapon models for Quake 3 Arena. I have the model making part done, its what comes afterward that I have a problem with. I use lightwave 9, but I've read that its not recommended. What programs should I use and what do I do after?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-29-2008 05:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-29-2008 05:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not sure if Kat has anything on weapon modeling, he mostly does map object models.

IIRC, you have to tag your weapon (so the game knows where the "handle" of the gun is). Then export to ASE, write a .qc file, and use Q3DATA.exe to convert the .ase and .qc file to an .MD3 model. That's the brief workflow of it, anyway.

It might be easier if you can find a .MD3 export or converter program to do the dirty work for you. I think Milkshape 3D comes with it built in, but don't take my word for it.

Sorry if this has been a little vague and lacks detail, but it's been years since I've tried to do any weapon models. It's mostly just map objects for me.

You can also try posting on the Polycount forums, they do more player model work there.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-30-2008 03:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Man I wish i was making models for Quake 3 again... I don't mean to sound like a big head but once you move onto Doom 3/Quake 4 style .md5mesh and .md5anim files, it makes .md3 weapon models look like kids toys...

Wow... Imagine, not animating the weapon, just making a static weapon model, and maybe a part that rotates... Wow... Fun times... Oh and smoothing groups, did I even mention how much I HATE .md5 smoothing groups...?

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 05-30-2008 10:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cool o'dium what a useful post

as far as the op's question, gmax + tempest is still available (but not from autodesk) at turbosquid, http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-31-2008 08:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I sincerely appreciate your help and your time. Are there any other programs that can create my models into .md3 files?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-01-2008 10:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q3DATA.exe is the program written by id Software for just the task. It's not very user friendly since it's just a command line tool. There are also a bunch of export plugins for various modeling programs that should be a little more intuitive.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-09-2008 01:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Isn't the "Serious Editor" from Croteam's Serious Sam - The Second Encounter working with .md3? As far as I remember that programme was quite easy to cope with but I'm not sure if it serves your special interests any good...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.