Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Screenshots

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 11-06-2009 01:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First of all ignore the overall lighting and background, it was a test area. But here you can see the difference in graphical quality between RtCW/ET era Construction Zones and OverDose Construction Zones. I haven't shown you the flag on the model because while the texture is complete, the animation of it blowing in the wind isn't:

Second of all heres a WIP shot of the FuelDump starting area:

And heres another compare shot of the start entrance:

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 11-06-2009 02:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grenader wrote:
Kat wrote:
...there's a 4096 texture limit...

Hey get with the times, it's 8192 if you use any hardware released over the past few years! :P
lol, no, there's a texture limit for the Unearthly competition.. everything has to collectively use no more than 4094x4096.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-06-2009 03:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wasn't there a polycount challenge to have people make models of only something like up to 100 tris and using 64 x 64 textures?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-07-2009 10:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sock, when are you going to release that map?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-08-2009 12:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Chi, sorry got no idea, still got one more area to complete and countless others to detail and finish the art pass on. Maybe in a month's time if things go well.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-08-2009 01:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@o'dium: Those crates are really great.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 11-08-2009 03:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've not had alot of time to work on mapping for awhile, but I played around with my curved wall section today, I want it to be much better looking eventually :E:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-08-2009 04:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I love that brick trim, one of the better brick textures I've seen. I'm having mediocre success at painting my own set. I'd like to look at it strictly for educational purposes. I can haz?

You need to work a little bit on the texturing between where the curve sections meet with the brushes, there's a clearly visible seam on both curved corner edges.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 11-08-2009 05:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You may haz good sir, ill pm you :)

Some of the things I remember doing:
-use the paint bucket with "all layers" selected and play around with the tolerance for "worn paint"/dirt look
-painstakingly select individual bricks from a photo from cgtextures and resize them onto the grid so that everything is all nice and neat

Yeah, the seams are pretty shabby looking, I'll spruce those details up in the near future.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 11-09-2009 03:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaz wrote:
I've not had alot of time to work on mapping for awhile, but I played around with my curved wall section today, I want it to be much better looking eventually :E:

[lvlshot]http://student.cs.appstate.edu/freemancw/junk/shot0043.jpg asdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdadasdad[/lvlshot]

Cool! When will be see a test level? Is it very different from the one I saw a few months back?
Take a look at this, I know the styles different, but I was thinking about the ceiling solution I did here, with the lamps. Might be something for you to look at...
http://zfight.com/misc/images/maps/m13/shot0937.jpg

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-09-2009 06:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
First of all ignore the overall lighting and background, it was a test area. But here you can see the difference in graphical quality between RtCW/ET era Construction Zones and OverDose Construction Zones. I haven't shown you the flag on the model because while the texture is complete, the animation of it blowing in the wind isn't:

o'dium - when we will see anything playable? Those screenies from Overdose are just great. And I mean everything you posted during all those months, not just recent ones. I want to play it! :) (Btw do you guys maybe need help with beta-testing or mapping :P, I really love whole project).

Sock & Hipshot - mindblowing

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 11-09-2009 06:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Trouble is mostly that we are making a game with 2 people working on it... So its not exactly going quick. Don't get me wrong, I've done gigs worth of art, maps, textures sounds and models, but its slow because I can't do the really cool stuff, like characters etc... Even with all our concepts.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-09-2009 04:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Other end of the room ... what!?! not another portal! :p

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-09-2009 04:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cool teleport! maybe add a little blue light?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-09-2009 06:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sock, I may have to ban myself from the screenshots thread until you release this map. QUIT TEASING!!!

:)-pat

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-09-2009 07:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the beginning of my noghost comp map

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-10-2009 03:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OMG fkd has returned and bearing screenshots of Q3, ummm the UT3 holiday was short? :p Nice lighting in your screenshot with the orange from below, you certainly love the shiny metal and as always the wall detail is lovely put together. Are you planning to make any of the stuff different? Like the fans, broken or missing slates, different sizes or heights? Maybe your own design for a teleporter at the end? I assume you are going to hang wires and cables in certain places?

@Pat, At the moment the look of the map is not final so it just a screenshot thing. A map release will eventually happen, but unless you like puzzles you will not like it. I can't imagine there is any harm in you posting screenshots of your noghost comp map either, keeps the screenshot thread alive! :D

Recently I created a new stone trim texture and loved it so much I decided to paint the whole room with it, but unfortunately forgot about the overall colour palette and ended up with a very mono styled look instead. So to change this I created a classic split red/white marble combo and here is a before and after shot with the changes, any thoughts? preferences? Are you a before or after person? :p

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-10-2009 03:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm a "before"-person. I really like how subtle and realistic the earlier version is.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-10-2009 03:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Sock,
I'm more for the golden middle path ;)... IMO the above version is subtle but too gray, the lower version, is much more saturated, and I'd tend to prefer that, but a texture that is about halfway between the two extremes regarding saturation, should still be subtle enough but not as "gray" ("boring").

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-10-2009 03:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

After is better imho. The contrast makes the room look higher.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-10-2009 06:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@fKd, Aha! I knew you'd come around. This contest will be a lot more fun and of much higher quality with you in it. One thing, that looks a little bit like q3tourney2. If it is, didn't you have that map going before the comp. started? Or did you just completely start over? Just making sure you're not unknowingly breaking the rules.

AEon wrote:
@Sock,
I'm more for the golden middle path ;)... IMO the above version is subtle but too gray, the lower version, is much more saturated, and I'd tend to prefer that, but a texture that is about halfway between the two extremes regarding saturation, should still be subtle enough but not as "gray" ("boring").

I'd also like to see a compromise. Right now I'd go with the "before", simply because the "after" sticks out to me too much.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I do like puzzle maps, but I have a feeling I'll still be spending most of my time just looking at the architecture and stuff.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-10-2009 07:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This new room is amazing, but it doesn't look anything like the rest of the map. I'm not getting any (ahem) wood. While this particular room is supposed to look grand and perhaps a little different than the rest of the map, I think it still needs something to tie it into the overall theme. Either add more wood (window frames, structural roof supports), or some electrical/mechanical objects to power the teleporter and the "you-know-whats". One or the other, but on the flip side, don't over do it again, since I think this room is supposed to feel slightly different. Currently, it just looks entirely different.

I'm not entirely sure what it is about the spotlights, but it makes me feel like they are the type that you would find in a hotel lobby rather than in some ancient mystical hall.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 11-10-2009 11:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey sock, inspiring stuff. :)
Wish I could pull it together and work on a map for that contest, but kinda lost interest in mapping for a long period of time now.
Keep 'em coming, might be able to spark my mappingpassion again. ;)

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 11-10-2009 11:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs you should make another map I always liked your stuff a lot

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-10-2009 12:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs,

I was wondering if you knew who the author of the "rocks_4" texture you used in your map fjo3tourney1 is. I would like to use it in a Q3 map for the contest, and I'd like to credit the correct person.

Thanks

[edit] I should have known it was Kat. Thanks Fjoggs.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-10-2009 06:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nostalgia time. I made this map a year and a half ago I think. Even though I had used the editor quite a bit previously, this was one of the first things I ever finished. It was made in one sitting.

This one will be staying on my hard drive :sly:, just thought it would be fun to post some screens.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 11-12-2009 07:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hipshot: yeah, I'd like to make my curved section really cool like that - i haven't really designed in this fashion before so it'll take some practice to start producing good stuff...

the beta will take a little while, it will be similar, but i've spent alot of time aligning various elements and trying to make the layout interesting

sock: :O

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-13-2009 07:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Pat, that last shot reminds me of Doom E3M7 - right before you drop into the Cacodemon/blood maze :owned:

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 11-13-2009 11:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Started blocking out a new map (:

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-13-2009 11:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@cityy
Open a new thread, and let us test the alpha layout/gameplay/weapons :toothy:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-14-2009 12:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@obsidian, The new room is suppose to feel bright, roomy and architecturally different with more stone and less wood (or brown palette). I want the start of the map to feel light, so when the player gets to the next part, they feel the darker atmosphere better. I like the idea of a generator device powering the portal but I do have some other plans for more detail in this area.

The large spotlight textures is based off a gorgeous wood panel I found on a street door. Initially I took the central diamond shape and extended it downward slightly into a shallow pyramid of light, but at a distance (floor to ceiling angle) it just looked flat. So here is version 3, the texture outline is stil present with the shape heavily extended outwards to create a better profile and the actual light source is now sitting in a gem socket. (Damn you torchlight!)

@Pat, that old texture of mine does look really dated nowadays. It was a lot of fun at the time, but very few people really went crazy with cutting the grout lines, which I always thought was a shame.

@Fjoggs, you are so so lazy! :p Open that map editor right now! map like the wind! :p

@Kaz, if you are going to do curved stuff, really go crazy with the detail, make it look like it would be hard to impossible to do in the editor. Add window frame edges, pipes, lights, like what hipshot suggests.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-14-2009 11:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ack machines in the making!! lol, work on my noghost mapping contest lvl

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-14-2009 11:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd,
Ahaa... I see two AEcell fangrates :toothy:

I love those orange deco edges.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-15-2009 02:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*Taken from my NoGhost competition forum*

K, I think it's time to show something.

Here is what I've done the last two days. It's a replica of a church called "The Name of the Rose", in Abruzzo, Italy.

It took me an extra day because all that frontal detail is actually on a 45 degree angle. I guess I could've modeled it and then rotated it, but I decided it would be better this way for reasons I won't ramble on about.

You won't be able to go inside the building, it's just a prop that will be in the corner of a room.

I haven't made the textures yet, I'm just using some photo sources from cgtextures right now. Just wanted to show off the geo. Hope you like it!
-pat

P.S. I think you can guess the general location of the map at this point :).

EDIT: There are a few things that I couldn't distinguish from the picture alone. Could anyone (ehem, Sock) tell me what those square "holes" in the stonework are? I haven't added them yet because I have no idea what their purpose is and I don't want to mess anything up. Also what are those light blue squares on each face of the church? They look like vents or drains or something. Sorry, I have no clue when it comes to this stuff - though I must say, Sock, the photography section of your site has been an invaluable resource for me so far. Thankyou!

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-15-2009 10:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Pat, wow, NOW that is some lovely brushwork detail, it certainly will be very cool painted in a pastel plaster. From what I can tell from other pictures of the church, the square/blue points going around the top of the church (2 per side) are probably connected to the inside. I imagine they are the ends of wood/metal beam supports for a roof structure interally and they just have a metal cap on the end to protect them from the weather. They also seem to have a metal hook in the center, but that is probably not used externally to hang anything. They are certainly a nice detail which you could extend outwards slightly and paint with a wood texture if you want to make them look older. The other holes in the building walls are probably the previous version of the internal wood beam support structure and the blue square one's are something a bit more modern. I am glad you found the pictures on my site useful :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.