Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        [q3a] afk beta1 (tourney)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: [q3a] afk beta1 (tourney)

The Ancient One
The Ancient One
PostPosted: 10-18-2007 11:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's an old map I had started 4 years ago but decided to track it down (I lost all my copies) and try to fiish it up.

This is made with CPMA in mind.
I'd like comments on layout and item placement. I'm still working on lighting/texturing and structural details atm.

Screenshot:

> Download (3.8 megs)

Thanks in advance.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-18-2007 12:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whoa... good to see you posting here again, EL... and with a WIP!

*Downloads*

Edit: Quick run around the map (in vQ3, don't have CPMA installed) and here are some thoughts:

* Teleporter textures could look more... err... teleportery.
* Sky textures, I suppose are still a WIP?
* RA and YA are super close together, they're literally a single floor apart and you can just jump down.
* I liked the teleporter jump to the second floor by the spinning fan. I think that fan texture would do well for some jump pad.

I haven't tested it against players, maybe if you move those armours around a bit, I'll give it another go in CPMA competitive style. That's my major complaint. Other than that, nice map. Needs more detail, but I'm sure you'll fix that.

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 10-18-2007 07:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was kind of wondering if you were going to stay with your eQ2 textures, or maybe change it a little. I dunno..I've kind of turned into a fan of your eX textures..as I think both of them go together well. Just wanted to mention that=)
About the item/weapon layout.. it's pretty difficult for me to think of it different, as I've been playing this map for like 3 years or so..I'm just used to the way it is I guess.
I recommend people play this with promode enabled!! It's unplayable in vq3...well, just the tele-jumps. I'm really glad that your back at workin on this map. I always thought that it would have been a good cpm-mappack map.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-18-2007 09:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah, I can reach everything in the map without promode, including telejumps. But yes, it would be easier and more fun in promode.

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 10-18-2007 11:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Man, what an awesome map. The layout is just great. I played it with bots for 15 minutes, and it was fun as hell!

The Ancient One
The Ancient One
PostPosted: 10-19-2007 07:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian, I'll look into what you mentioned. Any ideas where the armor would be better? I'll rearrange the armor for next beta.

v1l3, I'll most likely stick to the eQ2 set, eX is for quake 4. BTW thanks again for sending me the map. :up:

ALMighty, Thanks :)

Any other layout and item problems? I want to get the layout nailed before adding too much details.

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 10-19-2007 08:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Absolutely..I've liked the map from it's birth so.. no problem.

About the eX texture pack...I reviewed a map quite a while back, over at ..::LvL. I've played it quite a but because I've liked the way it looks, and it uses those textures. I figured they were for use in Q3 also. The review and download are here
If you get some spare time, you should check it out if you get a chance.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-20-2007 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It looks very washed out.

I agree about the teleporters; they could look a bit more like teleporters. I got used to them over the course of a 15 minute game, though. (It looks strange going into something that looks like a wall.)

Also, it looked a bit too brown. I don't like brown at all, though.

It's good that you used steps and a (relatively fast) lift. I don't like bouncepads and something I don't like about some maps is that they have bouncepads going everywhere.

The steps seem too small, though. They're smaller than the ones in the original Q3A maps. It doesn't seem to affect gameplay, though, so it seems to be just a visual thing.

Shame the bots don't get the MH. (Or do they? I didn't notice them getting it, they did wander around under the MH a bit but didn't seem to go round to the lift to drop down onto it.)

I like the bit you have where you can jump up to the RL instead of going up the steps to it.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-20-2007 05:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
Also, it looked a bit too brown. I don't like brown at all, though.

Shame the bots don't get the MH. (Or do they? I didn't notice them getting it, they did wander around under the MH a bit but didn't seem to go round to the lift to drop down onto it.)

The textures are based off a Quake II theme, and Quake II was, well... very brown.

Lifts sort of never really worked for vQ3, it was using legacy code and was never really finished for Q3, since it didn't need them. Bots would look at them and scratch their synthespian heads. Most people just use a vertically opening func_door for vQ3. If running CPMA, they were fixed to work properly, though I'm not sure if CPMA bots use them properly.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-21-2007 09:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
The textures are based off a Quake II theme, and Quake II was, well... very brown.

Q2 wasn't as brown as that. (Q1 was very brown.)

Maybe it's partly to do with the yellow lighting? Q2 had orange lighting. Also, dark orange looks like brown. Maybe you saw the dark orange of the orange lighting and thought things were more brown than they were. I could differentiate between the colour of the lighting and what was being lit (I think) so I could tell things weren't that brown. Grey lit with orange-ish light, mostly.

Actually I didn't think of the lighting as coloured at the time, it wasn't until later that someone working on a Q2 source engine mentioned that the lighting in Q2 was very orange that I thought of the lighting in Q2 as being orange-ish.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 10-21-2007 09:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
Maybe it's partly to do with the yellow lighting? Q2 had orange lighting.

I thought it was yellow :(

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 10-23-2007 08:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good to see you around these parts again EL :)
Grabbing now and will try to give you some feedback soon. Will take me a little longer now though since I have been on dial up ever since I moved from up north down to the big "T".

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.