Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Pain of Perplexity (beta)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Pain of Perplexity (beta)

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 10-22-2006 06:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BETA
I hope the only major bug is that it lacks optimization... For some reason, my hint brushes failed to work (?). And the terrain might be to advanced.
Stupid _hurt is a bit high should not affect gameplay though, even if it feels _very_ close on the haste terrain.
The planks by the RA is a bit iffy to walk under... need to duck even though it feels high enough to walk.

1vs1 work pretty good. 3-4 FFA work too. Bots works so-so. Too many players, human, tend to stack by the tele-exit/RA/RL.
Played alot at the office, probably my most played and ready map before public release.

->>> http://www.zfight.com/misc/files/q3/hipshot_dm6.rar <<<-- 20MB

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

([overline]noted some itembugs, gonna fix that and in all quietness change the file =) But it's there until I switch so[/overline]

ed: seems there are some stupid clip errors, well, places that should have been restricted but aren't, so I'll make a bigger update and reposts when done.)

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 10-22-2006 08:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this map is very cool

I enjoyed playing it with a buddy 1v1, even though I've never been a fan of maps where you die by falling off the edge

I did notice two small issues, took screens...

first, on a clean q3 install the praying xaero statue seems to have a broken shader:

second the portal camera for the teleporter seems to be oriented upside-down (maybe this is intentional, but it looked weird to me):

overall this is a pretty cool map, another quality release from hipshot

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-22-2006 09:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree, the map is very cool and very different than your normal Q3 fare. Haven't gotten to play it against anybody yet, but the layout looks quite fun as well.

Noticed a few things:

-lots and lots of 5h's and shards everywhere, maybe too much?

-like you said, the trigger_hurt brush might be a little too high

-I could get up here w/ a rocket jump:

At first I was going to say clip that off, but then I started thinking it might be cool if you textured it, made a little 'break' in the fence on each side, and leave it as an alternate route from RA.

-Had a bunch of issues when I went to vertex lighting. You probably know about these already, but just letting you know in case you don't. :)

(fence/sky)

(stained glass windows)

(portal)

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 10-22-2006 09:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awsome map hipshot! I like the green doorways, stained glass, the cresent moon lights, and the quake1 decal in the fence. The only suggestion I have is for the fences, maybe put a few rocket clips so if someone gets pinned down there you can hit the fence to knock them off the edge.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 10-22-2006 09:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rgoer wrote:
first, on a clean q3 install the praying xaero statue seems to have a broken shader

Thanks, I did not know this. I know however why it's like that. I had two X-models in my models dir, I didn't know which one to choose to I guess I picked the custom wrong one.

rgoer wrote:
second the portal camera for the teleporter seems to be oriented upside-down (maybe this is intentional, but it looked weird to me):

Looks strange yes. BUT I don't have it like that at all. I test all my maps in a clean .32 folder with no extras whatsoever and I have a normal tilted portal, same goes for work and my other friends. Very odd, I don't know how to fix this so that it won't be tilted for me.. hmm hmm...

wviperw wrote:
-lots and lots of 5h's and shards everywhere, maybe too much?

-I could get up here w/ a rocket jump:

..//.. "Vertex"

# Yea, I've been thinking that there's to much small items. They are practicly everywhere, atleast feels like that. I'm gonna wait and see what other says about it.

# I know, my friend found out playing CPMA like 5 mins after I posted here, a shame really. I'm gonna try and put out a fixed beta later. Maybe I can solve the VIS problem then too... seems models with origins inside structures causes problems... I think that is why my hint/skip brushes won't work.

# Didn't test with vertex. However I know that the sky won't be fixable in that mode. I don't think vertex supports the same shaders or something. The vertex alpha thing...

Quack wrote:
..//..

I know. Fun ain't it =) No, it's not. Sometimes, people with skill tends to walk on them and it's almost impossible to hit them with rockets. I'm gonna see to that problem...

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 10-22-2006 11:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
Looks strange yes. BUT I don't have it like that at all. I test all my maps in a clean .32 folder with no extras whatsoever and I have a normal tilted portal, same goes for work and my other friends. Very odd, I don't know how to fix this so that it won't be tilted for me.. hmm hmm...
Ahh you are right--when I noticed the portal problem I was playing the map in RA3, just now I tested it again in VQ3 and CPMA and the portal seems fine. It must be an issue with RA3 and not your map. Cheers, sorry for the mix-up.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 10-22-2006 01:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

File's updated.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 10-22-2006 03:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rgoer wrote:
Hipshot wrote:
Ahh you are right--when I noticed the portal problem I was playing the map in RA3, just now I tested it again in VQ3 and CPMA and the portal seems fine. It must be an issue with RA3 and not your map. Cheers, sorry for the mix-up.

Portals are THE GHAEY in RA3 as opposed to Vq... The entity is different and consequently the whole shebang is upset.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 10-22-2006 03:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Specifically... They fixed the problem of portals shaking intrinsically in Q3 but since this was not retroactively applied to Q3 it's a worthless and even detrimental addition.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 10-23-2006 12:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

File's updated. (trigger_hurt)

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-07-2007 04:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Excellent map :rtcw:

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-07-2007 07:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow...Very Unique Map ! The atmosphere and quality are top notch and that sky with the vortex and sun rays...awesome work. The steam of water was a nice effect, very clean texturing also.

If you were to add on to this at all, it might be cool to see a solitary island some where off from the main portion, maybe a bridge connecting them...

HQ level, thanks !

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 01-08-2007 06:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got this a lil while back over at the ..::LvL's beta section, and it's very nice. It's got the lines in the sky(for me), but I popped it into my icculus's exe folder, and Dam...that's a really nice sky. Bots played good also. Worth sittin there on dial-up for over an hour to get it.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-08-2007 09:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice map, pity not Q4.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 01-10-2007 03:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

played it for half an hour against bots last night - then my mate came online so i got him to download it and laid into him for a bit.

bit wary of making gameplay criticism because i'm not a good or regular player - but it felt a bit too full of health/armor and those sloped planks were a bit odd. i liked the rl on that little platform, and the fact that everywhere was reachable and easy to learn. excellent map :)

a q4 version of this would be great.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-14-2009 03:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome gameflow in this map, it really if fun to play the map, and the bots play well. It is quite rare to find a map were I get the feeling, "yes this really works for me", neato! :D

Would any detailed feedback - this very late in the game - be of interest?

Well just in short:
  • The wooden plank texture near leading out of the RA pit is too lo-res. Or it was really stretched.
  • The skybox floor texture seems to be "empty"?
  • Skybox looks great, very ominous, alas I still see the black lines.
  • 3-4 wall textures look a bit cartoony, as if they had been part of a cell-shaded map. Since the rest of the textures are more on the realistic side, it looks a bit out of place IMO. Note the colors of the textures are fine, just the detail in them looks a bit "flat".

Anyway, really fun map... I'll be playing it the next few days :toothy:

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-14-2009 06:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot,
can it be that you created at least 6 maps, and not all of them are over at lvlworld.com? I only found three maps (Crescent Final Version, Prayers Nest, Prayers Nest II - Pray Again) there... If so, it would be a great shame not to release them there (as well).

If you have a list (e.g. link to your site) I'd go right over to lvlworld.com and suggest they test those maps.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 08-15-2009 02:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
Awesome gameflow in this map, it really if fun to play the map, and the bots play well. It is quite rare to find a map were I get the feeling, "yes this really works for me", neato! :D

Would any detailed feedback - this very late in the game - be of interest?

Well just in short:
  • The wooden plank texture near leading out of the RA pit is too lo-res. Or it was really stretched.
  • The skybox floor texture seems to be "empty"?
  • Skybox looks great, very ominous, alas I still see the black lines.
  • 3-4 wall textures look a bit cartoony, as if they had been part of a cell-shaded map. Since the rest of the textures are more on the realistic side, it looks a bit out of place IMO. Note the colors of the textures are fine, just the detail in them looks a bit "flat".

Anyway, really fun map... I'll be playing it the next few days :toothy:

It's always good, thanks a lot. I really appreciate getting feedback on the levels I make.
It's fun that you take this level up, because I was in it yesterday looking to see if there's anything I could use in a portfolio today. Probably can't.

Much of the textures are going to be reworked when I get back to the level to finalize it. I don't know when that will be though, I have a list =)
Because finalizing for me here means that I need to take this level to the graphical standard I have today, that would mean that I need to rebuild, rework and rewrite plenty of things in the level. It needs to be of the overall quality that Crescent has.
Yea, I know about the skybox... hmm. Damn I hate those lines ati-guys get, It really nullifies my work trying to really create a atmospheric feeling. Because when you see the lines you don't feel so liberated anymore.

AEon wrote:
Hipshot,
can it be that you created at least 6 maps, and not all of them are over at lvlworld.com? I only found three maps (Crescent Final Version, Prayers Nest, Prayers Nest II - Pray Again) there... If so, it would be a great shame not to release them there (as well).

If you have a list (e.g. link to your site) I'd go right over to lvlworld.com and suggest they test those maps.

I have made, since this level:

Tier-Z viewtopic.php?p=497903
History viewtopic.php?p=645468
Solar viewtopic.php?p=646995
Industrial viewtopic.php?p=705019

They are not on lvl because they are still at beta stage, there are things that needs to be fixed with them. Crescent is the only level I've really polished enough to really be a final quality level.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-15-2009 07:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
I have made, since this level:
Tier-Z, History, Solar, Industrial

Oh goody... I love giving feedback for beta maps... :)

I basically have the same problem, 4 maps almost done, but none finalized.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.